- •The prevalence of monoclonal gammopathies increases with age.
- •In the elderly, some comorbidities can mimic myeloma-related symptomatology.
- •It is crucial to establish the differential diagnosis to not overtreat MGUS/SMM.
- •Geriatric assessment may improve the management of MGUS/SMM elderly patients.
- •Further investigation is required to define the optimal treatment in high-risk SMM.
Abbreviations:MGUS (Monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance), SMM (smoldering multiple myeloma), IMWG (International Myeloma Working Group (IMWG)), MDE (myeloma-defining event term), sFLC (serum free light chain), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), BMPCs (bone marrow plasma cells), GA (geriatric assessment), VTD (venous thromboembolic disease), MGAPN (Monoclonal gammopathy-associated peripheral neuropathy), MGRS (Monoclonal gammopathy of renal significance), WM (Waldënstrom's macroglobulinemia), PN (peripheral neuropathy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Prevalence of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 1362-1369
- Incidence of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance and estimation of duration before first clinical recognition.Mayo Clin Proc. 2012; 87: 1071-1079
- Racial disparities in the prevalence of monoclonal gammopathies: a population-based study of 12,482 persons from the National Health and nutritional examination survey.Leukemia. 2014; 28: 1537-1542
- Obesity is associated with an increased risk of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance among black and white women.Blood. 2010; 116: 1056-1059
- Treatment for high-risk smoldering myeloma. The New England journal of medicine.369. 2013: 1762-1763
- International Myeloma Working Group updated criteria for the diagnosis of multiple myeloma.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: e538-e548
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance: a new proposal of workup.Eur J Haematol. 2013; 91: 356-360
Go RS, Rajkumar SV. How I manage monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance. 2018;131:163–73.
- Disease associations with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance: a population-based study of 17,398 patients.Mayo Clin Proc. 2009; 84: 685-693
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance and risk of skeletal fractures: a population-based study.Blood. 2010; 116: 2651-2655
- Factors associated with an increased risk of vertebral fracture in monoclonal gammopathies of undetermined significance.Blood Cancer J. 2015; 5e345
- Dietary supplements and disease prevention - a global overview.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2016; 12: 407-420
- Hypercoagulability in multiple myeloma and its precursor state, monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance.Semin Hematol. 2011; 48: 46-54
- The relationship between monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance and venous thromboembolic disease.Thromb Res. 2010; 125: 216-219
- Arterial and venous thrombosis in patients with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance: incidence and risk factors in a cohort of 1491 patients.Br J Haematol. 2013; 160: 673-679
- Risk of acute leukemia and myelodysplastic syndromes in patients with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS): a population-based study of 17 315 patients.Leukemia. 2013; 27: 1391-1393
- A case series of autoimmune diseases accompanied by incidentally diagnosed monoclonal gammopathy: is there a link between the two diseases?.Int J Rheum Dis. 2014; 17: 635-639
- Personal and family history of immune-related conditions increase the risk of plasma cell disorders: a population-based study.Blood. 2011; 118: 6284-6291
- Risk of multiple myeloma and monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance among white and black male United States veterans with prior autoimmune, infectious, inflammatory, and allergic disorders.Blood. 2008; 111: 3388-3394
- History of autoimmune disease is associated with impaired survival in multiple myeloma and monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance: a population-based study.Ann Hematol. 2017; 96: 261-269
- Prior autoimmune disease and risk of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance and multiple myeloma: a systematic review.in: Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention: A Publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, Cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology. vol. 23. 2014: 332-342
- Monoclonal Gammopathy-associated peripheral neuropathy: diagnosis and management.Mayo Clin Proc. 2017; 92: 838-850
- Diagnosis of monoclonal gammopathy of renal significance.Kidney Int. 2015; 87: 698-711
- Monoclonal gammopathy of renal significance: when MGUS is no longer undetermined or insignificant.Blood. 2012; 120: 4292-4295
- Whole-body computed tomography versus conventional skeletal survey in patients with multiple myeloma: a study of the international myeloma working group.Blood Cancer J. 2017; 7e599
- Prognostic significance of focal lesions in whole-body magnetic resonance imaging in patients with asymptomatic multiple myeloma.J. Clin. Oncol. 2010; 28: 1606-1610
- The prognostic importance of the presence of more than one focal lesion in spine MRI of patients with asymptomatic (smoldering) multiple myeloma.Leukemia. 2014; 28: 2402-2403
- Diagnosis of smoldering multiple myeloma.New Engl. J. Med. 2011; 365: 474-475
- Extensive bone marrow infiltration and abnormal free light chain ratio identifies patients with asymptomatic myeloma at high risk for progression to symptomatic disease.Leukemia. 2013; 27: 947-953
- Serum free light chain ratio as a biomarker for high-risk smoldering multiple myeloma.Leukemia. 2013; 27: 941-946
- How Should We Treat Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma Patients? ASH Education Program Book.2013. 2013: 488-495
- Geriatric assessment predicts survival and toxicities in elderly myeloma patients: an International Myeloma Working Group report.Blood. 2015; 125: 2068-2074
- Performance of two geriatric screening tools in older patients with cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 19-26
- Monoclonal Gammopathy of undetermined significance and multiple myeloma in older adults.Clin Geriatr Med. 2016; 32: 191-205
- A long-term study of prognosis in monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance.New Engl. J. Med. 2002; 346: 564-569
- Prevalence and risk of progression of light-chain monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance: a retrospective population-based cohort study.Lancet (London, England). 2010; 375: 1721-1728
- Prevalence and progression of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance and light-chain MGUS in Germany.Ann Hematol. 2012; 91: 243-248
- Prognostic factors for malignant transformation in monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance and smoldering multiple myeloma.J. Clin. Oncol. 2002; 20: 1625-1634
- Pathogenesis and progression of monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance.Leukemia. 2008; 22: 1651-1657
- Serum free light chain ratio is an independent risk factor for progression in monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance.Blood. 2005; 106: 812-817
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance: predictors of malignant transformation and recognition of an evolving type characterized by a progressive increase in M protein size.Mayo Clin Proc. 2007; 82: 428-434
- Risk of progression in smouldering myeloma and monoclonal gammopathies of unknown significance: comparative analysis of the evolution of monoclonal component and multiparameter flow cytometry of bone marrow plasma cells.Br J Haematol. 2010; 148: 110-114
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance and risk of lymphoid and myeloid malignancies: 728 cases followed up to 30 years in Sweden.Blood. 2014; 123: 338-345
- New criteria to identify risk of progression in monoclonal gammopathy of uncertain significance and smoldering multiple myeloma based on multiparameter flow cytometry analysis of bone marrow plasma cells.Blood. 2007; 110: 2586-2592
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS) and smoldering (asymptomatic) multiple myeloma: IMWG consensus perspectives risk factors for progression and guidelines for monitoring and management.Leukemia. 2010; 24: 1121-1127
- Clinical course and prognosis of smoldering (asymptomatic) multiple myeloma. The New England journal of medicine.356. 2007: 2582-2590
- Bence Jones proteinuria in smoldering multiple myeloma as a predictor marker of progression to symptomatic multiple myeloma.Leukemia. 2016; 30: 2026-2031
- High levels of peripheral blood circulating plasma cells as a specific risk factor for progression of smoldering multiple myeloma.Leukemia. 2013; 27: 680-685
- Quantification of circulating clonal plasma cells via multiparametric flow cytometry identifies patients with smoldering multiple myeloma at high risk of progression.Leukemia. 2017; 31: 130-135
- Smoldering multiple myeloma: natural history and recognition of an evolving type.Br J Haematol. 2003; 123: 631-636
- Impact of primary molecular cytogenetic abnormalities and risk of progression in smoldering multiple myeloma.Leukemia. 2013; 27: 1738-1744
- Monoclonal gammopathies of undetermined significance do not systematically require a specialized consultation.La Revue de Med. Int. 2015; 36: 444-449
- Lenalidomide plus dexamethasone for high-risk smoldering multiple myeloma.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 438-447
- Lenalidomide plus dexamethasone versus observation in patients with high-risk smouldering multiple myeloma (QuiRedex): long-term follow-up of a randomised, controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 1127-1136