- •More than a half of chronic pain patients are not treated at admission.
- •Almost a half of chronic pain patients are still not treated at discharge.
- •Treated chronic patients do not decrease significantly their pain intensity.
- •It is a needed a greater attention to the management of chronic pain in elderly.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Overview of persistent pain in older adults.Am Psychol. 2014; 69: 197-207
- Pain characteristics of adults 65 years of age and older referred to a tertiary care pain clinic.Pain Res Manag. 2008; 13: 389-394
- Common chronic pain conditions in developed and developing countries: gender and age differences and comorbidity with depression-anxiety disorders.J Pain. 2008; 9: 883-891
- Pain Management in the Elderly Population: a review.Oschner J. 2010; 10: 179-187
- Impact and recognition of cognitive impairment among hospitalized elders.J Hosp Med. 2010; 5: 69-75
- Management of persistent pain in the older patient: a clinical review.JAMA. 2014; 312: 825-836
- Improving the pharmacologic management of pain in older adults: identifying the research gaps and methods to address them.Pain Med. 2011; 12: 1336-1357
- Factors affecting mortality in elderly patients hospitalized for nonmalignant reasons.J Aging Res. 2014; 2014: 584315
- Impact of comorbidity on mortality among older persons with advanced heart failure.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 513-519
- Guidance on the management of pain in older people.Age Ageing. 2013; 42 (Epub ahead of print)
- An interdisciplinary expert consensus statement on assessment of pain in older persons.Clin J Pain. 2007; 23: S1-S43
- Opioids and the management of chronic severe pain in the elderly: Consensus statement of an international expert panel with focus on the six clinically most often used world health organization step III opioids (Buprenorphine, Fentanyl, Hydromorphone).Met Pain Pract. 2008; 8: 287-313
- The management of persistent pain in older persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: S205-S224
- Pharmacological Management of Persistent Pain in older persons.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57: 1331-1346
- Predictors of quality of life among hospitalized geriatric patients with diabetes mellitus upon discharge.Clin Interv Aging. 2016; 11: 1455-1461
- Opioids for chronic pain: new evidence, new strategies, safe prescribing.Am J Med. 2013; 126: S3-S11
- The stigma of low opioid prescription in the hospitalized multimorbid elderly in Italy.Intern Emerg Med. 2015; 10: 305-313
- A close link between opioid-related mortality and medicines commonly used for chronic pain.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2017; 26: 15/16
- Polypharmacy, length of hospital stay, and in-hospital mortality among elderly patients in internal medicine wards. The REPOSI study.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2011; 67: 507-519
- Prognostic value of estimated glomerular filtration rate in hospitalized elderly patients.Intern Emerg Med. 2014; 9 ((Epub ahead of print)
- Dementia in elderly persons in a general hospital.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 704-707
- Mental and behavioral disturbances in dementia: findings from the cache county study on memory in aging.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 708-714
- The consequences of non-cognitive symptoms of dementia in medical hospital departments.Int J Psychiatry Med. 2003; 33: 257-271
- Dementia and depression in elderly medical inpatients.Int Psychogeriatr. 2000; 12: 67-75
- Chronic back pain is associated with decreased prefrontal and thalamic gray matter density.J Neurosci. 2004; 24: 10410-10415
- Cognitive and emotional control of pain and its disruption in chronic pain.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2013; 14: 502-511
- Cognitive function in patients with chronic pain treated with opioids: characteristics and associated factors.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2012; 56: 1257-1266
- Pain and depression: an integrative review of neurobiological and psychological factors.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2013; 15 (Epub ahead of print)
- The complex interplay between pain intensity, depression, anxiety and catastrophising with respect to quality of life and disability.Disabil Rehabil. 2009; 31: 1605-1613
- Defining the clinically important difference in pain outcome measures.Pain. 2000; 88: 287-294
- Interpreting the clinical importance of treatment outcomes in chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.J Pain. 2008; 9: 105-121