- •Timing of clinical complications impacts prognosis in LSIE.
- •Renal failure and septic shock after surgery are the strongest predictors.
- •In hospital mortality of LSIE depends mainly on clinical evolution after surgery.
- •Prognostic reassessment after surgery for LSIE is mandatory.
Abbreviations:LSIE (Left-sided infective endocarditis), IE (Infective endocarditis), OR (Odds ratio)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Clinical presentation, etiology, and outcome of infective endocarditis in the 21st century: the international collaboration on endocarditis-prospective cohort study.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 463-473
- Management of infective endocarditis: challenges and perspectives.Lancet. 2012; 379: 965-975
- Contemporary epidemiology and prognosis of septic shock in infective endocarditis.Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 1999-2006
- Comments on the ESC 2015 guidelines for the management of infective endocarditis.Rev Esp Cardiol. 2016; 69: 7-10
- In-hospital mortality of infective endocarditis: prognostic factors and evolution over an 8-year period.Scand J Infect Dis. 2007; 39: 849-857
- Changing profile of infective endocarditis: results of a 1-year survey in France.JAMA. 2002; 288: 75-81
- Evolution of prognosis in left-sided infective endocarditis: a propensity score analysis of 2 decades.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 111-112
- 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of infective endocarditis: the task force for the management of infective endocarditis of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Endorsed by: European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS), the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM).Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 3075-3128
- Early surgery versus conventional treatment for infective endocarditis.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 2466-2473
- The timing of surgery influences mortality and morbidity in adults with severe complicated infective endocarditis: a propensity analysis.Eur Heart J. 2011; 32: 2027-2033
- Complicated left-sided native valve endocarditis in adults: risk classification for mortality.JAMA. 2003; 289: 1933-1940
- Early surgery in patients with infective endocarditis: a propensity score analysis.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 364-372
- Impact of valve surgery on 6-month mortality in adults with complicated, left-sided native valve endocarditis: a propensity analysis.JAMA. 2003; 290: 3207-3214
- Infective endocarditis in Europe: lessons from the Euro heart survey.Heart. 2005; 91: 571-575
- Clinical and prognostic profile of patients with infective endocarditis who need urgent surgery.Eur Heart J. 2007; 28: 65-71
- New criteria for the diagnosis of infective endocarditis: utilization of specific echocardiographic findings.Am J Med. 1994; 96: 200-209
- Proposed modifications to the Duke criteria for the diagnosis of infective endocarditis.Clin Infect Dis. 2000; 30: 633-638
- Age-dependent profile of left-sided infective endocarditis: a 3-center experience.Circulation. 2010; 121: 892-897
- Definition, clinical profile, microbiological spectrum and prognostic factors of early-onset prosthetic valve endocarditis.Eur Heart J. 2007; 28: 760-765
- Prognostic stratification of patients with left-sided endocarditis determined at admission.Am J Med. 2007; 120 ([369–367])
- Septic shock; current pathogenetic concepts from a clinical perspective.Med Sci Monit. 2005; 11: RA76-85
- Risk factors for post- operative chest wound infections due to gram-negative bacteria in car- diac surgery patients.J Chemother. 2006; 18: 402-408
- The role of postoperative factors in surgical site infections: time to take notice.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: 1272-1276
- Long-term outcome of active infective endocarditis with renal insufficiency in cardiac surgery.Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012; 18: 216-221
- Short-course adjunctive gentamicin as empirical therapy in patients with severe sepsis and septic shock: a prospective observational cohort study.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 64: 1731-1736
- Transient and persistent worsening renal function during hospitalization for acute heart failure.Am Heart J. 2014; 168: 891-900
- Pathophysiology of septic acute kidney injury.Contrib Nephrol. 2016; 187: 36-46
- Fluid overload and survival in critically ill patients with acute kidney injury receiving continuous renal replacement therapy.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0172137