- •Frailty is a state of late-life characterized by increased vulnerability to stressors and is associated with poor health outcomes
- •Different definitions of frailty have been proposed to help different stakeholders. The Frailty Index (FI) proposed by Rockwood and Mitnitski is one of the most promising tools for measuring frailty.
- •It is defined following a arithmetical model aimed at capturing the age-related accumulation of health deficits concerning different domains, such as cognition and mood, organ diseases, functional autonomy.
- •In this study the FI confirms its predictive value for in-hospital and short term mortality even when it is applied to a large sample of hospitalized older patients.
- •The design and implementation of the FI in the hospital setting will potentially provide both an outcome of interest as well as a possible variable capturing the complexity of the older patient.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Frailty consensus: a call to action.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013 Jun; 14: 392-397https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2013.03.022
- A global clinical measure of fitness and frailty in elderly people.CMAJ. 2005; 173: 489-495
- Frailty in relation to the accumulation of deficits.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007; 62: 722-727
- Frailty assessment instruments: systematic characterization of the uses and contexts of highly-cited instruments.Ageing Res Rev. 2016 Mar; 26: 53-61https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arr.2015.12.003
- Standardizing assessment of elderly people in acute care: the interRAI acute care instrument.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008 Mar; 56: 536-541
- Functional evaluation: the BARTHEL index.Md State Med J. 1965; 14: 61-65
- Validation of a short orientation-memory-concentration test of cognitive impairment.Am J Psychiatry. 1983; 140: 734-739
- Depression scales for the elderly: GDS, Gilleard, Zung.Clin Gerontol. 1987; 6: 51-53
- Towers A. Manual of guidelines for scoring the cumulative illness rating scale for geriatrics (CIRS-G).University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburg, Pa1991
- Ardoino I; REPOSI investigators. Defining aging phenotypes and related outcomes: clues to recognize frailty in hospitalized older patients.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017 Mar 1; 72: 395-402
- Pattern of in hospital changes in drug use in the older peoplefrom 2010 to 2016.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2017; : 1-6https://doi.org/10.1002/pds.4330
- A standard procedure for creating a frailty index.BMC Geriatr. 2008; 8: 24
- Regression models and life tables.J R Stat Soc. 1972; 34: 187-220
- Regression modelling strategies with applications to linear models, logistic regression, and survival analysis.Springer, New York, NY2001
- Multiple imputation for missing data in epidemiological and clinical research: potential and pitfalls.BMJ. 2009; 338b2393
- Multiple imputation using chained equations: issues and guidance for practice.Stat Med. 2011; 30: 377-399
- Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations.J Am Stat Assoc. 1958; 53: 457-481
- SAS/STAT user's guide 9.4. SAS Institute, Inc, Carey, NC2008
- R: A language and environment for statistical computing, Vienna, R foundation for statistical computing.2008
- MICE: multivariate imputation by chained equations in R.Journal of Statistical Software. 2011; 45
- Frailty index and mortality in nursing home residents in France: results from the INCUR study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2015; 16: 603-606
- Development and validation of an electronic frailty index using routine primary care electronic health record data.Age Ageing. 2016; 45: 353-360
- Promoting the assessment of frailty in the clinical approach to cognitive disorders.Front Aging Neurosci. 2017; 9: 36
- A frailty index predicts survival and incident multimorbidity independent of markers of HIV disease severity.AIDS. 2015; 29: 1633-1641
- Derivation of a frailty index from the interRAI acute care instrument.BMC Geriatr. 2015 Mar 18; 1527https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-015-0026-z