- •Sepsis is a major global health problem and challenges physicians over the world.
- •Sepsis is now defined according to new definitions of Sepsis-3.
- •Sepsis-3 criteria demands the presence of organ disfunction thus delaying treatment.
- •SOFA criteria are too extensive and difficult to apply outside intensive care units.
- •An association of old SIRS and new qSOFA should be validated by adequate trials.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Surviving Sepsis campaign.Crit Care Med. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000002255
- SIRS in the time of Sepsis-3.Chest. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chest.2017.10.006
- Novel biomarkers for sepsis: a narrative review.Eur J Intern Med. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2017.09.030
- Sepsis: current definition, pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management.Nutr Clin Pract. 2017; 32: 296-308https://doi.org/10.1177/0884533617695243
- New definitions for Sepsis and septic shock.JAMA. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.0290
- Definitions for sepsis and organ failure and guidelines for the use of innovative therapies in sepsis.Chest. 1992; https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.101.6.1644
- Changing definitions of Sepsis.Turkish J Anesth Reanim. 2017; 45: 129-138https://doi.org/10.5152/TJAR.2017.93753
- 2001 SCCM/ESICM/ACCP/ATS/SIS international Sepsis definitions conference.Crit Care Med. 2003; 31: 1250-1256https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000050454.01978.3B
- The third international consensus definitions for Sepsis and septic shock (Sepsis-3).JAMA. 2016; 315: 801-810https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.0287
- SIRS, qSOFA and new sepsis definition.J Thorac Dis. 2017; 9: 943-945https://doi.org/10.21037/jtd.2017.03.125
- Pre-sepsis: a necessary concept to complete the SEPSIS-3 picture?.J Crit Care. 2017; 44: 148https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2017.10.041
- The new sepsis consensus definitions: the good, the bad and the ugly.Intensive Care Med. 2016; 42: 2024-2026https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-016-4604-0
- The influence of a change in septic shock definitions on intensive care epidemiology and outcome: comparison of sepsis-2 and sepsis-3 definitions.Infect Dis (Auckl). 2017; : 1-7https://doi.org/10.1080/23744235.2017.1383630
- Comparison of the performance between Sepsis-1 and Sepsis-3 in ICUs in China.Shock. 2017; 48: 301-306https://doi.org/10.1097/SHK.0000000000000868
- Defining sepsis on the wards: results of a multi-Centre point-prevalence study comparing two sepsis definitions.Anaesthesia. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.14062
- The impact of the Sepsis-3 septic shock definition on previously defined septic shock patients*.Crit Care Med. 2017; 45: 1436-1442https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000002512
- An emergency department validation of the SEP-3 sepsis and septic shock definitions and comparison with 1992 consensus definitions.Ann Emerg Med. 2017; 70: 544-552.e5https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2017.01.008
- What definition should we use for Sepsis and septic shock?*.Crit Care Med. 2017; 45: 1564-1567https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000002544
- Current clinical controversies in the management of sepsis.J R Coll Physicians Edinb. 2016; 46: 263-269https://doi.org/10.4997/JRCPE.2016.413
- Serial evaluation of the sofa score to predict outcome in critically ill patients.JAMA. 2001; 286: 1754-1758
- Assessment of mortality by qSOFA in patients with sepsis outside ICU: a post hoc subgroup analysis by the Japanese Association for Acute Medicine Sepsis Registry Study Group.J Infect Chemother. 2017; 23: 757-762https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiac.2017.07.005
- Prognostic accuracy of the SOFA score, SIRS criteria, and qSOFA score for in-hospital mortality among adults with suspected infection admitted to the intensive care unit.JAMA. 2017; 317: 290https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.20328
- Low sensitivity of qSOFA SIRS criteria and sepsis definition to identify infected patients at risk of complication in the prehospital setting and at the emergency department triage.Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2017; 25: 108https://doi.org/10.1186/s13049-017-0449-y
- The recognition and management of sepsis and septic shock: a guide for non-intensivists.Postgrad Med J. 2017; 93: 626-634https://doi.org/10.1136/postgradmedj-2016-134519