- •A total of 438 COPD patients with respiratory failure in 3 years of interval.
- •The best nutritional assessment method varies in prediction of different prognosis.
- •ALB level is superior to predict the short term prognosis.
- •NRS 2002 is better for the prediction of long-term clinical outcome.
Abbreviation list:ALB (Serum albumin), AUROC (Area under the ROC curve), BMI (Body mass index), CI (Confidence intervals), COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), HIS (Hospital information system), IRB (Institutional review board), LR (Likelihood ratio), NRS 2002 (Nutritional Risk Screening 2002), OR (Odds ratio), ROC (Receiver operating characteristic), SD (Standard deviation), WCH (West China Hospital)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Nutritional risk screening 2002 as a predictor of outcome during general Ward-based noninvasive ventilation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with respiratory failure.Med Sci Monit. 2015; 21: 2786-2793
- Nutritional status and long-term mortality in hospitalised patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).Respir Med. 2007; 101: 1954-1960
- The impact of nutrition status on clinical prognosis in elderly patients with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.J Intern Med Concepts Pract. 2014; 9: 407-410
- Malnutrition and obesity: influence in mortality and readmissions in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2013; 26: 16-22
- Body mass index and mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2012; 7e43892
- Body mass index and mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a dose–response meta-analysis.Medicine. 2016; 95e4225
- Paradoxical association between body mass index and in-hospital mortality in elderly patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Japan.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2014; 9: 1337-1346
- Midthigh muscle cross-sectional area is a better predictor of mortality than body mass index in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166: 809-813
- Body mass, fat-free body mass, and prognosis in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease from a random population sample: findings from the Copenhagen city heart study.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006; 173: 79-83
- Comparison of four nutritional screening tools to detect nutritional risk in hospitalized patients: a multicentre study.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011; 65: 269-274
- Comparison of nutritional risk screening tools for predicting clinical outcomes in hospitalized patients.Nutrition. 2010; 26: 721-726
- Nutritional risk screening in surgery: valid, feasible, easy!.Clin Nutr. 2012; 31: 206-211
- NRS2002 assesses nutritional status of leukemia patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.Chin J Cancer Res. 2012; 24: 299-303
- Three methods assess nutritional status of leukemia patients before hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.Chin Med J (Engl). 2012; 125: 440-443
- Serum albumin as predictor of nutritional status in patients with ESRD.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 7: 1446-1453
- The combined use of three widely available biochemical markers as predictor of organ failure in critically ill patients.Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2016; 76: 479-485
- Serum albumin level on admission as a predictor of death, length of stay, and readmission.Arch Intern Med. 1992; 152: 125-130
- Factors affecting survival of hospitalised patients with COPD.Eur Respir J. 2005; 26: 234-241
- Human serum albumin: from bench to bedside.Mol Aspects Med. 2012; 33: 209-290
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007; 176: 532-555
- Validity of predictive equations for resting energy expenditure according to the body mass index in a population of 1726 patients followed in a nutrition unit.Clin Nutr. 2015; 34: 529-535
- Disease-related malnutrition: an evidence-based approach to treatment.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2003; 16: 375
- Introduction of body mass index classification suggestion in Chinese adult.Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2001; 35: 349-350
- Nutritional risk screening (NRS 2002): a new method based on an analysis of controlled clinical trials.Clin Nutr. 2003; 22: 321-336
- ESPEN guidelines for nutrition screening 2002.Clin Nutr. 2003; 22: 415-421
- Medical nutrition.People's Medical Publishing House, Bejing1998
- Am J Kidney Dis. 1998; 31: 997-1006
- The purpose of the study is to explore the relationship between serum IL-18, TFN-αand nutritional status, prognosis in patients with COPD in severe stage.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 187: A1521
- Nutritional risk screening 2002 should be used in hospitalized patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with respiratory failure to determine prognosis: a validation on a large Chinese cohort.Eur J Intern Med. 2016; 36e16-e7
- Pre-operative nutritional status is an independent predictor of 30-day hospital readmission after elective spine surgery.Spine. 2016; 41: 1400-1404