- •Forty percent of subjects without multimorbidity are frail or prefrail.
- •Frailty and pre-frailty increase mortality risk even in absence of multimorbidity.
- •Screening for frailty in individuals without multimorbidity might be beneficial.
- •Future research should focus on causes of frailty other than chronic diseases.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Frailty in elderly people.Lancet. 2013; 381: 752-762
- Frailty and risk of adverse outcomes in hospitalized older adults: a comparison of different frailty measures.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18 (638 e637-638 e611)
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M146-M156
- Aging with multimorbidity: a systematic review of the literature.Ageing Res Rev. 2011; 10: 430-439
- Multimorbidity and mortality in older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2016; 67: 130-138
- Frailty and multimorbidity: two related yet different concepts.Maturitas. 2017; 95: 31-35
- An international perspective on chronic multimorbidity: approaching the elephant in the room.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017 Sep 16; ([Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28957993)https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glx178
- Co-presence of multimorbidity and disability with frailty: an examination of heterogeneity in the frail older population.J Frailty Aging. 2015; 4: 131-138
- Multi-morbidity, dependency, and frailty singly or in combination have different impact on health outcomes.Age (Dordr). 2014; 36: 923-931
- Transitions in frailty states among community-living older adults and their associated factors.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 281-286
- A longitudinal study integrating population, care and social services data. The Swedish National study on Aging and Care (SNAC).Aging Clin Exp Res. 2004; 16: 158-168
- Assessing and measuring chronic multimorbidity in the older population: a proposal for its operationalization.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017; 72: 1417-1423
- Assessing self-maintenance: activities of daily living, mobility, and instrumental activities of daily living.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1983; 31: 721-727
- Frail phenotype and mortality prediction: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies.Int J Nurs Stud. 2015; 52: 1362-1374
- Disability and co-morbidity in relation to frailty: how much do they overlap?.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2012; 55: e1-e8
- A standard procedure for creating a frailty index.BMC Geriatr. 2008; 8: 24
- Frailty and chronic diseases in older adults.Clin Geriatr Med. 2011; 27: 39-52
- Association between frailty and subclinical peripheral vascular disease in a community-dwelling geriatric population: Taichung Community Health Study for Elders.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2015; 15: 261-267
- Associations of subclinical cardiovascular disease with frailty.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M158-M166
- Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and frailty among older men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015; 100: 4524-4532
- Effects of multi-domain interventions in (pre)frail elderly on frailty, functional, and cognitive status: a systematic review.Clin Interv Aging. 2017; 12: 873-896