- •The predictive models for hypertensive patients have several limitations.
- •We estimated a new model in hypertensive inpatients to predict mortality.
- •The model was adapted to a points system to be used in clinical practice.
- •The model has been internally validated using the recommended guidelines.
- •We encourage other authors to externally validate our points system.
Abbreviations:DBP (Diastolic blood pressure), CCI (Charlson Comorbidity Index), CI (Confidence interval), EQ5-D (EuroQol five dimensions questionnaire), EPV (Events-per-variable), PREDIMED (Prevention with Mediterranean diet), RAPA (Rapid Assessment of Physical Activity), SBP (Systolic blood pressure)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
World Health Organization. The Top 10 Causes of Death. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/ [updated January 2017; accessed October 2017].
- Factors associated with emergency department use among the rural elderly.J Rural Health. 2011; 27: 39-49
- General cardiovascular risk profile for use in primary care: the Framingham Heart Study.Circulation. 2008; 117: 743-753
- Primary and subsequent coronary risk appraisal: new results from the Framingham study.Am Heart J. 2000; 139: 272-281
- Predicting the 30-year risk of cardiovascular disease: the Framingham heart study.Circulation. 2009; 119: 3078-3084
- Prediction of coronary heart disease using risk factor categories.Circulation. 1998; 97: 1837-1847
- Prevalencia de hipertensión arterial en población mayor de 65 años ingresada en un Servicio de Medicina Interna.An Med Interna. 2006; 23: 577-581
- Estudio de la población hipertensa muy anciana ingresada en un hospital comarcal.An Med Interna. 2006; 23: 166-172
- Sample size calculation to externally validate scoring systems based on logistic regression models.PLoS One. 2017; e0176726: 12
- A score for predicting risk of death from cardiovascular disease in adults with raised blood pressure, based on individual patient data from randomized controlled trials.BMJ. 2001; 323: 75-81
- Second Australian National Blood Pressure Management Committee. Prediction of cardiovascular and all-cause mortality at 10 years in the hypertensive aged population.Am J Hypertens. 2015; 28: 649-656
- Critical appraisal and data extraction for systematic reviews of prediction modelling studies: the CHARMS checklist.PLoS Med. 2014; 11: e1001744
- Developing risk prediction models for type 2 diabetes: a systematic review of methodology and reporting.BMC Med. 2011; 9: 103
- Impact of using the ASIGNA computer program in a hospital emergency department.Emergencias. 2014; 26: 188-194
- Predictive models for all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in type 2 diabetic inpatients. A cohort study.Int J Clin Pract. 2015; 69: 474-484
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- The Rapid Assessment of Physical Activity (RAPA) among older adults.Prev Chronic Dis. 2006; 3: A118
- PREDIMED Study Investigators. A 14-item Mediterranean diet assessment tool and obesity indexes among high-risk subjects: the PREDIMED trial.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e43134
- EuroQol--a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life.Health Policy. 1990; 16: 199-208
- How to develop a more accurate risk prediction model when there are few events.BMJ. 2015; 351: h3868
- Presentation of multivariate data for clinical use: The Framingham Study risk score functions.Stat Med. 2004; 23: 1631-1660
- A calibration hierarchy for risk models was defined: from utopia to empirical data.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 74: 167-176