- •CLT can explain why learners struggle to master complex concepts and develop expertise.
- •The human cognitive system has a limited capacity that can retain only 7 elements of information.
- •There are 3 types of cognitive load that explains the limited resources of the working memory.
- •CLT can help clinical teachers maximize the efficiency of their teaching efforts.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Clinical problem-solving. A patient with syncope.N Engl J Med. 2013 Sep 5; 369 ([Fox MC1, Lakdawala N, Miller AL, Loscalzo J]): 966-972
- Harrison's principles of internal medicine.(19th edition.) McGraw Hill Education, New York2015
- Council of the society of general internal medicine. Academic general internal medicine: a mission for the future.J Gen Intern Med. 2013 Jun; 28: 845-851
- Developing the master learner: applying learning theory to the learner, the teacher, and the learning environment.Acad Med. 2013 Nov.; 88: 1635-1645
- The evolution of cognitive load theory and its application to medical education.Perspect Med Educ. 2015 Jun.; 4: 119-127
- Cognitive load during problem solving: effects on learning.Cognit Sci. 1988; 12: 257-285
- Cognitive load theory: Implications for medical education: AMEE guide no. 86.Med Teach. 2014 May; 36: 371-384
- Models of working memory: mechanisms of active maintenance and executive control.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge; New York1999
- Working memory.Curr Biol. 2010; 20: R136-R140
- Fifty years of memory for names and faces: a cross-sectional approach.J Exp Psychol Gen. 1975; 104: 54-75
- The magical number seven, plus or minus two: some limits on our capacity for processing information.Psychol Rev. 1956; 63: 81-97
- Working memory: Theories, models, and controversies.Annu Rev Psychol. 2012; 63: 1-29
- Essentials of human memory.Psychology Press, Hove, England1999
- How expertise develops in medicine: knowledge encapsulation and illness script formation.Med Educ. 2007 Dec.; 41 ([Epub 2007 Nov 13]): 1133-1139
- Cognitive load theory in health professional education: design principles and strategies.Med Educ. 2010; 44: 85-93
- Redefining simulator proficiency using automaticity theory.Am J Surg. 2007 Apr; 193: 502-506
- Applying cognitive load theory to medical education: construct and measurement challenges.Perspect Med Educ. 2015 Jun; 4: 107-109
- The expertise reversal effect.Educ Psychol. 2003; 38: 23-31
- Attention and automation: New perspectives on mental underload and performance.Theor Issues Ergon Sci. 2002; 3: 178-194
- Twelve tips for medical curriculum design from a cognitive load theory perspective.Med Teach. 2016 Jul; 38: 669-674
- Efficiency in learning: evidence-based guidelines to manage cognitive load. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.2006
- The learning effects of different presentations of worked examples on medical students' breaking-bad-news skills: A randomized and blinded field trial.in: Patient educ couns [Internet]. 2018 (cited 2018 Jun 6; Available from)
- Variability of worked examples and transfer of geometrical problem-solving skills: a cognitive load approach.J Educ Psychol. 1994; 86: 122-133
- When two sensory modes are better than one.J Exp Psychol Appl. 1997; 3: 257-287
- Unpacking the complexity of patient handoffs through the lens of cognitive load theory.Teach Learn Med. 2016; 28: 88-96
- Cognitive load and its implications for health care. NEJM catalyst.https://catalyst.nejm.org/cognitive-load-theory-implications-health-care/Date: March 14, 2018
- Multimedia learning [Internet].2nd ed. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge2009
- The effectiveness of case-based learning in health professional education. A BEME systematic review: BEME Guide No. 23.Med Teach. 2012; 34: e421-e444
- Teaching & learning tips 2: Cognitive load theory.Int J Dermatol. 2017 Dec; 56: 1438-1441
- Managing cognitive load to uncover an unusual cause of syncope: Exercises in clinical reasoning.J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Feb; 31: 247-251
- Mental load: helping clinical learners.Clin Teach. 2011 Sep; 8: 168-171
- Research in clinical reasoning: past history and current trends.Med Educ. 2005 Apr; 39: 418-427
- Should we teach using schemas? Evidence from a randomised trial.Med Educ. 2012 Aug.; 46: 815-822
- “It's a cultural expectation.” The pressure on medical trainees to work independently in clinical practice.Med Educ. 2009; 43: 645-653
- Learner, patient, and supervisor features are associated with different types of cognitive load during procedural skills training: Implications for teaching and instructional design.Acad Med. 2017 Nov.; 92: 1622-1631
- Deliberate practice and the acquisition and maintenance of expert performance in medicine and related domains.Acad Med. 2004 Oct; 79: S70-S81