- •In pneumonia, CPAP was used mainly for non-hypercapnic ARF, NPPV for hypercapnic ARF.
- •Mortality was associated to patients' basal status rather than baseline degree of ARF.
- •Intolerance was responsible of clinical failure and death in only 5/60 cases (8%).
- •When CPAP failed, NPPV had a role as rescue treatment (56% survived after switch).
Background and objective
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Phenotyping community-acquired pneumonia according to the presence of acute respiratory failure and severe sepsis.Respir Res. 2014; Mar. 4; 15: 27
- Helmet continuous positive airway pressure vs oxygen therapy to improve oxygenation in community-acquired pneumonia: a randomized, controlled trial.Chest. 2010; 138: 114-120
- Physiologic effects of noninvasive ventilation during acute lung injury.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 172: 1112-1118
- Umberto MeAcute respiratory failure in patients with severe community-acquired pneumonia. A prospective randomized evaluation of noninvasive ventilation. duri G.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999; 160 (Pt 1): 1585-1591
- Non- invasive ventilation in immunosuppressed patients with pulmonary infiltrates, fever, and acute respiratory failure.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 481-487
- (2010) Early CPAP prevents evolution of acute lung injury in patients with hematologic malignancy.Intensive Care Med. 2010; 36: 1666-1674
- Infectious diseases society of America/American thoracic society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: S27-S72
- A European survey of noninvasive ventilation practices.Eur Respir J. 2010; 36: 362-369
- An international survey on noninvasive ventilation use for acute respiratory failure in general non-monitored wards.Respir Care. 2015; 60: 586-592
- Helmet CPAP vs. oxygen therapy in severe hypoxemic respiratory failure due to pneumonia.Intensive Care Med. 2014; 40: 942-949
- Pneumonia guidelines committee of the BTS standards of care committee.Thorax. 2009; 64: iii1-55
- Guidelines for the management of adult lower respiratory tract infections.Eur Respir J. 2005; 26: 1138-1180
- Non-invasive ventilation in community-acquired pneumonia and severe acute respiratory failure.Intensive Care Med. 2012; 38: 458-466
- Use of noninvasive ventilation on internal wards for elderly patients with limitations to respiratory care: a cohort study.Eur J Clin Invest. 2011; 41: 59-69
- Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2012.Crit Care Med. 2013; 41: 580-637
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Non invasive ventilation in severe hypoxemic respi- ratory failure. A randomized clinical trial.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003; 168: 1438-1444
- The role of noninvasive positive pressure ventilation in community-acquired pneumonia.J Crit Care. 2015; 30: 49-54
- Early non-invasive ventilation treatment for respiratory failure due to severe community-acquired pneumonia.Clin Respir J. 2016; 10: 98-103
- The society of critical care medicine palliative noninvasive positive pressure ventilation task force. Noninvasive positive pressure ventilation in critical and palliative care settings: Understanding the goals of therapy.Crit Care Med. 2007; 35: 932-939
- NIV and palliative care.Eur Respir Mon. 2008; 41: 287-306
- Palliative use of non-invasive ventilation in end-of-life patients with solid tumours: a randomised feasibility trial.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 219-227
- Challenges on non-invasive ventilation to treat acute respiratory failure in the elderly.BMC Pulm Med. 2016; 16: 150
- Noninvasive positive pressure ventilation reverses acute respiratory failure in select “do-not-intubate” patients.Crit Care Med. 2005; 33: 1976-1982
- Benefits and risks of success or failure of noninvasive ventilation.Intensive Care Med. 2006; 32: 1756-1765