- •Abnormal serum potassium (K+) values may be associated with poor health results in heart failure (HF) patients.
- •At admission, 3.38% of patients presented with hyperkalemia and 6.06% with hypokalemia.
- •Hyperkalemia at admission predicts a higher one-year-term risk for HF readmission and mortality.
- •Probably this association is related to the significant higher risk of readmission.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Heart failure: Preventing disease and death worldwide.ESC Heart Failure. 2014; 1: 4-25
- Comorbidity in heart failure. Results of the Spanish RICA Registry.QJM. 2014; 107: 989-994
- Clinical outcome of patients with heart failure and preserved left ventricular function.Am J Med. 2008; 121: 997-1001
- American heart association statistics committee and stroke statistics subcommittee. Heart disease and stroke statistics–2014 update: A report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2014; 129: e28-e292
- Rehospitalization for heart failure: Problems and perspectives.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 61: 391-403
- The epidemiology of heart failure, based on data for 2.1 million inhabitants in Sweden.Eur J Heart Fail. 2013; 15: 995-1002
- Heart Failure in Older Adults.Can J Cardiol. 2016; 32: 1140-1147
- Relationship between admission serum sodium concentration and clinical outcomes in patients hospitalized for heart failure: An analysis from the OPTIMIZE-HF registry.Eur Heart. 2007; 28: 980-988
- Improvement in hyponatremia during hospitalization for worsening heart failure is associated with improved outcomes: Insights from the Acute and Chronic Therapeutic Impact of a Vasopressin Antagonist in Chronic Heart Failure (ACTIV in CHF) trial.Acute Card Care. 2007; 9: 82-86
- RICA Investigators. Hyponatremia as predictor of worse outcome in real world patients admitted with acute heart failure.Cardiol J. 2013; 20: 506-512
- Relation of electrolyte disturbances to cardiac arrhythmias.Circulation. 1973; 47: 408-419
- Prospective study of heart rate variability and mortality in chronic heart failure: Results of the United Kingdom heart failure evaluation and assessment of risk trial (UK-heart).Circulation. 1998; 98: 1510-1516
- EVEREST Trial Investigators. Changes in serum potassium levels during hospitalization in patients with worsening heart failure and reduced ejection fraction (from the EVEREST trial).Am J Cardiol. 2015; 115: 790-796
- Mild hyperkalemia and outcomes in chronic heart failure: a propensity matched study.Int J Cardiol. 2010; 144: 383-388
- The effect of spironolactone on morbidity and mortality in patients with severe heart failure. Randomized aldactone evaluation study investigators.N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 709-717
- Serum potassium levels and outcome in patients with chronic heart failure.Am J Cardiol. 2016; 118: 1868-1874
- Ephesus Investigators. Serum potassium and clinical outcomes in the Eplerenone Post-Acute Myocardial Infarction Heart Failure Efficacy and Survival Study (EPHESUS).Circulation. 2008; 118: 1643-1650
- Short-term mortality risk of serum potassium levels in acute heart failure following myocardial infarction.Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Pharmacother. 2015; 1: 245-251
- Serum potassium levels and outcome in acute heart failure (Data from the PROTECT and COACH Trials).Am J Cardiol. 2017; 119: 290-296
- Long-term potassium monitoring and dynamics in heart failure and risk of mortality.Circulation. 2018; 137: 1320-1330
- Basal functional status predicts three-month mortality after a heart failure hospitalization in elderly patients - the prospective RICA study.Int J Cardiol. 2014; 172: 127-131
- Montero-Pérez-Barquero M; RICA investigators group. Impact of prealbumin on mortality and hospital readmission in patients with acute heart failure.Eur J Intern Med. 2017; 43: 36-41
- 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure.Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 2129-2200
- Serum potassium decline during hospitalization for acute decompensated heart failure is a predictor of 6-month mortality, independent of N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide levels: An individual patient data analysis.Am Heart J. 2015; 170: 531-542
- Hyperkalemia in heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 68: 1575-1589
- Risk factors for hyperkalaemia in a cohort of patients with newly diagnosed heart failure: A nested case-control study in UK general practice.Eur J Heart Fail. 2015; 17: 205-213
- The meaning of hypokalemia in heart failure.Int J Cardiol. 2012; 158: 12-17
- A propensity-matched study of low serum potassium and mortality in older adults with chronic heart failure.Int J Cardiol. 2009; 11: 1-8
- Associations of serum potassium levels with mortality in chronicheart failure patients.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 2890-2896