- •There was an association between antipsychotics, and hospitalization due to hyponatremia
- •The association was stronger for first-generation than second-generation antipsychotics
- •Risperidone was not associated with an increased risk
- •In severe hyponatremia with antipsychotics, consider an alternative
- •If the indication for antipsychotic use remains, risperidone could here be an option
Antipsychotics have been claimed to cause hyponatremia. The risk associated with individual antipsychotics, or groups (first-generation [FGAs] or second-generation [SGAs] antipsychotics), is not well-documented. The objective of this study was to investigate the association between antipsychotics and hospitalization due to hyponatremia.
The general Swedish population was the base of this register–based case–control study. Comparisons were made between patients hospitalized with a principal diagnosis of hyponatremia (n = 14,359) and matched controls (n = 57,383). Multivariable logistic regression adjusting for concomitant drugs, medical conditions, previous hospitalizations and socioeconomic factors was performed to investigate the association between hyponatremia and antipsychotic use. In addition newly initiated (≤90 days) or ongoing use was analysed separately.
Compared to controls, the adjusted OR (95%CI) for hospitalization due to hyponatremia was for any antipsychotic 1.67(1.5–1.86). Individuals on FGA were more likely to experience severe hyponatremia (2.12[1.83–2.46]) than those on any SGA (1.32[1.15–1.51]). No increased risks, neither as newly initiated nor ongoing therapy, were found for risperidone (0.86[0.56–1.31] and 0.83[0.67–1.02]) and aripiprazole (1.16[0.30–4.46] and 0.62[0.27–1.34]), respectively.
There was an association between antipsychotic therapy and hospitalization due to hyponatremia. The association was stronger for FGAs than SGAs. Risperidone was not associated with an increased risk.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Incidence and prevalence of hyponatremia.Am J Med. 2006; 119: S30-S35
- Mild chronic hyponatremia is associated with falls, unsteadiness and attention deficits.Am J Med. 2006; 119: e1-e8
- Symptoms and characteristics of individuals with profound hyponatremia: a prospective multicenter observational study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 470-475
- Diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of hyponatremia: expert panel recommendations.Am J Med. 2013; 126: S1-42
- A review of drug-induced hyponatremia.Am J Kidney Dis. 2008; 52: 144-153
- Differences in associations of antidepressants and hospitalization due to hyponatremia.Am J Med. 2018; 131: 56-63
- Differences in associations of antiepileptic drugs and hospitalization due to hyponatremia: a population-based case-control study.Seizure. 2018; 59: 28-33
- Antipsychotic-induced hyponatraemia: a systematic review of the published evidence.Drug Saf. 2010; 33: 101-114
- Hyponatraemia as an adverse drug reaction of antipsychotic drugs: a case-control study in VigiBase.Drug Saf. 2010; 33: 569-578
- Atypical antipsychotic medications and hyponatremia in older adults: a population-based cohort study.Can J Kidney Health Dis. 2016; 3: 21
- Safety, tolerability, and risks associated with first- and second-generation antipsychotics: a state-of-the-art clinical review.Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2017; 13: 757-777
- Quetiapine-Induced Syndrome of Inappropriate Secretion of Antidiuretic Hormone.Case Rep Psychiatry. 2016; 20164803132
- A case report of rapid-onset hyponatremia induced by low-dose olanzapine.J Family Med Prim Care. 2017; 6: 878-880
- Management of Persistent Hyponatremia Induced by Long-acting Injectable Risperidone Therapy.Cureus. 2018; 10e2657
- Antipsychotic use is a risk factor for hyponatremia in patients with schizophrenia: a 15-year follow-up study.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2017; 234: 869-876
- Increased cardiovascular and metabolic morbidity in patients with 21-hydroxylase deficiency: a swedish population-based national cohort study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015; 100: 3520-3528
- Associations of proton pump inhibitors and hospitalization due to hyponatremia: a population-based case-control study.Eur J Intern Med. 2018; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2018.08.012
- The new Swedish Prescribed Drug Register--opportunities for pharmacoepidemiological research and experience from the first six months.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2007; 16: 726-735
- Reduced frequency of biological and increased frequency of adopted children in males with 21-hydroxylase deficiency: a swedish population-based national cohort study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017; 102: 4191-4199https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2017-01139
- R Foundation for Statistical Computing.(at URL)https://www.R-project.orgDate: 2016
- Hyponatraemia associated with psychotropic medications. A review of the literature and spontaneous reports.Adverse Drug React Toxicol Rev. 2002; 21: 17-29
- Water handling in patients receiving haloperidol decanoate.Ann Pharmacother. 1995; 29: 663-666
- Atypical antipsychotics and polydipsia: a cause or a treatment?.Hum Psychopharmacol. 2007; 22: 103-107
- PIP syndrome: a potentially threatening manifestation of a psychiatric disorder.Int J Clin Pract. 2005; 59: 612-613
- Hyponatremia in psychogenic polydipsia.Arch Intern Med. 1980; 140: 1639-1642
- Pharmacovigilance in Italy: an overview.J Pharmacol Pharmacother. 2013; 4: S20-S28
- The importance of pharmacovigilance for the drug safety: Focus on cardiovascular profile of incretin-based therapy.Int J Cardiol. 2016; 202: 731-735
- Antidepressant use and risk of adverse outcomes in older people: population based cohort study.BMJ (Clinical Research ed). 2011; 343: d4551
- Antidepressants and the risk of hyponatremia: a Danish register-based population study.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e011200
Published online: December 01, 2018
Accepted: November 27, 2018
Received in revised form: November 24, 2018
Received: October 2, 2018
© 2018 European Federation of Internal Medicine. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Corrigendum to: Antipsychotics and severe hyponatremia: A Swedish population-based case-control study. Eur J Intern Med. 2019 Feb;60:71-77.European Journal of Internal MedicineVol. 92
- PreviewThe authors regret that in preparation of a new article based on the same data as in the previous published article , we unfortunately discovered two errors in the dataset. Some cases of hyponatremia as a secondary diagnosis had erroneously been included as primary diagnosis of hyponatremia. The corrected number of cases admitted with a primary diagnosis of hyponatremia decreased to 11,213 instead of 14,359 as reported in the article, and as a consequence the number of matched controls decreased to 44,801 instead of 57,382.