- •Compression stockings reduced ankle- and calf edema during a short-haul flight.
- •Compression stockings did not improve comfort or pain in young healthy passengers.
- •Use of compression stockings did not cause any adverse events.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- The world of air transport in 2016 — Presentation of 2016 air transport statistical results.([Cited 2018 July 25] Available from:)
- Effect of long-distance flights on oedema of the lower extremities.Phlebology. 1998; 13: 64-67https://doi.org/10.1177/026835559801300207
- Prevention of edema, flight microangiopathy and venous thrombosis in long flights with elastic stockings. A randomized trial: the LONFLIT 4 Concorde Edema-SSL Study.Angiology. 2002; 53: 635-645https://doi.org/10.1177/000331970205300603
- The LONFLIT4-Concorde-Sigvaris Traveno stockings in long flights (EcoTras) study: a randomized trial.Angiology. 2003; 54: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1177/000331970305400101
- The LONFLIT4-Concorde deep venous thrombosis and edema study: prevention with travel stockings.Angiology. 2003; 54: 143-154https://doi.org/10.1177/000331970305400202
- Travel-related venous thrombosis: results from a large population-based case control study (MEGA study).PLoS Med. 2006; 3e307https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0030307
- The absolute risk of venous thrombosis after air travel: a cohort study of 8,755 employees of international organisations.PLoS Med. 2007; 4e290https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0040290
- Severe pulmonary embolism associated with air travel.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 779-783https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa010378
- Prevalence of varicose veins and chronic venous insufficiency in men and women in the general population: Edinburgh Vein Study.J Epidemiol Community Health. 1999; 53: 149-153https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.53.3.149
- Chronic venous disease in an ethnically diverse population: the San Diego Population Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 158: 448-456https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwg166
- Compression stockings for preventing deep vein thrombosis in airline passengers. The Cochrane Library. 2016.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 9 (CD004002)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd004002.pub3
- A randomised crossover study of low-ankle-pressure graduated-compression tights in reducing flight-induced ankle oedema.Med J Aust. 2008; 188: 81-84
- CONSORT 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials.BMC Med. 2010; 8: 18https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-8-18
- Does the clinically significant difference in visual analog scale pain scores vary with gender, age, or cause of pain?.Acad Emerg Med. 1998; 5: 1086-1090https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.1998.tb02667.x
- Prospective validation of clinically important changes in pain severity measured on a visual analog scale.Ann Emerg Med. 2001; 38: 633-638https://doi.org/10.1067/mem.2001.118863
- Reliability of the visual analog scale for measurement of acute pain.Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8: 1153-1157https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.2001.tb01132.x
- Managing passengers with stable respiratory disease planning air travel: British Thoracic Society recommendations.Thorax. 2011; 66: i1-i30https://doi.org/10.1136/thorax.57.4.289
- Prevention of VTE in nonsurgical patients: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.Chest. 2012; 141: e195S-e226Shttps://doi.org/10.1378/chest.11-2296