- •Legalization of cannabis is spreading around the globe without having secured its safety.
- •Cannabis use has been charged with mental, cardiovascular and other health problems.
- •It constitutes a public health hazard with alarming preponderance in younger age groups.
- •Recommending marijuana use violates the Hippocratic aphorism of “Do Good or Do No Harm”.
- •The evidence-based medicine paradigm should be applied to the field of medical cannabis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Cannabis associated “high” cardiovascular morbidity and mortality: marijuana smoke like tobacco smoke? A Déjà Vu/Déjà Vécu Story?.Mini Rev Med Chem. 2018 Nov 13; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.2174/1389557518666181114113947
- European Pain Federation (EFIC) position paper on appropriate use of cannabis-based medicines and medical cannabis for chronic pain management.Eur J Pain. 2018; 22: 1547-1564
- The case for medical cannabis-an essay by M P Barnes.BMJ. 2018; 362k3230
- Cardiovascular effects of marijuana.Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2018 Nov 10; ([pii: S1050-1738(18)30141-5]. [Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tcm.2018.11.004
- Cannabis use predicts risks of heart failure and cerebrovascular accidents: results from the National Inpatient Sample.J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2018; 19: 480-484
- Burden of arrhythmia in recreational marijuana users.Int J Cardiol. 2018; 264: 91-92
- Marijuana use and risk of lung cancer: a 40-year cohort study.Cancer Causes Control. 2013; 24: 1811-1820
- Recreational cannabis - minimizing the health risks from legalization.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 705-707
- Examining the relationship between medical cannabis laws and cardiovascular deaths in the US.Int J Drug Policy. 2018; 53: 1-7
- Trends and related factors of cannabis-associated emergency department visits in the United States: 2006–2014.J Addict Med. 2018 Nov 9; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1097/ADM.0000000000000479
- Brief commentary: marijuana and cardiovascular disease-what should we tell patients?.Ann Intern Med. 2019 Jan 8; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.7326/M18-3009