- •Hospital-dependence in older patients is associated with severe multimorbidity.
- •Hospital-dependence may arise also in subjects with a good functional status.
- •Frailty and cancer, but not multimorbidity, predict adverse outcomes in these patients.
- •The severity of multimorbidity is associated with length of stay and early readmissions.
- •Hospital-dependence implies a rapid decline of functional performance.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Research on multiple chronic conditions. Where we are and where we need to go.Med Care. 2014; 52: S3-S6
- An international perspective on chronic multimorbidity: approaching the elephant in the room.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2018; 73: 1350-1356
- Post-hospital syndrome – An acquired, transient condition of generalized risk.N Engl J Med. 2013; 386: 100-102
- Systematic review of emergency department crowding: causes, effects, and solutions.Ann Emerg Med. 2008; 52: 126-136
- Overcrowding in emergency department: an international issue.Intern Emerg Med. 2015; 10: 171-175
- The hospital-dependent patient.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 694-697
- The ethics of caring for hospital-dependent patients.BMC Med Ethics. 2017; 18: 75
- Perceptions of hospital-dependent patients on their needs for hospitalization.J Hosp Med. 2017; 12: 450-453
- Older persons' perceptions of home and hospital as sites of treatment for acute illness.Am J Med. 1999; 107: 317-323
- Readmissions, observation, and the Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 1543-1551
- Research priorities to advance the health and health care of older adults with multiple chronic conditions.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 1549-1553
- Risk prediction models for hospital readmission: a systematic review.JAMA. 2011; 306: 1688-1698
- Risk factors for acute care hospital readmission in older persons in Western countries: a systematic review.JBI Database Syst Rev Implement Rep. 2017; 15: 454-485
- Distinguishing case series from cohort studies.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 156: 37-40
- Unplanned readmissions within 30 days after discharge: improving quality through easy prediction.International J Qual Health Care. 2017; 29: 256-261
- A manual of guidelines to score the modified cumulative illness rating scale and its validation in acute hospitalized elderly patients.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56: 1926-1931
- A global clinical measure of fitness and frailty in elderly people.CMAJ. 2005; 173: 489-495
- A proposal for retrospective identification and categorization of older people with functional impairments in scientific studies-Recommendations of the Medication and Quality of Life in Frail Older Persons (MedQoL) Research Group.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019; 20 (ahead of print Jan 9. pii: S1525-8610(18)30640-6): 138-146
- Standards for reporting qualitative research: a synthesis of recommendations.Acad Med. 2014; 89: 1245-1250
- Predictive model of readmission to internal medicine wards.Eur J Intern Med. 2012; 23: 451-456
- Identifying risk of readmission in hospitalized elderly adults through inpatient medication exposure.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014; 62: 1116-1121
- Identifying potentially avoidable readmissions: a medication-based 15-day readmission risk stratification algorithm.Pharmacotherapy. 2017; 37: 268-277
- Dementia and hospital readmission rates: a systematic review.Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord Extra. 2017; 7: 346-353
- Preventability of early vs late readmissions in an academic medical center.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0178718
- Multiple hospitalizations at the department of internal medicine of a tertiary hospital.Rev Clin Esp. 2015; 215: 9-17
- Frailty predicts short-term survival even in older adults without multimorbidity.Eur J Intern Med. 2018; 56: 53-56
- Frailty and multimorbidity: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2018; (ahead of print May 3) PubMed ID 29726918
- Accounting for frailty when treating chronic diseases.Eur J Intern Med. 2018; 56: 49-52
- The severity of acute illness and functional trajectories in hospitalized older medical patients.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017; 72: 102-108
- Rapidly developing multimorbidity and disability in older adults: does social background matter?.J Intern Med. 2018; 283: 489-499
- The influence of multimorbidity on clinical progression of dementia in a population-based cohort.PLoS One. 2013; 8e84014
- Association between accelerated multimorbidity and age-related cognitive decline in older Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging participants without dementia.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016; 64: 965-972
- Association of polypharmacy with 1-year trajectories of cognitive and physical function in nursing home residents: results from a multicenter European study.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018; 19: 710-713
- Trajectories of functional decline in older adults with neuropsychiatric and cardiovascular multimorbidity: a Swedish study.PLoS Med. 2018; 15e1002503
- An investigation of multimorbidity measures as risk factors for pneumonia in elderly frail patients admitted to hospital.Eur J Intern Med. 2016; 28: 102-106
- Multimorbidity in elderly hospitalised patients and risk of Clostridium difficile infection: a retrospective study with the Cumulative Illness Rating Scale (CIRS).BMJ Open. 2015; 5e009316
- Preparedness for hospital discharge and prediction of readmission.J Hosp Med. 2016; 11: 603-609
- Interventions to reduce hospital readmissions in the elderly: in-hospital or home care. A systematic review.J Eval Clin Pract. 2011; 17: 1167-1175
- Effect of a postdischarge virtual ward on readmission or death for high-risk patients. A randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2014; 312: 1305-1312
- A novel organizational model to face the challenge of multimorbid elderly patients in an internal medicine setting: a case study from Parma hospital, Italy.Intern Emerg Med. 2016; 11: 667-676