- •The Fat-to-Muscle ratio mirrors the imbalance between total body fat and lean mass.
- •The Fat-to-Muscle index correlates with all glucose metabolic disorders.
- •The Fat-to-Muscle ratio is associated to diabetes and all categories of prediabetes.
Abbreviations:FyM (Fat-to-Lean Mass), GMD (metabolic disorders), NGT (Normal Glucose Tolerance), IFG (impaired fasting glucose), IGT (impaired glucose tolerance), OR (odds ratio), FPG (fasting plasma glucose), BMI (body mass index), WC (waist circumference), 95% CI (Confidence Interval)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Fat and protein redistribution with aging: metabolic considerations.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2000; 54: S48-S53
- Effect of sex and age on bone mass, body composition and fuel metabolism in humans.Nutrition. 1997; 13: 524-534
- Total energy expenditure in the elderly.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2000; 54: S92-S103
- Skeletal muscle density: effects of obesity and non-insulindependent diabetes mellitus.AJCN. 1991; 54: 509-515
- Sarcopenic obesity: the confluence of two epidemics.Obes Res. 2004; 12: 887-888
- Weight change and duration of overweight and obesity in the incidence of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 1266-1272
- Body adiposity and type 2 diabetes: increased risk with a high body fat percentage even having a normal BMI.Obesity. 2011; 19: 1439-1444
- Trajectory of body mass index before the development of type 2 diabetes in Japanese men: Toranomon Hospital Health Management Center Study 15.J Diabetes Investig. 2015; 6: 289-294
- Body weight patterns from 20 to 49 years of age and subsequent risk for diabetes mellitus: the Johns Hopkins Precursors Study.Arch Intern Med. 1999; 159: 957-963
- Does waist circumference predict diabetes and cardiovascular disease beyond commonly evaluated cardiometabolic risk factors?.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 3105-3109
- Use of waist circumference to predict insulin resistance: retrospective study.BMJ. 2005; 330: 1363-1364
- Report of the Expert Committee on the diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: S5-S19
- Bioelectrical impedance analysis for diagnosing sarcopenia and cachexia: what are we really estimating?.J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle. 2017; 8: 187-189
- Inflammation as a link between obesity, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014; 105: 141-150
- Intramyocellular lipid kinetics and insulin resistance.Lipids Health Dis. 2007; 6: 18
- Sarcopenia exacerbates obesity-associated insulin resistance and dysglycemia: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III.PloS One. 2010; 5e10805
- Skeletal muscle insulin resistance is the primary defect in type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: S157-S163
- Relative muscle mass is inversely associated with insulin resistance and prediabetes. Findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: 2898-2903