- •Compassionate use is use of unauthorized drugs outside of clinical trials.
- •Many countries have introduced legal regulations concerning compassionate use.
- •Compassionate use is associated with a number of ethical challenges.
- •Ethical review of compassionate use is quite controversial.
- •Some ethics codes contain guidelines regarding compassionate use.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Should patients in need be given access to experimental drugs?.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2015; 16: 1275-1279
- https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ExpandedAccessCompassionateUse/default.htmDate accessed: February 28, 2019
- Guideline on compassionate use of medicinal products, pursuant to article 83 of regulation (EC) no 726/2004.(Available at)http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Regulatory_and_procedural_guideline/2009/10/WC500004075.pdfDate: 2007Date accessed: February 28, 2019
- Ethics review in compassionate use.BMC Med. 2017; 15136https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-017-0910-9
- Practical, legal, and ethical issues in expanded access to investigational drugs.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 279-286
- Fair, just and compassionate: a pilot for making allocation decisions for patients requesting experimental drugs outside of clinical trials.J Med Ethics. 2018; 44: 761-767
- Global named patient use program of afatinib in advanced non-small-cell lung carcinoma patients who progressed following prior therapies.Future Oncol. 2018; 14: 1477-1486
- Safety profile of asparaginase Erwinia chrysanthemi in a large compassionate-use trial.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2014; 61: 1232-1238
- Expanded access of investigational drugs: the experience of the center of drug evaluation and research over a 10-year period.Ther Innov Regul Sci. 2016; 50: 705-709
- Regulation (EC) no 726/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 31 March 2004 laying down community procedures for the authorisation and supervision of medicinal products for human and veterinary use and establishing a European Medicines Agency.https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32004R0726Date: 2004Date accessed: February 28, 2019
- An overview of compassionate use programs in the European Union member states.Intractable Rare Dis Res. 2016; 5: 244-254
- Directive 2004/27/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 31 March 2004 amending Directive 2001/83/EC on the Community code relating to medicinal products for human use.https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32004L0027Date: 2004Date accessed: March 12, 2019
- Expanded access to investigational drugs for treatment use.https://gov.ecfr.io/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=c7f297d02ba280e799a012f70d549fae&mc=true&node=pt21.5.312&rgn=div5#sp21.5.312.iDate: 2009Date accessed: March 12, 2019
- Electronic code of Federal Regulations. Treatment use of an investigational device.https://gov.ecfr.io/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=3fa5a60ded95cecaeea3523042dbb96e&mc=true&n=pt21.8.812&r=PART&ty=HTML#se21.8.812_136Date: 1997Date accessed: March 14, 2019
- Promoting patient interests in implementing the Federal Right to try act.JAMA. 2018; 320: 869-870
- RxLegal: a rapid review of right-to-try.Hosp Pharm. 2018 Jul; 53: 234-235
- Federal Right-to-try Legislation – threatening the FDA's public health Mission.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 695-697
Health Canada. Guidance document for industry and practitioners – special access programme for drugs. 2013. Available at: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/special-access/drugs/guidance-industry-practitioners-special-access-programme-drugs-health-canada-2008.html Accessed 2018-16-07.
Therapeutic Goods Administration. Authorised prescribers. 2017. Available at: https://www.tga.gov.au/form/authorised-prescribers Accessed 2018-16-07.
Therapeutic Goods Administration. Special access scheme. 2018. Available at: https://www.tga.gov.au/form/special-access-scheme Accessed 2018-16-07.
- Innovation in the pharmaceutical industry: new estimates of R&D costs.J Health Econ. 2016; 47: 20-33
- Failure of investigational drugs in late-stage clinical development and publication of trial results.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1826-1833
- An analysis of common ethical justifications for compassionate use programs for experimental drugs.BMC Med Ethics. 2016; 17: 60
- Compassionate use programs in Italy: ethical guidelines.BMC Med Ethics. 2018; 19: 22https://doi.org/10.1186/s12910-018-0263-8
- Compassionate use: a modest proposal.Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2016; 35: e2-e4https://doi.org/10.14694/EDBK_156130
- Availability of investigational medicines through the US Food and Drug Administration's expanded access and compassionate use programs.JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1e180283https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.0283
- Ethical justifications for access to unapproved medical interventions: an argument for (limited) patient obligations.Am J Bioeth. 2014; 14: 3-15
- The ethics of clinical trials.Ecancermedicalscience. 2014; 8: 387
- Expanded access programmes: patient interests versus clinical trial integrity.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 15-17https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(14)71161-1
- Improving expanded access in the United States: the role of the institutional review board.Ther Innov Regul Sci. 2018; 52: 285-293
- Hospital/clinical ethics committees' notion: an overview.J Med Ethics Hist Med. 2016; 9: 17
- Compassionate and innovative treatments in children: a proposal for an ethical framework.Arch Dis Child. 2009; 94: 651-654
- Ethics codes and use of new and innovative drugs.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2019; 85: 501-507
- Declaration of Helsinki.https://www.wma.net/policies-post/wma-declaration-of-helsinki-ethical-principles-for-medical-research-involving-human-subjects/Date: 2013Date accessed: February 28, 2019
- The need to revise the Helsinki declaration.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1190-1191