- •No impact of pre-implant clinical characteristics on PM complications' rates in extreme elderly.
- •Elderly comorbidities are predictors of mortality in octogenarians after PM implantation.
- •ACP Score helps to predict short-term mortality risk after PM implantation in extreme elderly.
Methods and results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Trends in permanent pacemaker implantation in the United States from 1993 to 2009: increasing complexity of patients and procedures.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 60: 1540-1545
- United States life tables, 2006.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2010; 58: 1-40
- The 11th world survey of cardiac pacing and implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: calendar year 2009—a World Society of Arrhythmia's project.Pacing Clin. Electrophysiol.: PACE. 2011; 34: 1013-1027
- Survey of cardiac pacing and defibrillation in the United States in 1993.Am J Cardiol. 1996; 78: 187-196
- Are elderly patients at increased risk of complications following pacemaker implantation? A meta-analysis of randomized trials.Pacing Clin. Electrophysiol.: PACE. 2012; 35: 131-134
- Long-term survival after pacemaker implantation. Prognostic importance of gender and baseline patient characteristics.Eur Heart J. 2004; 25: 88-95
- Safety of pacemaker implantation in nonagenarians: an analysis of the healthcare cost and utilization project-nationwide inpatient sample.Circulation. 2013; 127 ([1465e1-2]): 1453-1465
- Pacemaker implantation complication rates in elderly and young patients.Clin Interv Aging. 2013; 8: 1051-1054
- Long-term survival after permanent pacemaker implantation: analysis of predictors for increased mortality.Europace. 2002; 4: 113-119
- Pacemaker therapy in very elderly patients: long-term survival and prognostic parameters.Am Heart J. 2003; 146: 908-913
- Pacemaker implantation in the extreme elderly.J Interv Card Electrophysiol: Int J Arrhythmias Pacing. 2012; 33: 51-58
- Prognosis of the bradycardia pacemaker recipient assessed at first implantation: a nationwide cohort study.Heart. 2013; 99: 1573-1578
- 2013 ESC guidelines on cardiac pacing and cardiac resynchronization therapy: the task force on cardiac pacing and resynchronization therapy of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Developed in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA).Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 2281-2329
- Complications after cardiac implantable electronic device implantations: an analysis of a complete, nationwide cohort in Denmark.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 1186-1194
- Complications of dual chamber pacemaker implantation in the elderly. Pacemaker selection in the elderly (PASE) investigators.J Interv Card Electrophysiol: Int J Arrhythmias Pacing. 1998; 2: 175-179
- Early complications after dual chamber versus single chamber pacemaker implantation.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol: PACE. 1994; 17: 2012-2015
- Pacemaker or defibrillator surgery without interruption of anticoagulation.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 2084-2093
- Perioperative bridging anticoagulation in patients with atrial fibrillation.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 823-833
- Frequency of "pocket" hematoma in patients receiving vitamin K antagonist and antiplatelet therapy at the time of pacemaker or cardioverter defibrillator implantation (from the POCKET study).Am J Cardiol. 2017; 119: 1036-1040
- Death in patients with permanent pacemakers for sick sinus syndrome.Am Heart J. 2003; 146: 887-893