- •HAE may lead to substantial use of call center mainly driven by abdominal attacks.
- •Call center can dispatch EMS when edema attacks can be potentially life threatening.
- •The management of HAE attacks is shortened by the call center.
- •Use of ED and hospitalizations are reduced by the use of a national call center in HAE.
Abbreviations:C1-INH (C1-Inhibitor), ED (Emergency department), FXII-HAE (Factor XII-hereditary angiœdema), HAE (Hereditary angiœdema), IQR (Interquartile range), SD (Standard deviation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Hereditary angio-oedema.Lancet. 2012; 379 (474–81)
- Classification, diagnosis, and approach to treatment for angioedema: consensus report from the hereditary angioedema international working group.Allergy. 2014; 69 (602–16)
- A focused parameter update: hereditary angioedema, acquired C1 inhibitor deficiency, and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor-associated angioedema.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013; 131 (1491–3)
- Clinical studies of sudden upper airway obstruction in patients with hereditary angioedema due to C1 esterase inhibitor deficiency.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163 ([1229–35])
- Fatal laryngeal attacks and mortality in hereditary angioedema due to C1-INH deficiency.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012; 130 (Internet. Available from): 692-697
- One hypovolaemic shock. Two kinin pathway abnormalities.Intensive Care Med. 2011; 37 ([1227–8])
- The international WAO/EAACI guideline for the management of hereditary angioedema - the 2017 revision and update.Allergy. 2018; 73: 1575-1596
- The early treatment of bradykinin angioedema, a challenge for emergency medicine.Eur J Emerg Med Off J Eur Soc Emerg Med. 2013; 20 ([291–2])
- Emergency department management of hereditary angioedema attacks: patient perspectives.J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2017; 5: 128-134.e4
- Current state of hereditary angioedema management: a patient survey.Allergy Asthma Proc. 2015; 36 ([213–7])
- A consensus parameter for the evaluation and management of angioedema in the emergency department.Acad Emerg Med Off J Soc Acad Emerg Med. 2014; 21 ([469–84])
- Evidence-based recommendations for the therapeutic management of angioedema owing to hereditary C1 inhibitor deficiency: consensus report of an international working group.Allergy. 2012; 67 ([147–57])
- Difficulties encountered in the emergency department by patients with hereditary angioedema experiencing acute attacks.Allergy Asthma Proc. 2016; 37 ([72–5])
- Hereditary angioedema with C1 inhibitor deficiency: clinical presentation and quality of life of 193 French patients.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol Off Publ Am Coll Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2013; 111 ([290–4])
- A randomized trial of a telephone care-management strategy.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363 ([1245–55])
- Dedicated call center (SOS-HAE) for hereditary angiœdema attacks: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2016; 17: 225
- Socioeconomic burden of hereditary angioedema: results from the hereditary angioedema burden of illness study in Europe.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2014; 9: 99
- Economic costs associated with acute attacks and long-term management of hereditary angioedema.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2010; 104 ([e2]): 314-320
- C1 esterase inhibitor concentrate in 1085 hereditary angioedema attacks—final results of the I.M.P.A.C.T.2 study.Allergy. 2011; 66 (1604–11)
- HAE international home therapy consensus document.Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2010; 6: 22
- Bradykinin-mediated angioedema: factors associated with admission to an intensive care unit, a multicenter study.Eur J Emerg Med Off J Eur Soc Emerg Med. 2015; 23: 219-223
- Factors associated with hospital admission in hereditary angioedema attacks: a multicenter prospective study.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol Off Publ Am Coll Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2015; 114: 499-503
- Symptoms, course, and complications of abdominal attacks in hereditary angioedema due to C1 inhibitor deficiency.Am J Gastroenterol. 2006; 101 ([619–27])