- •Lung ultrasound is a transportable, low cost, bedside diagnostic tool.
- •Lung ultrasound has potential but unstudied role in pulmonary tuberculosis diagnosis.
- •Apical consolidations and subpleural nodules are correlated with tuberculosis diagnosis.
- •Apical consolidations and subpleural nodules show good diagnostic accuracy for tuberculosis.
Abbreviations:TB (Tuberculosis), PTB (Pulmonary tuberculosis), WHO (World Health Organization), CXR (Chest X-Ray), LUS (Lung ultrasonography), CT (Computed tomography), TST (Tuberculin Skin Test), HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus), US (Ultrasound), LR+ (Likelihood ratio), LR- (Negative likelihood ratio), PPV (Positive predictive value), NPV (Negative predictive value), CI (Confidence intervals), OR (Odds ratios), ROC (Receiver-operating characteristic)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Global tuberculosis report.2018
- Time delays in diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis: a systematic review of literature.2009https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2334-9-91
- Diagnostics for pulmonary tuberculosis.Postgrad Med J. 2016; 92: 187-193https://doi.org/10.1136/postgradmedj-2015-133278
- Systematic screening for active tuberculosis : Principles and recommendations.World Health Organization, 2013
- Clinical review: bedside lung ultrasound in critical care practice.Crit Care. 2007; 11: 205https://doi.org/10.1186/cc5668
- Training in diagnostic ultrasound: essentials, principles and standards.in: Report of a WHO Study Group. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser. 1998 (875:i-46; back cover)
- Occult traumatic pneumothorax: diagnostic accuracy of lung ultrasonography in the emergency department.Chest. 2008; 133: 204-211https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.07-1595
- Ultrasound in the assessment of pulmonary fibrosis in connective tissue disorders: correlation with high-resolution computed tomography.J Rheumatol. 2012; 39: 1641-1647https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.120104
- International evidence-based recommendations for point-of-care lung ultrasound.Intensive Care Med. 2012; 38: 577-591https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-012-2513-4
- Lung ultrasound in the diagnosis and follow-up of community-acquired pneumonia: a prospective, multicenter, diagnostic accuracy study.Chest. 2012; 142: 965-972https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.12-0364
- Potential diagnostic properties of chest ultrasound in thoracic tuberculosis-a systematic review.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018; 15https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15102235
- Review article: use of ultrasound in the developing world.Int J Emerg Med. 2011; 472https://doi.org/10.1186/1865-1380-4-72
- Chest ultrasonography in patients with HIV: a case series and review of the literature.Infection. 2016; 44: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1007/s15010-015-0780-z
- Chest ultrasound findings in pulmonary tuberculosis.Trop Dr. 2017; 47: 320-328https://doi.org/10.1177/0049475517709633
- Controlling tuberculosis in the United States. Recommendations from the American Thoracic Society, CDC, and the Infectious Diseases Society of America.MMWR Recomm Reports Morb Mortal Wkly Report Recomm Reports. 2005; 54: 1-81
- Radiographic Manifestations of Tuberculosis: A Primer for Clinicians.San Francisco, Francis J. Curry National Tuberculosis Center2019 (2nd Edition)
- WHO WHO | definitions and reporting framework for tuberculosis. 2015
- Application of ultrasonography in the diagnosis of infectious diseases in resource-limited settings.Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2016; 186https://doi.org/10.1007/s11908-015-0512-7
- Ultrasound for patients in a high HIV/tuberculosis prevalence setting: a needs assessment and review of focused applications for Sub-Saharan Africa.Int J Infect Dis. 2017; 56: 229-236https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2016.11.001
AIDE-MEMOIRE for Diagnostic Imaging Services 1999.
- WHO's new end TB strategy.Lancet. 2015; 385: 1799-1801https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(15)60570-0
- Miliary tuberculosis: sonographic pattern in chest ultrasound.Infection. 2016; 44: 243-246https://doi.org/10.1007/s15010-015-0865-8
- Chest ultrasound findings in children with suspected pulmonary tuberculosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.24230
- Ultrasound-guided aspiration biopsy of small peripheral pulmonary nodules.Chest. 1992; 101: 926-930https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.101.4.926