- •Hyperthyroidism could be a risk factor for VTE but data is quite limited.
- •This meta-analysis gathered all available data from 5 retrospective cohort studies.
- •A significantly increased risk of VTE among patients with hyperthyroidism is found.
- •The pooled risk ratio was 1.332 (95% CI, 1.275–1.391; I2 14%).
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Global epidemiology of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2018; 14: 301-316
- The epidemiology of thyroid disease.Br Med Bull. 2011; 99: 39-51
- Graves' disease in clinical perspective.Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2019; 24: 35-47
- The effect of hyperthyroidism on procoagulant, anticoagulant and fibrinolytic factors.Thromb Haemost. 2012; 108: 1077-1088
- The Newcastle-Ottawa scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of nonrandomised studies in meta-analyses.(Available from:)
- Meta-analysis in clinical trials.Control Clin Trials. 1986; 7: 177-188
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses.BMJ. 2003; 327: 557-560
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.BMJ. 1997; 315: 629-634
- Trim and fill: a simple funnel-plot-based method of testing and adjusting for publication bias in meta-analysis.Biometrics. 2000; 56: 455-463
- Increased risk of pulmonary embolism among patients with hyperthyroidism: a 5-year follow-up study.J Thromb Haemost. 2010; 8: 2176-2181
- Risk of venous thromboembolism in people admitted to hospital with selected immune-mediated diseases: record-linkage study.BMC Med. 2011; 9
- Risk of pulmonary embolism in patients with autoimmune disorders: a nationwide follow-up study from Sweden.Lancet. 2012; 379: 244-249
- Thyroid function, as assessed by TSH, and future risk of venous thromboembolism: the Tromso study.Eur J Endocrinol. 2015; 173: 83-90
- Acute cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality in patients with hyperthyroidism: a population-based cohort study.Eur J Endocrinol. 2017; 176: 1-9
- Blood coagulation and fibrinolysis in patients with hyperthyroidism.J Endocrinol Invest. 2002; 25: 345-350
- Factor VIII activity and thyroid function.Ann Intern Med. 1982; 97: 713-716
- Hyperthyroidism is associated with shortened APTT and increased fibrinogen values in a general population of unselected out patients.J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2009; 28: 362-365
- The influence of insulin, beta-estradiol, dexamethasone and thyroid hormone on the secretion of coagulant and anticoagulant proteins by HepG2 cells.Thromb Haemost. 1995; 74: 686-692
- Thyroid hormone receptor-dependent transcriptional regulation of fibrinogen and coagulation proteins.Endocrinology. 2004; 145: 2804-2814
- Autoimmune thyroid disease and antiphospholipid antibodies.Am J Hematol. 2000; 64: 73-75
- Anti-cardiolipin antibodies in autoimmune thyroid diseases.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1994; 40: 329-333
- Anticardiolipin antibodies in Grave's diseases: relationship with thrombin activity in vivo.Thromb Res. 1991; 64: 745-749