- •Early handoff was independently associated with an increased length of stay.
- •Major complications were more frequent after early handoff.
- •Early handoff had no impact on use of resources.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- A model for building a standardized hand-off protocol.Joint Comm J Qual Pat Saf. 2006; 32: 646-655
- Association between end-of-rotation resident transition in care and mortality among hospitalized patients.JAMA. 2016; 316: 2204-2213
- Does housestaff discontinuity of care increase the risk for preventable adverse events?.Ann Intern Med. 1994; 121: 866-872
- Post-call transfer of resident responsibility: its effect on patient care.J Gen Intern Med. 1990; 5: 501-505
- Impact of a new electronic handover system in surgery.Int J Surg. 2011; 9: 217-220
- Managing discontinuity in academic medical centers: strategies for a safe and effective resident sign-out.J Hosp Med. 2006; 1: 257-266
- Handoffs causing patient harm: a survey of medical and surgical house staff.Joint Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2008; 34: 563-570
- Consequences of inadequate sign-out for patient care.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 1755-1760
- Rates of medical errors and preventable adverse events among hospitalized children following implementation of a resident handoff bundle.JAMA. 2013; 310: 2262-2270
- Emergency physician intershift handover - can a dINAMO checklist speed it up and improve quality?.Swiss Med Wkly. 2010; 140w13085
- The value of adding a verbal report to written handoffs on early readmission following prolonged respiratory failure.Chest. 2010; 138: 1475-1479
- A systematic review of failures in handoff communication during intrahospital transfers.Joint Comm J Qual Pat Saf. 2011; 37: 274-284
- Clinical handover incident reporting in one UK general hospital.Int J Qual Health Care. 2010; 22: 396-401
- New ICD-10 version of the Multipurpose Australian Comorbidity Scoring System outperformed Charlson and Elixhauser comorbidities in an older population.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016 Nov; 79 (PMID 27101889): 62-69
- The effects of scheduled intern rotation on the cost and quality of teaching hospital care.Eval Health Prof. 1994; 17: 259-272
- Quality of care delivered by general internists in US hospitals who graduated from foreign versus US medical schools: observational study.Bmj. 2017; 356: j273
- Mortality among patients in VA hospitals in the first 2 years following ACGME resident duty hour reform.JAMA. 2007; 298: 984-992
- Dropping the baton: a qualitative analysis of failures during the transition from emergency department to inpatient care.Ann Emerg Med. 2009; 53: 701-10 e4
- Changes in medical errors after implementation of a handoff program.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 1803-1812
- Effect of resident handoffs on length of hospital and intensive care unit stay in a neurosurgical population: a cohort study.J Neurosurg. 2015; : 1-7
- Weekend mortality for emergency admissions. A large, multicentre study.Qual Saf Health Care. 2010; 19: 213-217
- Association of weekend effect with early mortality in severe sepsis patients over time.J Inf. 2017; 74: 345-351
- Impact of an educational intervention on the frequency of daily blood test orders for hospitalized patients.Am J Clin Pathol. 2015; 143: 393-397
- Effect of a change in house staff work schedule on resource utilization and patient care.Arch Intern Med. 1991; 151: 2065-2070
- Patient and hospitalization characteristics associated with increased postacute care facility discharges from US hospitals.Med Care. 2015; 53: 492-500
- Factors associated with discharge destination from acute care after acquired brain injury in Ontario, Canada.BMC Neurol. 2012; 12: 16
- A predictive score to identify hospitalized patients' risk of discharge to a post-acute care facility.BMC Health Serv Res. 2008; 8: 154