- •40% of low-dose MTX-induced cytopenia occur in patients only exposed to MTX.
- •A toxic mechanism is much more frequently involved than an idiosyncratic reaction.
- •A triggering factor is found in almost two thirds of cases.
- •Low-dose MTX-induced cytopenia are also frequently due to MTX medication errors.
- •Older patients receiving MTX orally are at higher risk of MTX medication errors.
Material and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Landmark papers on the discovery of methotrexate for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and other systemic inflammatory rheumatic diseases: a fascinating story.Int J Rheum Dis. 2016; 19: 844-851
- The treatment of inflammatory arthritis with methotrexate in clinical practice: treatment duration and incidence of adverse drug reactions.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2005; 44: 61-66
- Long-term safety of methotrexate monotherapy in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic literature research.Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 1100-1104
- Relative risk of and determinants for adverse events of methotrexate prescribed at a low dose: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials.Br J Dermatol. 2017; 177: 978-986
- Pancytopenia secondary to methotrexate therapy in rheumatoid arthritis: comment on the article by Gutierrez-Ureña et al.Arthritis Rheum. 1997; 40 ([author reply 195-196]): 194-195
- Methotrexate-induced pancytopenia: a case series of 46 patients.Int J Rheum Dis. 2017; 20: 846-851
- Fatal cytopenia induced by low-dose methotrexate in elderly with rheumatoid arthritis. identification of risk factors.Am J Ther. 2017; 24: e106-e107
- Safety and efficacy of methotrexate in psoriasis: a meta-analysis of published trials.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0153740
- Factors associated with myelosuppression related to low-dose methotrexate therapy for inflammatory rheumatic diseases.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0154744
- Pancytopenia secondary to methotrexate therapy in rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 1996; 39: 272-276
- Treatment of psoriatic arthritis with traditional DMARD's and novel therapies: approaches and recommendations.Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2017; 13: 319-331
- British association of dermatologists' guidelines for the safe and effective prescribing of methotrexate for skin disease 2016.Br J Dermatol. 2016; 175: 23-44
- Methotrexate use and monitoring in patients with psoriasis: a consensus report based on a danish expert meeting.Acta Derm Venereol. 2017; 97: 426-432
- European S3-guidelines on the systemic treatment of psoriasis vulgaris—update 2015—short version—EDF in cooperation with EADV and IPC.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol JEADV. 2015; 29: 2277-2294
- Pharmacovigilance for evaluating adverse drug reactions: value, organization, and methods.Jt Bone Spine Rev Rhum. 2006; 73: 629-632
- A decade of Australian methotrexate dosing errors.Med J Aust. 2016; 204: 384
- Reported medication errors associated with methotrexate.Am J Health-Syst Pharm AJHP Off J Am Soc Health-Syst Pharm. 2004; 61: 1380-1384
- What can clinicians learn from therapeutic studies about the treatment of acute oral methotrexate poisoning?.Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2017; 55: 88-96
- Methotrexate and rheumatoid arthritis: current evidence regarding subcutaneous versus oral routes of administration.Adv Ther. 2016 Mar; 33: 369-378
- Pharmacokinetic drug-drug interactions with methotrexate in oncology.Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2011; 4: 743-750
- Thésaurus des interactions médicamenteuses.ANSM, 2018
- Methotrexate drug interactions in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review.J Rheumatol. 2010; 37: 1416-1421
- Interaction between low-dose methotrexate and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, penicillins, and proton pump inhibitors.Ann Pharmacother. 2017; 51: 163-178
- Adverse reactions to disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs in clinical practice.QJM Mon J Assoc Phys. 2001; 94: 309-319
- Associations between the C677T and A1298C polymorphisms of MTHFR and the toxicity of methotrexate in childhood malignancies: a meta-analysis.Pharmacogenomics J. 2018; 18: 450-459
- Lack of association between MTHFR A1298C polymorphism and outcome of methotrexate treatment in rheumatoid arthritis patients: evidence from a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Rheum Dis. 2017; 20: 526-540
- Are gene polymorphisms related to treatment outcomes of methotrexate in patients with rheumatoid arthritis? a systematic review and meta-analysis.Pharmacogenomics. 2017; 18: 175-195
- Associations between the C677T and A1298C polymorphisms of MTHFR and the efficacy and toxicity of methotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis: a meta-analysis.Clin Drug Investig. 2010; 30: 101-108