- •Assess effect of a physical activity measuring system with feedback during hospitalisation
- •Across all patients the visual feedback provided no reduction in time spent out of bed.
- •Feedback group spent 81 minutes and control spent 64 minutes per day out of bed.
- •Group difference was 18 minutes per day potentially in favour of the visual feedback.
- •In a subgroup with independent mobility, feedback resulted in 51 minutes more out of bed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- The underrecognized epidemic of low mobility during hospitalization of older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009; 57: 1660-1665
- Twenty-four-hour mobility during acute hospitalization in older medical patients.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013; 68: 331-337
- Effects of aging on human skeletal muscle after immobilization and retraining.J Appl Physiol (1985). 2009; 107: 1172-1180
- Mobility activity and its value as a prognostic indicator of survival in hospitalized older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61: 551-557
- Disuse atrophy and exercise rehabilitation in humans profoundly affects the expression of genes associated with the regulation of skeletal muscle mass.FASEB J. 2004; 18: 1025-1027
- The temporal responses of protein synthesis, gene expression and cell signalling in human quadriceps muscle and patellar tendon to disuse.J Physiol. 2007; 585: 241-251
- Effect of body position on pulmonary function.Phys Ther. 1985; 65: 613-618
- Body positioning and its effect on oxygenation--a literature review.Nurs Crit Care. 2006; 11: 16-22
- Effects of posture on postoperative pulmonary function.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2003; 47: 1270-1275
- Very low levels of physical activity in older patients during hospitalization at an acute geriatric Ward: a prospective cohort study.J Aging Phys Act. 2015; 23: 542-549
- Improved functional performance in geriatric patients during hospital stay.Am J Phys Med Rehabil/Assoc Acad Physiatrists. 2017; 96: e78-e84
- Prediction of postoperative morbidity, mortality and rehabilitation in hip fracture patients: the cumulated ambulation score.Clin Rehabil. 2006; 20: 701-708
- Effect of 10 days of bed rest on skeletal muscle in healthy older adults.Jama. 2007; 297: 1772-1774
- Characteristics of nondisabled older patients developing new disability associated with medical illnesses and hospitalization.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 668-674
- Resistance training induces qualitative changes in muscle morphology, muscle architecture, and muscle function in elderly postoperative patients.J Appl Physiol (Bethesda, Md: 1985). 2008; 105: 180-186
- Comparison of Posthospitalization function and community mobility in hospital mobility program and usual care patients: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 921-927
- Can early rehabilitation on the general Ward after an intensive care unit stay reduce hospital length of stay in survivors of critical illness?: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Phys Med Rehabil/Assoc Acad Physiatrists. 2017; 96: 607-615