- •Late diagnoses of HIV infection negatively affect individual and public health.
- •A quarter of our LPs had been diagnosed with ≥1 HIV IC without being tested for HIV.
- •People aged >60 years were at highest risk of missing an earlier HIV diagnosis.
- •Missed HIV testing opportunities most frequently occurred in primary care setting.
- •IC-guided HIV testing should be implemented in non-specialist settings.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Declining morbidity and mortality among patients with advanced human immunodeficiency virus infection. HIV outpatient study investigators.N Engl J Med. 1998; 338: 853-860https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199803263381301
- EuroSIDA study group. Decline in the AIDS and death rates in the EuroSIDA study: an observational study.Lancet. 2003; 362: 22-29
- HIV viral load and transmissibility of HIV infection: undetectable equals untransmittable.JAMA. 2019; 321: 451-452https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.21167
WHO consolidated guidelines on the use of antiretroviral drugs for treating and preventing HIV infection: recommendations for a public health approach - 2nd ed. 2016. Available at:https://www.who.int/hiv/pub/arv/arv-2016/en/ (accessed February 2018).
WHO, HIV/AIDS factsheet N.360, updated November 2016. Available at:http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs360/en/(accessed February 2018).
- The ECDC HIV/AIDS surveillance and Dublin declaration monitoring networks. Estimating HIV incidence and number of undiagnosed individuals living with HIV in the European Union/European Economic Area, 2015.Euro Surveill. 2016; 21: 1
- European late presenter consensus working group. Late presentation of HIV infection: a consensus definition.HIV Med. 2011; 12: 61-64
- Risk factors and outcomes for late presentation for HIV-positive persons in Europe: results from the collaboration of observational HIV epidemiological research Europe study (COHERE).PLoS Med. 2013; 10e1001510
- The late diagnosis and consequent short-term mortality of HIV-infected heterosexuals (England and Wales, 2000-2004).AIDS. 2006; 20: 2371-2379https://doi.org/10.1097/QAD.0b013e32801138f7
- Prognosis of HIV-1-infected patients starting highly active antiretroviral therapy: a collaborative analysis of prospective studies.Lancet. 2002; 360: 119-129
- The economic burden of late entry into medical care for patients with HIV infection.Med Care. 2010; 48: 1071-1079https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0b013e3181f81c4a
- Estimating sexual transmission of HIV from persons aware and unaware that they are infected with the virus in the USA.AIDS. 2006; 20: 1447-1450https://doi.org/10.1097/01.aids.0000233579.79714.8d
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)/World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe (WHO); HIV/AIDS surveillance in Europe 2018 - 2017 data. Available at:https://ecdc.europa.eu/sites/portal/files/documents/hiv-aids-surveillance-europe-2018.pdf(accessed August 2018).
- Barriers to HIV testing in Europe: a systematic review.Eur J Public Health. 2010; 20: 422-432
- British HIV association (BHIVA). HIV diagnoses and missed opportunities. results of the British HIV Association (BHIVA) National Audit 2010.Clin Med (Lond). 2012; 12: 430-434https://doi.org/10.7861/clinmedicine.12-5-430
- Missed opportunities for HIV testing in newly-HIV-diagnosed patients, a cross sectional study.BMC Infect Dis. 2013; 13: 200
- The potential impact of routine testing of individuals with HIV indicator diseases in order to prevent late HIV diagnosis.BMC Infect Dis. 2013; 13: 473
- Deficiencies in the health care system contribute to a high rate of late HIV diagnosis in Sweden.HIV Med. 2016; 17: 425-435
- The late-presenting HIV-infected patient 30 years after the introduction of HIV testing: spectrum of opportunistic diseases and missed opportunities for early diagnosis.HIV Med. 2017; 18: 125-132
- ECDC guidance.HIV testing in Europe: increasing uptake and effectiveness in the European Union, 2010 (Available at:)https://ecdc.europa.eu/sites/portal/files/media/en/publications/Publications/HIV-testing-guidance-evaluation.pdf(Accessed February 2018)
- HIV indicator conditions: guidance for implementing HIV testing in adults in health care settings.Copenhagen University, Copenhagen2012 (Available at:)(Accessed February 2018)
- Feasibility and effectiveness of indicator condition-guided testing for HIV: results from HIDES I (HIV indicator diseases across Europe study).PLoS ONE. 2013; 8: e52845
- Auditing HIV testing rates across Europe: results from the HIDES 2 study.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10e0140845
- Aggiornamento delle nuove diagnosi di infezione da HIV e dei casi di AIDS in Italia al 31 dicembre 2017.Not Ist Super Sanità. 2018; 31 (Available at:): 3-51
Conferenza di consenso sul test HIV: quesiti e risposte. Available at:http://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_notizie_1265_listaFile_itemName_6_file.pdf(Accessed August 2018).
- HIV-indicator-condition-driven HIV testing: clinically effective but still rarely implemented.Clin Med (Lond). 2016; 16: 175-179https://doi.org/10.7861/clinmedicine.16-2-175
- Missed opportunities for earlier diagnosis of HIV in patients who presented with advanced HIV disease: a retrospective cohort study.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e012721
- Impact of late diagnosis and treatment on life expectancy in people with HIV-1: UK collaborative HIV Cohort (UK CHIC) Study.BMJ. 2011; 343: d6016
- Laing RB; trends in missed presentations and late HIV diagnosis in a UK teaching hospital: a retrospective comparative cohort study.BMC Infect Dis. 2012; 12: 72
- EU/EEA HIV surveillance network. New HIV diagnoses among adults aged 50 years or older in 31 European countries, 2004-15: an analysis of surveillance data.Lancet HIV. 2017; 4: e514-e521
- A study of sexuality and health among older adults in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 762-774https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa067423
- Psychosocial predictors and HIV-related behaviors of old adults versus late middle-aged and younger adults.J Aging Health. 2015; 27: 123-139
- Risky sexual behavior in the nursing home: balancing resident autonomy and risks.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: S199
- The new invincibles: HIV screening among older adults in the U.S.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7: e43618
- The need to scale up HIV indicator condition-guided testing for early case-finding: a case-control study in primary care.BMC Fam Pract. 2016; 17: 161
- Primary health care: an opportunity for early identification of people living with undiagnosed HIV infection.HIV Med. 2019;
- From exceptionalism to normalisation: a reappraisal of attitudes and practice around HIV testing.BMJ. 1998; 316: 290
- Qualitative impact assessment of an educational workshop on primary care practitioner attitudes to nice HIV testing guidelines.BJGP Open. 2018; 2https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgpopen18X101433
- Late HIV diagnosis in Europe: a call for increased testing and awareness among general practitioners.Eur J Gen Pract. 2012; 18: 181-186