- •State of art of management and treatment of hypertension emergency/urgency in Italy.
- •Good knowledge of definition and treatment.
- •Fair quality of blood pressure measurement technique.
- •Lack of protocol or fast track for this problem.
- •Differences in terms of treatment and diagnosis across macro-areas.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- 2013 practice guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and the European Society of Cardiology (ESC): ESH/ESC task force for the management of arterial hypertension.J Hypertens. 2013; 31: 1925-1938https://doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0b013e328364ca4c
- 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA guideline for the prevention, detection, evaluation, and management of high blood pressure in adults.Hypertension. 2018; 71: e13-e115https://doi.org/10.1161/HYP.0000000000000065
- ESC Council on hypertension position document on the management of hypertensive emergencies.Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Pharmacother. 2019; 5: 37-46https://doi.org/10.1093/ehjcvp/pvy032
- 2018 ESC/ESH Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension The Task Force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Society of Hypertension (ESH).J Hypertens. 2018; 36: 1953-2041https://doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0000000000001940
- Hospital admissions for hypertensive crisis in the emergency departments: a large multicenter Italian study.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e93542https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0093542
- Hospital and out-of-hospital mortality in 670 hypertensive emergencies and urgencies.J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2017; 19: 1137-1142https://doi.org/10.1111/jch.13083
- An update on hypertensive emergencies and urgencies.J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2015; 16: 372-382https://doi.org/10.2459/JCM.0000000000000223
- Treating acute hypertension in the hospital: a Lacuna in the guidelines.Hypertension. 2011; 57: 18-20https://doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.110.164194
- Blood pressure management in stroke: five new things.Neurol Clin Pract. 2014; 4: 419-426https://doi.org/10.1212/CPJ.0000000000000085
- Hypertensive urgency-is this a useful diagnosis?.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 988-989https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.1498
- Risk factors promoting hypertensive crises: evidence from a longitudinal study.Am J Hypertens. 2010; 23: 775-780https://doi.org/10.1038/ajh.2010.71
- Antianxiety treatment in patients with excessive hypertension.Am J Hypertens. 2005; 18: 1174-1177https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjhyper.2005.03.728
- COX-2 selectivity alone does not define the cardiovascular risks associated with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.Lancet. 2008; 371: 270-273https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60137-3
- Do nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs affect blood pressure? A meta-analysis.Ann Intern Med. 1994; 121: 289-300https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-121-4-199408150-00011
- Differential blood pressure effects of ibuprofen, naproxen, and celecoxib in patients with arthritis: the PRECISION-ABPM (Prospective Randomized Evaluation of Celecoxib Integrated Safety Versus Ibuprofen or Naproxen Ambulatory Blood Pressure Measurement) Trial.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 3282-3292https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehx508
- European Society of Hypertension position paper on ambulatory blood pressure monitoring.J Hypertens. 2013; 31: 1731-1768https://doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0b013e328363e964
- The importance of accurate blood pressure measurement.Permanente J. 2009; 13: 51-54https://doi.org/10.7812/tpp/09-054
- Ocular fundus photography with a smartphone device in acute hypertension.J Hypertens. 2017; 35: 1660-1665https://doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0000000000001354
- Diagnostic performance of multi-organ ultrasound with pocket-sized device in the management of acute dyspnea.Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2017; 15: 16https://doi.org/10.1186/s12947-017-0105-8
- Characteristics and outcomes of patients presenting with hypertensive urgency in the office setting.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 981-988https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.1509
- Seventh report of the joint national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure.Hypertension. 2003; 42: 1206-1252https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.0000107251.49515.c2
- Therapeutic approach to hypertension urgencies and emergencies in the emergency room.High Blood Press Cardiovasc Prev. 2018; 25: 177-189https://doi.org/10.1007/s40292-018-0261-4
- The dangers of immediate-release nifedipine in the emergency treatment of hypertension.J Hum Hypertens. 2008; 22: 301-302https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jhh.1002324
- Physician follow-up and long-term use of evidence-based medication for patients with hypertension who were discharged from an emergency department: a prospective cohort study.CMAJ Open. 2018; 6: E151-E161https://doi.org/10.9778/cmajo.20170119
- Primary care follow up of patients discharged from the emergency department: a retrospective study.BMC Family Pract. 2004; 5: 16https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2296-5-16
- Recognizing asymptomatic elevated blood pressure in ED patients: how good (bad) are we?.Am J Emerg Med. 2007; 25: 313-317https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2006.09.007
- Hypertension in the ED: still an unrecognized problem.Am J Emerg Med. 2008; 26: 913-917https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2007.11.024
- National survey on excellence centers and reference centers for hypertension diagnosis and treatment: geographical distribution, medical facilities and diagnostic opportunities.High Blood Press Cardiovasc Prev. 2014; 21: 29-36https://doi.org/10.1007/s40292-013-0034-z
- Prognostic value of ambulatory blood-pressure recordings in patients with treated hypertension.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 2407-2415https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa022273
- Prevalence and control of hypertension in different macro-areas in Italy: analysis of a large database by the general practice.High Blood Press Cardiovasc Prev. 2016; 23: 387-393https://doi.org/10.1007/s40292-016-0173-0
- Blood pressure control in Italy: analysis of clinical data from 2005–2011 surveys on hypertension.J Hypertens. 2012; 30: 1065-1074https://doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0b013e3283535993
- Clinical management of patients with hypertension and high cardiovascular risk in specialized centers and in general practice. Analysis from an Italian Survey Questionnaire.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2015; 25: 866-874https://doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2015.05.003