Venous thromboembolism, clinically presenting as pulmonary embolism (PE) and deep vein thrombosis (DVT), is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide. The incidence of PE ranges from 39–115 per 100,000 persons with a rising incidence in patients aged ≥ 80 years [
]. Case-fatality rates of acute PE seems to be decreasing in recent years and ranges from 0.3 to 12 per 100 PE diagnosis [
- Wendelboe A.M.
- Raskob G.E.
Global burden of thrombosis: epidemiologic aspects.
Circ Res. 2016; 11813401347
- Cohen A.T.
- Agnelli G.
- Anderson F.A.
- et al.
VTE impact assessment group in Europe (VITAE). venous thromboembolism (VTE) in Europe. the number of VTE events and associated morbidity and mortality.
Thromb Haemost. 2007; 98756764
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global burden of thrombosis: epidemiologic aspects.Circ Res. 2016; 11813401347
- VTE impact assessment group in Europe (VITAE). venous thromboembolism (VTE) in Europe. the number of VTE events and associated morbidity and mortality.Thromb Haemost. 2007; 98756764
- 2019 ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism developed in collaboration with the European Respiratory Society (ERS).Eur Heart J. 2019; (Aug 31. pii: ehz405)https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehz405
- Task force for the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). 2014 ESC guidelines on the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35 (3069a-3069k): 3033-3069
- American Society of Hematology 2018 guidelines for management of venous thromboembolism: diagnosis of venous thromboembolism.Blood Adv. 2018; 2: 3226-3256
- Diagnostic characteristics of lower limb venous compression ultrasonography in suspected pulmonary embolism: a meta-analysis.J Thromb Haemost. 2016; 14: 1765-1772
- Prognostic value of right ventricular dysfunction or elevated cardiac biomarkers in patients with low-risk pulmonary embolism: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur Heart J. 2019; 40902910
- Outcomes after extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for the treatment of high-risk pulmonary embolism: a multicentre series of 52 cases.Eur Heart J. 2018; 39: 4196-4204
- Venous thromboembolism prophylaxis and treatment in patients with cancer: ASCO clinical practice guideline update.J Clin Oncol. 2019; JCO1901461https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19.01461
- Antithrombotic therapy for VTE disease: chest guideline and expert panel report.Chest. 2016; 149: 315-352
- CT-PE-Pregnancy group. diagnosis of pulmonary embolism during pregnancy: a multicenter prospective management outcome study.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 766-773
- Pregnancy-adapted years algorithm for diagnosis of suspected pulmonary embolism.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1139-1149
- American Society of Hematology 2018 guidelines for management of venous thromboembolism: venous thromboembolism in the context of pregnancy.Blood Adv. 2018; 2: 3317-3359
- Guidance for the treatment and prevention of obstetric-associated venous thromboembolism.J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2016; 41: 92-128
- Treatment options for severe pulmonary embolism during pregnancy and the postpartum period: a systematic review.J Thromb Haemost. 2017; 15: 1942-1950
Published online: November 16, 2019
Accepted: November 1, 2019
Received: October 5, 2019
© 2019 European Federation of Internal Medicine. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.