- •We assessed whether the impact of LV dysfunction depends on fluid balance in sepsis.
- •AKI was prevalent in the patients with diastolic and systolic dysfunction.
- •Diastolic and systolic dysfunction were associated with longer duration of RRT.
- •Diastolic and systolic dysfunction were associated with mortality.
- •Their associations were independent of daily fluid balance.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- The third international consensus definitions for sepsis and septic shock (Sepsis-3).JAMA. 2016; 315: 801-810
- Early goal-directed therapy in the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 1368-1377
- Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of sepsis and septic shock: 2016.Crit Care Med. 2017; 45: 486-552
- Fluid resuscitation in human sepsis: time to rewrite history?.Ann Intensive Care. 2017; 7: 4
- Fluid resuscitation in septic shock: a positive fluid balance and elevated central venous pressure are associated with increased mortality.Crit Care Med. 2011; 39: 259-265
- Fluid overload in patients with severe sepsis and septic shock treated with early goal-directed therapy is associated with increased acute need for fluid-related medical interventions and hospital death.Shock. 2015; 43: 68-73
- Fluid administration in severe sepsis and septic shock, patterns and outcomes: an analysis of a large national database.Intensive Care Med. 2017; 43: 625-632
- Higher fluid balance increases the risk of death from sepsis: results from a large international audit.Crit Care Med. 2017; 45: 386-394
- Effect of an early resuscitation protocol on in-hospital mortality among adults with sepsis and hypotension: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2017; 318: 1233-1240
- The restrictive iv fluid trial in severe sepsis and septic shock (RIFTS): a randomized pilot study.Crit Care Med. 2019; 47: 951-959
- Actual incidence of global left ventricular hypokinesia in adult septic shock.Crit Care Med. 2008; 36: 1701-1706
- Diastolic dysfunction and mortality in septic patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Intensive Care Med. 2015; 41: 1004-1013
- Tissue Doppler assessment of diastolic function and relationship with mortality in critically ill septic patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Br J Anaesth. 2017; 119: 583-594
- Prognostic impact of left ventricular diastolic function in patients with septic shock.Ann Intensive Care. 2016; 6: 36
- Left ventricular systolic function evaluated by strain echocardiography and relationship with mortality in patients with severe sepsis or septic shock: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Crit Care. 2018; 22: 183
- Outcomes of patients with systolic heart failure presenting with sepsis to the emergency department of a tertiary hospital: a retrospective chart review study from Lebanon.BMJ Open. 2018; 8e022185
- Fluid balance and cardiac function in septic shock as predictors of hospital mortality.Crit Care. 2013; 17: R246
- Application of a simplified definition of diastolic function in severe sepsis and septic shock.Crit Care. 2016; 20: 243
- A simple comorbidity scale predicts clinical outcomes and costs in dialysis patients.Am J Med. 2000; 108: 609-613
- Use of the Sofa score to assess the incidence of organ dysfunction/failure in intensive care units: results of a multicenter, prospective study. Working group on "sepsis-related problems" of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine.Crit Care Med. 1998; 26: 1793-1800
- KDIGO clinical practice guideline for acute kidney injury.Kidney Int. 2012; 2: 138
- The definition of acute kidney injury and its use in practice.Kidney Int. 2015; 87: 62-73
- The endothelial glycocalyx: a review of the vascular barrier.Anaesthesia. 2014; 69: 777-784
- Caecal ligation and puncture induced sepsis in the rat results in increased brain water content and perimicrovessel oedema.Metab Brain Dis. 2014; 29: 837-843
- Physiological changes after fluid bolus therapy in sepsis: a systematic review of contemporary data.Crit Care. 2014; 18: 696
- Fluids for prevention and management of acute kidney injury.Int J Artif Organs. 2008; 31: 96-110
- Acute renal failure in critically ill patients: a multinational, multicenter study.JAMA. 2005; 294: 813-818
- A positive fluid balance is associated with a worse outcome in patients with acute renal failure.Crit Care. 2008; 12: R74
- Fluid accumulation, survival and recovery of kidney function in critically ill patients with acute kidney injury.Kidney Int. 2009; 76: 422-427
- Positive fluid balance as a prognostic factor for mortality and acute kidney injury in severe sepsis and septic shock.J Crit Care. 2015; 30: 97-101
- Four phases of intravenous fluid therapy: a conceptual model.Br J Anaesth. 2014; 113: 740-747
- Cardio-renal syndromes: report from the consensus conference of the acute dialysis quality initiative.Eur Heart J. 2010; 31: 703-711
- The kidney in heart failure: an update.Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 1437-1444
- Comparison of risk factors for acute worsening renal function in heart failure patients with and without preserved ejection fraction.Eur J Intern Med. 2015; 26: 599-602
- Vasodilators in acute heart failure - evidence based on new studies.Eur J Intern Med. 2018; 51: 1-10
- Early preload adaptation in septic shock? A transesophageal echocardiographic study.Anesthesiology. 2001; 94: 400-406