- •Inhaled therapy is crucial for treatment of asthma and COPD.
- •The best pMDIs have extra-fine particle formulation and slow plume speed.
- •DPIs do not require coordination between actuation and inhalation.
- •SMIs allow high lung deposition of the drug independently of the inspiratory flow.
- •Nebulizers should be reserved in patients unable to use other inhalers.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Optimizing drug delivery in COPD: the role of inhaler devices.Respir Med. 2017; 124: 6-14
- Optimal particle size for beta 2 agonist and anticholinergic aerosols in patients with severe airflow obstruction.Thorax. 1996; 51: 977-980
- Regional lung deposition and bronchodilator response as a function of beta2-agonist particle size.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 172: 1497-1504
- Diagnosis and management of asthma in the elderly.Eur J Intern Med. 2014; 25: 336-342
Global Initiative for Asthma. Global strategy for asthma management and prevention, 2017[accessed 2020 Feb 5]. Available from:http://www.ginasthma.org.
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive lung disease: the gold science committee report 2019.Eur Respir J. 2019 May 18; 53
- Inhaled corticosteroids in COPD: friend or foe?.Eur Respir J. 2018 Dec 13; 52
- Asthma-COPD overlap syndrome: recent advances in diagnostic criteria and prognostic significance.Minerva Med. 2017; 108
- History of aerosol therapy: liquid nebulization to MDIs to DPIs.Respir care. 2005; 50: 1139-1150
- Inhalation therapy: an historical review.Primary care respiratory journal. 2007; 16: 71-81
Sanders M.Sales-Girons pulverisateur. http://www.inhalatorium.com/wpcproduct/sales-girons-pulverisateur/Accessed February 24, 2020.
- A history of nebulization.J Aerosol Med. 2001; 14: 65-71
- Inhaled adrenergic bronchodilators: historical development and clinical application.Resp Care. 2000; 45: 854-863
Sanders M.The Pneumostat. http://www.inhalatorium.com/wpcproduct/pneumostat/Accessed February 24, 2020.
- Treating the small airways.Respiration. 2012; 84: 441-453
- Medihaler therapy for bronchial asthma: a new type of aerosol therapy.Postgrad Med. 1956; 20: 667-673
- Dry powder aerosols I: a new powder inhalation device.J Pharm. Sci. 1971; 60: 1559e
- A review of the development of Respimat® soft Mist™ inhaler.Int J Pharm. 2004; 283: 1-9
- European respiratory society guidelines on the use of nebulizers.Eur Resp J. 2001; 18: 228-242
- Guidelines for the use of nebulizers in the home and at domiciliary sites. report of a consensus conference. National association for medical direction of respiratory care (NAMDRC) consensus group.Chest. 1996; 109: 814-820
- Particle size matters: diagnostics and treatment of small airways involvement in asthma.Eur Respir J. 2011; 37: 532-540
- Nebulizers that use a vibrating mesh or plate with multiple apertures to generate aerosol.Respir Care. 2002; 47: 1406-1416
- Deposition of aerosols delivered by nasal route with jet and mesh nebulizers.Int J Pharm. 2011; 407: 87-94
- Jet, ultrasonic, and mesh nebulizers: an evaluation of nebulizers for better clinical outcomes.Eurasian J Pulmonol. 2014; 16: 1-7
- Pulmonary drug delivery to older people.Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2018; 135: 50-61
- The history of therapeutic aerosols: a chronological review.J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv. 2017; 30: 20-41
- Encyclopedia of pharmaceutical technology.3rd Illustrated editor. Informa Health Care., 2007: 1170 (ISBN 978-0-8493-9394-5)
- Improved airway targeting with the CFC-free HFA-beclomethasone metered-dose inhaler compared with CFC-beclomethasone.Eur Respir J. 1998; 12: 1346-1353
- Spacer devices for metered dose inhalers.Clin Pharmacokinet. 2004; 43: 349-360
- Errors in inhalation technique and efficiency in inhaler use in asthmatic children.Allergy. 1986; 41: 118-124
- The CFC to HFA transition and its impact on pulmonary drug development.Respir Care. 2005; 50: 1201-1208
- Modulite technology: pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic implications.Respir Med. 2002; 96: S9-15
- Triplice terapia extra fine in paziente con BPCO riacutizzata richiedente ospedalizzazione e ventilazione meccanica.Multidiscip Respir Med. 2019; (nov)
- Peak inspiratory flow rate as a criterion for dry powder inhaler use in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Ann Amer Thorac Soc. 2017; 14: 1103-1107
- Peak inspiratory flow rate in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: implications for dry powder inhalers.J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv. 2017; 30: 1-7
- Recent advances in capsule-based dry powder inhaler technology.Multidiscip Respir Med. 2017; 12: 11
- Dry powder inhalers and the right things to remember: a concept review.Multidiscip Respir Med. 2015; 10: 13
- A review of the development of Respimat soft mist inhaler.Int J Pharm. 2004 Sep 28; 283: 1-9
- The Respimat, a new soft mist inhaler for delivering drugs to the lungs.in: Rathbone M.J. Hadgraft J. Roberts M.S. Modified-release drug delivery technology. Marcel Dekker, New York2002: 925-933
- Optimizing the in vitro performance of Respimat®.J Aerosol Med. 1999; 12: S19-S24
- Comparison of the velocities of clouds delivered from Respimat® soft mist inhaler and metered dose inhalers.J Aerosol Med. 2001; 386: 1-5
- Experimental study of Spiriva Respimat soft mist inhaler spray characterization: size distributions and velocity.J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv. 2019; 32: 293-302
- Higher lung deposition with Respimat soft mist inhaler than HFA-MDI in COPD patients with poor technique.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2008; 3: 763-770
- Insulin therapy for diabetes epidemic: a patent review.Curr Drug Deliv. 2018; 15: 777-794
- Commentary: why was inhaled insulin a failure in the market?.Diabetes Spectr. 2016; 29: 180-184
- lloprost delivered via the BREELIBTM nebulizer: a review of the clinical evidence for efficacy and safety.Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2019; 131753466619835497
- Inhaled antibiotic therapy in chronic respiratory diseases.Int J Mol Sci. 2017; 18: 1062
- Inhaled antibiotics for lower airway infections.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014; 11: 425-434
- Inhaled mannitol for cystic fibrosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018 Feb 9; (2:CD008649)
- Is inhaled heparin a viable therapeutic option in inhalation injury?.Adv Respir Med. 2019; 87: 184-188
- Three-month validation of a turbuhaler electronic monitoring device: implications for asthma clinical trial use.BMJ Open Respir Res. 2015; 2e000097
- The effect of an electronic monitoring device with audiovisual reminder function on adherence to inhaled corticosteroids and school attendance in children with asthma: a randomised controlled trial.Lancet Respir Med. 2015; 3: 210-219
- Real-life inhaler adherence and technique: time to get smarter!.Respir Med. 2019; 12 (158): 24-32