- •CTO-revascularization is associated with improved long-term survival over OMT.
- •Survival benefit is independent of revascularization strategy.
- •Failed CTO-PCI showed a comparable all-cause mortality compared to OMT.
Methods and results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Contemporary incidence, management, and long-term outcomes of percutaneous coronary interventions for chronic coronary artery total occlusions: insights from the VA CART program.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017; 10: 866-875https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2017.02.044
- Epidemiology, management strategies, and outcomes of patients with chronic total coronary occlusion.Am J Cardiol. 2016; 118: 1128-1135https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2016.07.023
- Chronic total occlusions in Sweden–a report from the Swedish Coronary Angiography And Angioplasty Registry (SCAAR).PLoS ONE. 2014; 9e103850https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0103850
- Effectiveness of recanalization of chronic total occlusions: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am Heart J. 2010; 160: 179-187https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2010.04.015
- Chronic total occlusion intervention: the case for more evidence.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2018; 11: 1992-1994https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2018.06.035
- Prognostic impact of chronic total occlusions: a report from SCAAR (Swedish coronary angiography and angioplasty registry).JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016; 9: 1535-1544https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2016.04.031
- How DECISION-CTO can help guide the decision to perform chronic total occlusion percutaneous coronary intervention.Circulation. 2019; 139: 1684-1687https://doi.org/10.1161/circulationaha.119.039835
- Long-term survival benefit of revascularization compared with medical therapy in patients with coronary chronic total occlusion and well-developed collateral circulation.JACC Cardiovas Interv. 2015; 8: 271-279https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2014.10.010
- Management strategies in patients affected by chronic total occlusions: results from the Italian registry of chronic total occlusions.Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 3189-3198https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehv450
- Coronary-artery bypass surgery in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 1511-1520https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1602001
- Ten-Year outcomes after coronary artery bypass grafting according to age in patients with heart failure and left ventricular systolic dysfunction: an analysis of the extended follow-up of the stich trial (surgical treatment for ischemic heart failure).Circulation. 2016; 134: 1314-1324https://doi.org/10.1161/circulationaha.116.024800
- Myocardial viability and long-term outcomes in ischemic cardiomyopathy.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 739-748https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1807365
- 2018 ESC/EACTS guidelines on myocardial revascularization.Eur Heart J. 2019; 40: 87-165https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehy394
- A contemporary definition of periprocedural myocardial injury after percutaneous coronary intervention of chronic total occlusions.JACC Cardiovas Interv. 2019; 12: 1915-1923https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcin.2019.06.053
- Comparison of benefit of successful percutaneous coronary intervention for chronic total occlusion in patients with versus without reduced (</=40%) left ventricular ejection fraction.Am J Cardiol. 2017; 120: 1780-1786https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2017.07.088
- High N-terminal proB-type natriuretic peptide indicates elevated risk of death after percutaneous coronary intervention compared to coronary artery bypass surgery in patients with left ventricular dysfunction.J Clin Med. 2019; 8https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm8060898
- 2019 ESC/EAS guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias: lipid modification to reduce cardiovascular risk.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 111-188https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehz455
- 2018 ESC/ESH guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension. The Task Force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Society of Hypertension (ESH).G Ital Cardiol (Rome). 2018; 19 (3s–73s)https://doi.org/10.1714/3026.30245
- Impact of coronary artery chronic total occlusion on arrhythmic and mortality outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2018; 4: 1214-1223https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacep.2018.06.011
- Prognostic impact of non-culprit chronic total occlusions in infarct-related cardiogenic shock: results of the randomised IABP-SHOCK II trial.EuroIntervention. 2018; 14: e306-ee13https://doi.org/10.4244/eij-d-17-00451
- Meta-analysis of clinical outcomes of patients who underwent percutaneous coronary interventions for chronic total occlusions.Am J Cardiol. 2015; 115: 1367-1375https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2015.02.038
- A randomized multicentre trial to compare revascularization with optimal medical therapy for the treatment of chronic total coronary occlusions.Eur Heart J. 2018; 39: 2484-2493https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehy220
- Randomized trial evaluating percutaneous coronary intervention for the treatment of chronic total occlusion.Circulation. 2019; 139: 1674-1683https://doi.org/10.1161/circulationaha.118.031313
- Prognostic impact of a chronic total occlusion in a non-infarct-related artery in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: 3-year results from the HORIZONS-AMI trial.Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 768-775https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehr471
- Progressive impairment of regional myocardial perfusion after initial restoration of postischemic blood flow.Circulation. 1989; 80: 1846-1861https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.80.6.1846
- Percutaneous coronary intervention versus coronary artery bypass grafting in patients with three-vessel or left main coronary artery disease: 10-year follow-up of the multicentre randomised controlled SYNTAX trial.Lancet, London, England2019https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(19)31997-x
- Complete revascularization with multivessel PCI for myocardial infarction.N Engl J Med. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1907775
- Design and rationale of the complete trial: a randomized, comparative effectiveness study of complete versus culprit-only percutaneous coronary intervention to treat multivessel coronary artery disease in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction.Am Heart J. 2019; 215: 157-166https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2019.06.006
- CABG versus PCI: greater benefit in long-term outcomes with multiple arterial bypass grafting.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015; 66: 1417-1427https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2015.07.060
- Impact of complete percutaneous revascularization in elderly patients with chronic total occlusion.Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1002/ccd.28452
- Causes of death following PCI versus CABG in complex CAD: 5-year follow-up of SYNTAX.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 67: 42-55https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2015.10.043