- •We assessed 17 years trends in ventilator support among patients with heart failure.
- •Beside type of ventilator support the clinical profile of patients worsen over time.
- •Over time the use of noninvasive ventilation (NIV) increased significantly.
- •From 2001 to 2017 the use of invasive mechanical ventilation (IMV) decreased.
- •In hospital mortality decreased over time for NIV, NIV+IMM and was stable for IMV.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Clinical epidemiology of heart failure.Heart. 2007; 93: 1137-1146
- Population impact of heart failure and the most common forms of cancer: a study of 1 162 309 hospital cases in Sweden (1988 to 2004).Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2010; 3: 573-580
- Indications and practical approach to non-invasive ventilation in acute heart failure.Eur Heart J. 2018; 39: 17-25
- Clinical practice. Acute pulmonary edema.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 2788-2796
- Boussignac continuous positive airway pressure device in emergency care of acute cardiogenic pulmonary oedema: a randomized pilot study.Eur J Emerg Med. 2003; 10: 204-208
- Reappraisal of continuous positive airway pressure therapy in acute cardiogenic pulmonary edema.Short-term results and long-term follow-up. Chest. 1995; 107: 1379-1386
- Non-invasive ventilation as a strategy for weaning from invasive mechanical ventilation: a systematic review and Bayesian meta-analysis.Intensive Care Med. 2018; 44: 2192-2204
- National trends in incidence and outcomes of patients with heart failure requiring respiratory support.Am J Cardiol. 2019; 124: 1712-1719
- Meta-analysis: noninvasive ventilation in acute cardiogenic pulmonary edema.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 152: 590-600
- Non-invasive positive pressure ventilation (CPAP or bilevel NPPV) for cardiogenic pulmonary oedema.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 31 (May)CD005351
- Non-invasive ventilation in acute cardiogenic pulmonary edema: how to do it.Intern Emerg Med. 2018; 13: 107-111
- Acute decompensated heart failure complicated by respiratory failure.Circ Heart Fail. 2019; 12e006013
Ministry of Health. Spanish National Hospital Discharge Database (Conjunto Minimo Basico de Datos)Available at:https://www.mscbs.gob.es/estadEstudios/estadisticas/cmbdhome.htmAccessed 15 April 2019.
- ACC/AHA clinical performance measures for adults with chronic heart failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Performance Measures (Writing Committee to Develop Heart Failure Clinical Performance Measures): endorsed by the Heart Failure Society of America.Circulation. 2005; 112 (2): 1853-1887
- Epidemiological trends in invasive mechanical ventilation in the United States: A population-based study.J Crit Care. 2015; 30 (Dec): 1217-1221
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med Care. 2005; 43 (Nov): 1130-1139
- Non-invasive mechanical ventilation therapy in patients with heart failure.Anadolu Kardiyol Derg. 2012; 12: 261-268
Metkus TS, Stephens RS, Schulman S, Hsu S, Morrow DA, Eid SM. Utilization and outcomes of early respiratory support in 6.5 million acute heart failure hospitalizations. Eur Heart J Qual Care Clin Outcomes. 2019Jun 21.
- Trends in noncardiovascular comorbidities among patients hospitalized for heart failure: insights from the get with the guidelines-heart failure registry.Circ Heart Fail. 2018; 11e004646
- Trends in the management of acute heart failure requiring intensive care.Am J Cardiol. 2019; 124: 1076-1084
- Thirty-year trends in heart failure hospitalization and mortality rates and the prognostic impact of co-morbidity: a Danish nationwide cohort study.Eur J Heart Fail. 2016; 18: 490-499
- Mortality among patients hospitalized with heart failure and diabetes mellitus: results from the National Inpatient Sample 2000 to 2010.Circ Heart Fail. 2016; 9 (May)e003023
- National trends in admission and in-hospital mortality of patients with heart failure in the United States (2001-2014).J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 6
- Noninvasive ventilation in acute cardiogenic pulmonary edema.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 142-151
- Validation of Intensive Care and Mechanical Ventilation Codes in Medicare Data.Crit Care Med. 2017; 45: e711-e714
- Validation of Administrative Definitions of Invasive Mechanical Ventilation across 30 Intensive Care Units.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016; 194: 1548-1552
Stefan MS, Nathanson BH, Higgins T, Steingrub JS, Lagu T, Lindenauer PK. Validity of noninvasive and invasive ventilation billing and procedure codes in patients with acute respiratory failure. Paper presented at: American Thoracic Society International Conference; May 16-21, 2014; San Diego, CA. Available at:https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/ajrccm-conference.2014.189.1_MeetingAbstracts.A1187Accessed 15 February 2020.
- Accuracy of a heart failure diagnosis in administrative registers.Eur J Heart Fail. 2008; 10: 658-660
- Conversion of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality's Quality Indicators from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM/PCS: The Process, Results, and Implications for Users.Health Serv Res. 2018; 53: 3704-3727
- Effects on short term outcome of non-invasive ventilation use in the emergency department to treat patients with acute heart failure: A propensity score-based analysis of the EAHFE Registry.Eur J Intern Med. 2018; 53: 45-51