Older patients admitted to medical wards have a disproportionately high risk of dying. Although mortality rate estimates vary according to the case mix of patients and the hospital characteristics, the most likely figure is around 6% [
- Pilotto A.
- Veronese N.
- Daragjati J.
- Cruz-Jentoft A.J.
- Polidori M.C.
- Mattace-Raso F.
- Paccalin M.
- Topinkova E.
- Siri G.
- Greco A.
- Mangoni A.A.
- Maggi S.
- Ferrucci L.
MPI_AGE investigators. Using the Multidimensional Prognostic Index to predict clinical outcomes of hospitalized older persons: a prospective, multicenter, International Study.
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2019; 74: 1643-1649https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/gly239
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- MPI_AGE investigators. Using the Multidimensional Prognostic Index to predict clinical outcomes of hospitalized older persons: a prospective, multicenter, International Study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2019; 74: 1643-1649https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/gly239
- Long-term survival rate in patients with acute respiratory failure treated with noninvasive ventilation in ordinary wards.Crit Care Med. 2016; 44: 2139-2144https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000001866
- Comprehensive geriatric assessment for older adults admitted to hospital.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 9CD006211https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006211.pub3
- Predicting mortality and length of stay of geriatric patients in an acute care general hospital.J Gerontol. 1992; 47: M35-M39https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/47.2.m35
- A new simplified model for predicting 30-day mortality in older medical emergency department patients: the rise up score.Eur J Intern Med. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2020.02.021
Published online: May 24, 2020
Accepted: April 20, 2020
Received: April 7, 2020
© 2020 European Federation of Internal Medicine. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.