- •The information about the prognosis of patients hospitalized for acute heart failure (AHF) at extreme ranges of age is scarce.
- •The clinical profile of suprelderly patients with AHF commonly differs from younger patients.
- •Superelderly patients admitted for AHF showed and substantial increase of 1-year all-cause and heart failure death compared to younger patients. This excess of risk was also found for heart failure-readmission.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Savarese G, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Insitutet, Stockholm, Sweden, Department of Cardiology, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden, Lund LH, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Insitutet, Stockholm, Sweden, Department of Cardiology, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden. Global Public Health Burden of Heart Failure. Card Fail Rev2017;03:7. 10.15420/cfr.2016:25:2.
- Ageing populations: the challenges ahead.The Lancet. 2009; 374: 1196-1208https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61460-4
- Trends in Comorbidity, Disability, and Polypharmacy in Heart Failure.Am J Med. 2011; 124: 136-143https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2010.08.017
- Clinical phenotypes and outcome of patients hospitalized for acute heart failure: the ESC Heart Failure Long-Term Registry: Outcome of patients hospitalized for acute heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2017; 19: 1242-1254https://doi.org/10.1002/ejhf.890
- Sex‐ and age‐related differences in the management and outcomes of chronic heart failure: an analysis of patients from the ESC HFA EORP Heart Failure Long‐Term Registry.Eur J Heart Fail. 2020; 22: 92-102https://doi.org/10.1002/ejhf.1645
- ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2008‡: The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2008 of the European Society of Cardiology.Developed in collaborati. Eur J Heart Fail. 2008; 10: 933-989https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejheart.2008.08.005
- ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012: the task force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012 of the european society of cardiology.Developed in collaboration with the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 1787-1847https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehs104
Ponikowski P, Voors AA, Anker SD, Bueno H, Cleland JGF, Coats AJS, et al. 2016ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC)Developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur Heart J 2016;37:2129–200. 10.1093/eurheartj/ehw128.
- Long-term survival in patients older than 80 years hospitalised for heart failure. A 5-year prospective study.Eur J Heart Fail. 2008; 10: 78-84https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejheart.2007.11.004
- Clinical characteristics and major comorbidities in heart failure patients more than 85 years of age compared with younger age groups.Eur J Heart Fail. 2011; 13: 1216-1223https://doi.org/10.1093/eurjhf/hfr116
- Aging-Associated Cardiovascular Changes and Their Relationship to Heart Failure.Heart Fail Clin. 2012; 8: 143-164https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hfc.2011.08.011
- Wild-type transthyretin amyloidosis as a cause of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 2585-2594https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehv338
- Senile systemic amyloidosis affects 25% of the very aged and associates with genetic variation in alpha2‐macroglobulin and tau : A population‐based autopsy study.Ann Med. 2008; 40: 232-239https://doi.org/10.1080/07853890701842988
- Tafamidis Treatment for Patients with Transthyretin Amyloid Cardiomyopathy.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 1007-1016https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1805689
- Trends in Noncardiovascular Comorbidities Among Patients Hospitalized for Heart Failure: Insights From the Get With The Guidelines–Heart Failure Registry.Circ Heart Fail. 2018; 11https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.117.004646
- Fragility is a key determinant of survival in heart failure patients.Int J Cardiol. 2014; 175: 62-66https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2014.04.237
- Impact of frailty on mortality and hospitalization in chronic heart failure: A Systematic Review and Meta‐Analysis.J Am Heart Assoc. 2018; 7https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.117.008251
- Effects of sacubitril-valsartan versus valsartan in women compared with men with heart failure and preserved ejection fraction: insights from PARAGON-HF.Circulation. 2020; 141: 338-351https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.119.044491
All above authors take responsibility for all aspects of the reliability and freedom from bias of the data presented and their discussed interpretation