- •Post-procedural AKI is associated with increased short-term mortality in patients treated with TAVI.
- •Patients with severe CKD with AKI showed the highest 30-day mortality risk.
- •Closer monitoring and specific kidney protection therapies are required for AKI prevention after TAVI.
Abbreviations:AKI (acute kidney injury), TAVI (transcatheter aortic valve implantation), CV (cardiovascular), AS (aortic stenosis), CKD (chronic kidney disease), KDIGO (kidney disease improving global outcome), PAD (peripheral artery disease), STS (society of thoracic surgery), EF (ejection fraction), VARC (valvular academic research consortium), CKD-EPI (Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration), Scr (serum creatinine), EC (ethic committee), NYHA (new york heart association), AVAi (aortic valve area index), eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate), SAVR (surgical aortic valve replacement)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Transcatheter or surgical aortic-valve replacement in intermediate-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 1609-1620
- Transcatheter Aortic-Valve Replacement with a Balloon-Expandable Valve in Low-Risk Patients.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1695-1705
- Comparison of late mortality after transcatheter aortic valve implantation versus surgical aortic valve replacement: Insights from a meta-analysis.Eur J Intern Med. 2017; 40: 43-49
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation in nonagenarians: effective and safe.Eur J Intern Med. 2013; 24: 750-755
- Post procedural risk assessment in patients undergoing trans aortic valve implantation according to the age, creatinine, and ejection fraction-7 score: Advantages of age, creatinine, and ejection fraction-7 in stratification of post-procedural outcome.Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2019; 93: 141-148
- Renal dysfunction and transcatheter aortic valve implantation outcomes.Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2016; 14: 1315-1323
- In-Hospital Outcomes of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation in Patients With End-Stage Renal Disease on Dialysis from a Large National Database.Am J Cardiol. 2017; 120: 1355-1358
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation in dialysis patients.Nephron Clin Pract. 2012; 120: c86-c90
- Updated standardized endpoint definitions for transcatheter aortic valve implantation: the Valve Academic Research Consortium-2 consensus document.Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 2403-2418
- KDIGO Clinical Practice Guidelines for acute kidney Injury.Kidney International Supplements. 2012; 2: 1-138
- TAVI is on the move! How it compares with surgery and what complications we still have to consider.Eur Heart J. 2019; 40: 3129-3133
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation: Update in 2018.Eur J Intern Med. 2018; 55: 12-19
- Impact of preoperative renal dysfunction on long-term survival for patients undergoing aortic valve replacement.Ann Thorac Surg. 2011; 91: 1798e1807
- Impact of Chronic Kidney Disease on Decision Making and Management in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Interventions.Can J Cardiol. 2019; 35: 1188-1194
- Advanced chronic kidney disease in patient undergoing transchateter aortic valve implantation: insights on clinical outcomes and prognostic markers from a large cohort of patients.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 2685-2696
- Townend JN; UK TAVI Steering Group; National Institute for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research. Impact of renal function on survival after transchateter aortic valve implantation (TAVI): an analysis of UK TAVI registry.Heart. 2015; 101: 546-552
- Acute kidney injury following transcatheter aortic valve implantation: predictive factors, prognostic value, and comparison with surgical aortic valve replacement.Eur Heart J. 2010; 31: 865-874
- Timing of acute kidney injury–does it matter? A single-centre experience from the United Kingdom.Eur J Intern Med. 2014; 25: 669-739
- Risk of acute kidney injury in patients with severe aortic valve stenosis undergoing transcatheter valve replacement.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009; 24: 2175-2179
- Minimally invasive transapical aortic valve implantation and the risk of acute kidney injury.Ann Thorac Surg. 2010; 89: 465-470
- The risk of acute kidney injury following transapical versus transfemoral transcatheter aortic valve replacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Kidney J. 2016; 9: 560-566
- Acute kidney injury after aortic valve replacement: incidence, risk factors and outcomes.Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2015; 13: 301-316
- Incidence and predictors of acute kidney injury in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation.Am Heart J. 2011; 161: 735-739
- The effects of VARC-defined acute kidney injury after transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) using the Edwards bioprosthesis.Eurointervention. 2012; 8: 563-570
- Risk of acute kidney injury after minimally invasive transapical aortic valve implantation in 270 patients.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2011; 39: 835-842
- The ratio of contrast volume to glomerular filtration rate predicts acute kidney injury and mortality after transcatheter aortic valve implantation.Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2017; 18: 349-355
- The importance of contrast volume/glomerular filtration rate ratio in contrast-induced nephropathy patients after transcatheter aortic valve implantation.Cardiorenal Med. 2015; 5: 31-39
- Persistent renal damage after contrast-induced acute kidney injury: incidence, evolution, risk factors and prognosis.Circulation. 2012; 125: 3099-3107
- Prognostic relevance of glomerular filtration rate estimation obtained through different equations in hospitalized elderly patients.Eur J Intern Med. 2018; 54: 60-64
- Impaired renal function is associated with adverse outcomes in patients with chest pain discharged from internal medicine wards.Eur J Intern Med. 2018; 53: 57-61
- Document reviewers. Chronic kidney disease in patients with cardiac rhythm disturbances or implantable electrical devices: clinical significance and implications for decision making-a position paper of the European Heart Rhythm Association endorsed by the Heart Rhythm Society and the Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society.Europace. 2015; 17: 1169-1196