- •Liver transplant recipients show a high cardiovascular risk.
- •No validated guidelines are available for cardiovascular prevention.
- •Available studies display clear methodological limits.
- •The present study shows a very long follow-up period.
- •Pre-transplant diabetes is a strong predictor of cardiovascular events.
Abbreviations:AVE (atherosclerotic vascular event), BMI (body mass index), CI (confidence interval), CNIs (calcineurin inhibitors), CSA (cyclosporine), CV (cardiovascular), DM (diabetes mellitus), EVE (everolimus), HCC (hepatocellular carcinoma), IR (insulin resistance), LT (liver transplant), mTOR (mammalian target of rapamycin), MELD (model for end-stage liver disease), MetS (metabolic syndrome), MMF (mycophenolate mofetile), NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease), NASH (non-alcoholic steatohepatitis), SD (standard deviation), SIR (sirolimus), TAC (tacrolimus)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Liver transplantation: current status and challenges.World J Gastroenterol. 2016; 22: 4438-4445https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v22.i18.4438
- Factors associated with nutritional status in liver transplant patients who survived the first year after transplantation.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010; 25: 391-396
Merli M., Giusto M., Riggio O., Gentili F., Molinaro A., Attili A.F., et al. Improvement of nutritional status in malnourished cirrhotic patients one year after liver transplantation. e-SPEN2011;6:e142-7.
- Reduction in energy expenditure after liver transplantation.Nutrition. 2001; 17: 585-589
- Weight gain and obesity after liver transplantation.Transpl Int. 2005; 18: 461-466
- Metabolic complications in liver transplant recipients.World J Gastroenterol. 2016; 22: 6416-6423
- Metabolic syndrome and liver transplantation: a review and guide to management.J Hepatol. 2010; 53: 199-206
- Long term management of the successful adult liver transplant: 2012 practice guideline by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and the American Society of Transplantation.Liver Transpl. 2013; 19: 3-26
- Is liver transplantation a risk factor for cardiovascular disease? A meta-analysis of observational studies.Liver Transpl. 2012; 18: 1140-1146
- Cardiovascular risk factors following orthotopic liver transplantation: predisposing factors, incidence and management.Liver Int. 2010; 30: 948-957
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Annual Report of the US Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network and the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients. 2012. https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/data/view-data-reports/annual-report/. Published June 2014].
- Long-term probability of and mortality from de novo malignancy after liver transplantation.Gastroenterology. 2009; 137: 2010-2017
- Evaluation for liver transplantation in adults: 2013 practice guideline by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and the American Society of Transplantation.Hepatology. 2014; 59: 1144-1165
- Incidence of and risk assessment for adverse cardiovascular outcomes after liver transplantation: a systematic review.Transplantation. 2017; 101: 1645-1657https://doi.org/10.1097/TP.0000000000001710
- Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement.Circulation. 2005; 112: 2735-2752
- NAFLD recurrence in liver transplant recipients.Transplantation. 2011; 91: 684-689
- ACC/AHA guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 63 (2014): 2889-2934
- Late mortality after orthotopic liver transplantation.Am J Surg. 2001; 18: 475-479
- Factors associated with major adverse cardiovascular events after liver transplantation among a national sample.Am J Transplant. 2016; 16: 2684-2694
- Serum adipokine and inflammatory markers before and after liver transplantation in recipients with major cardiovascular events.Liver Transpl. 2014; 20: 791-797
- Incidence of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular events associated with sirolimus use after liver transplantation.Transplant Proc. 2015; 47: 460-464
- Validation of cardiovascular risk scores in a liver transplant population.Liver Transpl. 2006; 12: 394-401
- Cumulative risk of cardiovascular events after orthotopic liver transplantation.Liver Transpl. 2012; 18: 370-375
- Preoperative coronary calcium score is predictive of early postoperative cardiovascular complications in liver transplant recipients.Br J Anaesth. 2015; 114: 437-443https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aeu384
- EASL clinical practice guidelines: liver transplantation.J Hepatol. 2016; 64: 433-485
- Predictors of cardiovascular events after liver transplantation: a role for pretransplant serum troponin levels.Liver Transpl. 2011; 17: 23-31
- The impact of preexisting and post-transplant diabetes mellitus on outcomes following liver transplantation.Transplantation. 2019; 103: 2523-2530
- Cardiovascular disease after liver transplantation: when, what, and who is at risk.Liver Transpl. 2015; 21: 889-896
- Risk factors for metabolic syndrome after liver transplantation: a systematic review and meta analysis.Transplant Rev (Orlando). 2018; 32: 69-77https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trre.2017.03.004
- Impact of hepatitis C virus clearance by direct-acting antiviral treatment on the incidence of major cardiovascular events: a prospective multicentre study.Atherosclerosis. 2020; 296: 40-47
- Liver transplantation for alcoholic liver disease in Europe: a study from the ELTR (European Liver Transplant Registry).Am J Transplant. 2010; 10: 138-148
- Alcohol relapse after liver transplantation for alcoholic cirrhosis-impact on liver graft and patient survival: a meta-analysis.Alcohol Alcohol. 2018; 53: 166-172
- Sirolimus and cardiovascular disease risk in liver transplantation.Transplantation. 2013; 95: 215-221
- Association between renal dysfunction and major adverse cardiac events after liver transplantation: evidence from an international randomized trial of everolimus-based immunosuppression.Ann Transplant. 2018; 23: 751-757