- •POCUS is a recommended diagnostic and monitoring tool in Internal Medicine.
- •POCUS was performed by trained physicians in an elderly population.
- •POCUS reduces standard radiological and US examinations in this settings.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Point-of-care ultrasonography.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 749-757
- Birth of “echoscopy”: the EFSUMB point of view.Ultraschall Med. 2013; 34: 92
- Proceedings of the compact ultrasound conference sponsored by the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine.J Ultrasound Med. 2004; 23: 1249-1254
- Emergency ultrasound guidelines.Ann Emerg Med. 2009; 53: 550-570
- International evidence-based reccomendations for focused cardiac ultrasound.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2014; 27 (683.e1-683.e33)
- Bedside ultrasonography in the ICU: part 1.Chest. 2005; 128: 881-895
- Bedside ultrasonography in the ICU: part 2.Chest. 2005; 128: 1766-1781
- The practice and implications of finding fluid during point-of-care ultrasonography: a review.JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Dec 1; 177: 1818-1825
- Bedside ultrasonography (US), echoscopy and US point of care as a new kind of stethoscope for internal medicine departments: the training program of Italian Internal Medicine Society (SIMI).Intern Emerg Med. 2014; 9: 805-814
- Ultrasound-assisted paracentesis performed by emergency physicians vs the traditional technique: a prospective, randomized study.Am J Emerg Med. 2005; 23: 363-367
- Real-time ultrasound-guided catheterisation of the internal jugular vein: a prospective comparison with the landmark technique in critical care patients.Crit Care. 2006; 10: R162
- Point-of-care ultrasound in internal medicine: a position paper by the ultrasound working group of the European federation of internal medicine.Eur J Intern Med. 2019; (Dec 10;S0953-6205(19)30417-0)
- Routinely adding ultrasound examinations by pocket-sized ultrasound devices improves inpatient diagnostics in a medical department.Eur J Intern Med. 2012; 23: 185-191
- Lung ultrasound in internal medicine efficiently drives the management of patients with heart failure and speeds up the discharge time.Intern Emerg Med. 2018; 13: 27-33
- Economic analysis of bedside ultrasonography (US) implementation in an Internal Medicine department.Intern Emerg Med. 2015; 10: 1015-1024
- Usefulness of hand-held ultrasonography as a gatekeeper to standard echocardiography for "rarely appropriate" echocardiography requests.Am J Cardiol. 2016 Nov 15; 118: 1588-1592
- Diagnostic accuracy and cost-effectiveness of a pocket-sized transthoracic echocardiographic imaging device.Clin Cardiol. 2013; 36: 603-610
- Handheld ultrasound versus physical examination in patients referred for transthoracic echocardiography for a suspected cardiac condition.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014; 7: 983-990
- Focused cardiac ultrasound in place of repeat echocardiography: reliability and cost implications.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015; 28: 1053-1059
- Validation of a modified Early Warning Score in medical admission.QJM. 2001; 94: 521-526
- Prediction of in-hospital mortality and length of stay using an early warning scoring system: clinical audit.Clin Med. 2006; 6: 281-284
- International evidence-based recommendations for focused cardiac ultrasound.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2014; 27 (683.e1-683.e33)
- Point-of-care ultrasound in general practice: a systematic review.Ann Fam Med. 2019; 17: 61-69
- Lung ultrasound and chest X-ray for detecting pneumonia in an acute geriatric ward.Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95: e4153
- Lung ultrasound for the diagnosis of pneumonia in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Respir Res. 2014 Apr 23; 15: 50
- Diagnostic value of chest radiographs in bedridden patients suspected of having pneumonia.Am J Med. 2010; 123 (88.e1-5)
- Incidental findings on bedside ultrasonography: detection rate and accuracy of resident-performed examinations in the acute setting.Can Assoc Radiol J. 2015; 66: 153-157
- Short- and long-term effects of emergency medicine sonography on formal sonography use: a decade of experience.J Ultrasound Med. 2006; 25: 233-236
Published online: July 20, 2020
Accepted: June 25, 2020
Received in revised form: June 4, 2020
Received: April 6, 2020
© 2020 European Federation of Internal Medicine. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.