- •A decreasing trend in the efficacy of rifabutin-based therapy was detected, particularly when clarithromycin resistance was present.
- •Our data confirm Pylera® regimen as a reliable option to successfully treat eradication failure patients. Indeed, the eradication rates are steadily high (90%) until the fourth-line attempt.
- •These findings would suggest that the role of rifabutin-based regimen as rescue therapy should be at least reconsidered, and its use reserved to selected patients.
- •Unfortunately, Pylera® regimen is really complex and causes side-effects more frequently than other therapies.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Helicobacter pylori: atlas of investigation and management.Clinical Publishing, 2012
- Eradication therapy for Helicobacter pylori.Gastroenterology. 2007; 133: 985-1001
- Impact of primary antibiotic resistance on the effectiveness of sequential therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection: lessons from a 5-year study on a large number of strains.Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2018; 47: 1261-1269
- Management of Helicobacter pylori infection-the Maastricht V/Florence Consensus Report.Gut. 2017; 66: 6-30
- Guidelines for the management of helicobacter pylori infection in Italy: the III working group consensus report 2015.Dig Liver Dis. 2015; 47: 903-912
Available online:http://www.eucast.org/clinical_breakpoints (accessed on 07 january 2020).
- Altman D.G Machin D. Trevor N.B. 2nd editor. BMJ Books, London, UK2000
- ACG clinical guideline: treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection.Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2017; 112: 212-239
- Clinical practice. Helicobacter pylori infection.N. Engl. J. Med. 2010; 362: 1597-1604
- Helicobacter pylori resistance to antibiotics in Europe and its relationship to antibiotic consumption.Gut. 2003; 62: 34-42
- Role of MIC levels of resistance to clarithromycin and metronidazole in Helicobacter pylori eradication.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2019; 74: 772-774
- Helicobacter pylori therapy: a paradigm shift.Expert Rev Anti Infect. Ther. 2016; 14: 577-585
- Helicobacter pylori infection and antibiotic resistance: a WHO high priority?.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; 14: 383-384
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of antibiotic consumption on antibiotic resistance.BMC Infect. Dis. 2014; 14: 13
- Prevalence of antibiotic resistance in helicobacter pylori: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis in World Health Organization Regions.Gastroenterology. 2018; 155: 1372-1382
- Tiing Leong Ang Second and third line treatment options for Helicobacter pylori eradication.World J Gastroenterol. 2014; 14 (20): 1517-1528
- Efficacy of rifabutin-based triple therapy in Helicobacter pylori infected patients after two standard treatments.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007; 22: 60-63
- Review article: rifabutin in the treatment of refractory Helicobacter pylori infection.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 35: 209-221
- culture-based rescue therapy for patients who did not respond to previous treatments for Helicobacter pylori infection.Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2013; 11: 507-510
- Antibiotic resistance and therapy outcome in h. pylori eradication failure patients.Antibiotics. 2020; (epub ahead of print)
- Bismuth-based Quadruple Therapy Following H. Pylori Eradication Failures: a Multicenter Study in Clinical Practice.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017; 30: 621-625
- Rescue therapy with bismuth quadruple regimen in patients with Helicobacter pylori—Resistant strains.Helicobacter. 2017; 22: e12448
- The current role of dual therapy for treatment of Helicobacter pylori: back to the future?.Eur. J. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2020; (epub ahead of print)