Alexander P. Benz reports a personal research grant from the German Heart Foundation (Deutsche Herzstiftung e.V.). John W. Eikelboom received grants and/or research support from AstraZeneca, Bayer, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Daiichi Sankyo, Inc., Janssen, Pfizer and Portola.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Challenges of establishing new antithrombotic therapies in atrial fibrillation.Circulation. 2007; 116: 449-455
- A 10 year study of hospitalized atrial fibrillation-related stroke in England and its association with uptake of oral anticoagulation.Eur Heart J. 2018; 39: 2975-2983
- Prevention of pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis with low dose aspirin: pulmonary embolism prevention (PEP) trial.Lancet. 2000; 355: 1295-1302
- Low-dose aspirin for preventing recurrent venous thromboembolism.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1979-1987
- Meta-analysis: antithrombotic therapy to prevent stroke in patients who have nonvalvular atrial fibrillation.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 146: 857-867
- Bleeding risk in randomized controlled trials comparing warfarin and aspirin: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Thromb Haemost. 2012; 10: 512-520
- Bleeding risk comparison between direct oral anticoagulants at doses approved for atrial fibrillation and aspirin: systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression.Eur J Intern Med. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2020.05.001
- Rivaroxaban or aspirin for extended treatment of venous thromboembolism.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1211-1222
- Apixaban in patients with atrial fibrillation.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 806-817
- Rivaroxaban for stroke prevention after embolic stroke of undetermined source.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2191-2201
- Dabigatran for prevention of stroke after embolic stroke of undetermined source.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1906-1917
- Comparison of the efficacy and safety of new oral anticoagulants with warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis of randomised trials.Lancet. 2014; 383: 955-962
- ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with EACTS.Eur Heart J. 2016; 37 (2016): 2893-2962
- AHA/ACC/HRS focused update of the 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 74 (2019): 104-132
Published online: August 06, 2020
Accepted: July 31, 2020
Received: July 29, 2020
© 2020 European Federation of Internal Medicine. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.