- •The prevalence of elevated CAP is high in type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- •Diabetic patients had high prevalence of moderate fibrosis based on elastography.
- •Diabetic patients had high prevalence of advanced fibrosis based on elastography.
- •More than one third of diabetic patients had advanced fibrosis on liver biopsy.
- •A more aggressive screening for NAFLD and fibrosis in diabetic patients is needed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Prevalence of obesity in type 2 diabetes in secondary care: association with cardiovascular risk factors.Postgrad Med J. 2006; 82: 280-284
- Fat in the liver and insulin resistance.Ann Med. 2005; 37: 347-356
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2002; 17 (Suppl:S186-90)
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench. 2017; 10: S1-S7
- A new definition for metabolic dysfunction-associated fatty liver disease: an international expert consensus statement [published online ahead of print.J Hepatol 2020. 2020; (Apr 8) (S0168-8278(20)30201-4)
- MAFLD: a consensus-driven proposed nomenclature for metabolic associated fatty liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2020; 158: 1999-2014
- Liver ATP synthesis is lower and relates to insulin sensitivity in patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 448-453
- FoxO1 integrates insulin signaling to VLDL production.Cell Cycle. 2008; 7: 3162-3170
- Increased lipolysis, diminished adipose tissue insulin sensitivity, and impaired β-cell function relative to adipose tissue insulin sensitivity in obese youth with impaired glucose tolerance.Diabetes. 2017; 66: 3085-3090
- Hepatic fatty acid translocase CD36 upregulation is associated with insulin resistance, hyperinsulinaemia and increased steatosis in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis and chronic hepatitis C.Gut. 2011; 60: 1394-1402
- Evidence of NAFLD progression from steatosis to fibrosing-steatohepatitis using paired biopsies: implications for prognosis and clinical management.J Hepatol. 2015; 62: 1148-1155
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: mayo Clinic experiences with a hitherto unnamed disease.Mayo Clin Proc. 1980; 55: 434-438
- Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Clinical Research Network. Design and validation of a histological scoring system for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Hepatology. 2005; 41: 1313-1321
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a spectrum of clinical and pathological severity.Gastroenterology. 1999; 116: 1413-1419
- Clinical model for NASH and advanced fibrosis in adult patients with diabetes and NAFLD: guidelines for referral in NAFLD.Diabetes Care. 2015; 38: 1347-1355
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: liver disease: an overlooked complication of diabetes mellitus.Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 2010; 6: 660-661
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is independently associated with an increased incidence of cardiovascular events in type 2 diabetic patients.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 2119-2121
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and chronic vascular complications of diabetes mellitus.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2018; 14: 99-114
- LIDO Study Group. Sampling variability of liver biopsy in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2005; 128: 1898-1906
- Accuracy of fibroscan controlled attenuation parameter and liver stiffness measurement in assessing steatosis and fibrosis in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2019; (Jan 25pii: S0016-5085(19)30105-2)
- EASLEASD- EASO Clinical Practice Guidelines for the management of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.J. Hepatol. 2016; 64: 1388-1402
- The diagnosis and management of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: practice guideline by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, American College of Gastroenterology, and the American Gastroenterological Association.Hepatology. 2012; 55: 2005-2023
American Diabetes Associatio. Diabetes care2013Jan; 36(Supplement 1): S11-S66.
- Controlled attenuation parameter (CAP): a novel VCTE™ guided ultrasonic attenuation measurement for the evaluation of hepatic steatosis: preliminary study and validation in a cohort of patients with chronic liver disease from various causes.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2010; 36: 1825-1835
- Diagnosis of fibrosis and cirrhosis using liver stiffness measurement in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Hepatology. 2010; 51: 454-462
- Liver stiffness measurement using XL probe in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Am J Gastroenterol. 2012; 107: 1862-1871
- Design and validation of a histological scoring system for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Hepatology. 2005; 41: 1313-1321
- Screening diabetic patients for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease with controlled attenuation parameter and liver stiffness measurements: a prospective cohort study.Gut. 2016; 65: 1359-1368
- Screening for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus using transient elastography.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 34: 1396-1403
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in type 2 diabetes mellitus.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004; 19: 854-858
- Prevalence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and its association with impaired glucose metabolism in Japanese adults.Diabet Med. 2005; 22: 1141-1145
- High prevalence of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and normal plasma aminotransferase levels.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015; 100: 2231-2238
- The utility of radiological imaging in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2002; 123: 745-750
- Low grade inflammation and coronary heart disease: prospective study and updated meta-analyses.BMJ. 2000; 321: 199-204
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is closely associated with sub-clinical inflammation: a case-control study on Asian Indians in North India.J Hepatol. 2006; 44: 1167-1174
- Associations between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 concentrations and liver histology in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2007; 17: 517-524
- Strong association between non alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and low 25(OH) vitamin D levels in an adult population with normal serum liver enzymes.BMC Med. 2011; 9: 85
- Diabetes increases the risk of chronic liver disease and hepatocellular carcinoma.Gastroenterology. 2004; 126: 460-468
- Presence of diabetes mellitus and steatosis is associated with liver stiffness in a general population: the Rotterdam study.Hepatology. 2016; 63: 138-147
- Fibrosis stage but not NASH predicts mortality and time to development of severe liver disease in biopsy-proven NAFLD.J Hepatol. 2017; 67: 1265-1273
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and liver transplantation - where do we stand?.World J Gastroenterol. 2018; 24: 1491-1506
- Screening for liver fibrosis by using a noninvasive biomarker in patients with diabetes.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 6: 828-831
- Natural history of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: implications for clinical practice and an individualized approach.Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020; (Jan 21;2020:9181368)