- •High levels of cFGF23 were associated with mortality in patients with eGFR ≥45ml/min/1.73m².
- •Patients above the cut-off (6.82 pmol/l) had a worse 1-year-mortality (33.3% vs. 19.6%, p= 0.038).
- •This association remained significant even after correction for possible confounders.
- •cFGF23 could be a novel risk factor for patients undergoing TAVR with eGFR ≥45ml/min/1.73m².
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Purification of a fibroblast growth factor from bovine pituitary.J Biol Chem. 1975; 250: 2515-2520
- Fibroblast growth factors: from molecular evolution to roles in development, metabolism and disease.J Biochem. 2011; 149: 121-130
- Phosphate metabolism in health and disease.Calcif Tissue Int. 2020;
- Targeted ablation of Fgf23 demonstrates an essential physiological role of FGF23 in phosphate and vitamin D metabolism.J Clin Invest. 2004; 113: 561-568
- The FGF23–Klotho axis: endocrine regulation of phosphate homeostasis.Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2009; 5: 611-619
- Coupling fibroblast growth factor 23 production and cleavage: iron deficiency, rickets, and kidney disease.Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2014; 23: 411-419
- Cloning and characterization of FGF23 as a causative factor of tumor-induced osteomalacia.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2001; 98: 6500-6505
- Transgenic mice expressing fibroblast growth factor 23 under the control of the alpha1(I) collagen promoter exhibit growth retardation, osteomalacia, and disturbed phosphate homeostasis.Endocrinology. 2004; 145: 3087-3094
- FGF23: is it another biomarker for phosphate-calcium metabolism?.Adv Ther. 2020;
- FGF23 and mineral metabolism, implications in CKD-MBD.Nefrologia. 2012; 32: 275-278
- Fibroblast growth factor 23–structure, function and role in kidney diseases.Adv Clin Exp Med. 2012; 21: 391-401
- C-terminal and intact FGF23 in critical illness and their associations with acute kidney injury and in-hospital mortality.Cytokine. 2018; 103: 15-19
- Isolated C-terminal tail of FGF23 alleviates hypophosphatemia by inhibiting FGF23-FGFR-Klotho complex formation.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2010; 107: 407-412
- Dietary phosphate modulates atherogenesis and insulin resistance in apolipoprotein E knockout mice–brief report.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011; 31: 1988-1990
- Plaque calcification during atherosclerosis progression and regression.J Atheroscler Thromb. 2018; 25: 294-303
- Calcium phosphate product is associated with subclinical carotid atherosclerosis in type 2 diabetes.J Diabetes Res. 2017; 20173498368
- Serum phosphate is associated with aortic valve calcification in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA).Atherosclerosis. 2014; 233: 331-337
- Calcific aortic stenosis.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2016; 2: 16006
- Associations of FGF-23 and sKlotho with cardiovascular outcomes among patients with CKD stages 2-4.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014; 9: 1049-1058
Isakova T., Xie H., Yang W., Xie D., Anderson A.H., Scialla J., Wahl P., Gutiérrez O.M., Steigerwalt S., He J., Schwartz S., Lo J., Ojo A., Sondheimer J., Hsu C., Lash J., Leonard M., Kusek J.W., Feldman H.I., Wolf M., Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) Study Group (2011) Fibroblast growth factor 23 and risks of mortality and end-stage renal disease in patients with chronic kidney disease. JAMA 305:2432–2439 . https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.826.
- FGF23 and phosphate-cardiovascular toxins in CKD.Toxins (Basel). 2019; 11
- Longitudinal FGF23 trajectories and mortality in patients with CKD.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018; 29: 579-590
- The associations of fibroblast growth factor 23 and uncarboxylated matrix Gla protein with mortality in coronary artery disease: the Heart and Soul Study.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 152: 640-648
- Fibroblast growth factor 23 (FGF23) and mortality: the Ludwigshafen risk and cardiovascular health study.Atherosclerosis. 2014; 237: 53-59
- Fibroblast growth factor 23 and cause-specific mortality in the general population: the northern Manhattan study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016; 101: 3779-3786
- Fibroblast growth factor-23, cardiovascular prognosis, and benefit of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition in stable ischemic heart disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2421-2428
- FGF23 in cardiovascular disease: innocent bystander or active mediator?.Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2018; 9: 351
- Serum intact FGF23 associate with left ventricular mass, hypertrophy and geometry in an elderly population.Atherosclerosis. 2009; 207: 546-551
- Fibroblast growth factor 23 (FGF23) predicts progression of chronic kidney disease: the mild to moderate kidney disease (MMKD) study.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007; 18: 2600-2608
- Fibroblast growth factor 23 and mortality among patients undergoing hemodialysis.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 584-592
- High levels of serum fibroblast growth factor (FGF)-23 are associated with increased mortality in long haemodialysis patients.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009; 24: 2792-2796
- 2017 ESC/EACTS guidelines for the management of valvular heart disease.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 2739-2791
Vahanian A., Alfieri O., Andreotti F., Antunes M.J., Barón-Esquivias G., Baumgartner H., Borger M.A., Carrel T.P., De Bonis M., Evangelista A., Falk V., Lung B., Lancellotti P., Pierard L., Price S., Schäfers H.-J., Schuler G., Stepinska J., Swedberg K., Takkenberg J., Von Oppell U.O., Windecker S., Zamorano J.L., Zembala M., ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG), joint task force on the management of valvular heart disease of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC), European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS) (2012) guidelines on the management of valvular heart disease (version 2012): the joint task force on the management of valvular heart disease of the european society of cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 42:S1-44 . https://doi.org/10.1093/ejcts/ezs455.
- Dietary protein restriction and the progression of chronic renal disease: what have all of the results of the MDRD study shown? Modification of diet in renal disease study group.J Am Soc Nephrol. 1999; 10: 2426-2439
- The Youden index in the generalized receiver operating characteristic curve context.Int J Biostat. 2019; 15
- Youden's index and the weight of evidence.Methods Inf Med. 2015; 54: 198-199
- C-Terminal to intact fibroblast growth factor 23 ratio in relation to estimated glomerular filtration rate in elderly population.KBR. 2016; 41: 519-526
Kappetein A.P., Head S.J., Généreux P., Piazza N., van Mieghem N.M., Blackstone E.H., Brott T.G., Cohen D.J., Cutlip D.E., van Es G.-A., Hahn R.T., Kirtane A.J., Krucoff M.W., Kodali S., Mack M.J., Mehran R., Rodés-Cabau J., Vranckx P., Webb J.G., Windecker S., Serruys P.W., Leon M.B., Valve Academic Research Consortium (VARC)-2 (2012) Updated standardized endpoint definitions for transcatheter aortic valve implantation: the Valve Academic Research Consortium-2 consensus document (VARC-2). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 42:S45-60 . https://doi.org/10.1093/ejcts/ezs533.
- FGF-23 and cardiovascular disease: review of literature.Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2016; 23: 423-429
- Circulating levels of soluble Klotho and fibroblast growth factor 23 in diabetic patients and its association with early nephropathy.Arch Med Res. 2018; 49: 451-455
- Role of FGF23 in vitamin d and phosphate metabolism: implications in chronic kidney disease.Exp Cell Res. 2012; 318: 1040-1048
- Vascular calcifications, vertebral fractures and mortality in haemodialysis patients.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009; 24: 239-246
- The EPO-FGF23 signaling pathway in erythroid progenitor cells: opening a new area of research.Front Physiol. 2019; 10: 304
- Prognostic value of chronic kidney disease after transcatheter aortic valve implantation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 62: 869-877
- Advanced chronic kidney disease: relationship to outcomes post-TAVR, a meta-analysis.Clin Cardiol. 2018; 41: 1091-1096
- Accuracy of the MDRD (Modification of Diet in Renal Disease) study and CKD-EPI (CKD Epidemiology Collaboration) equations for estimation of GFR in the elderly.Am J Kidney Dis. 2013; 61: 57-66
- The evolution of surgical valves.Cardiovasc Med. 2017; 20: 285-292