- •Adjusted incidence of hospitalizations for PE was higher in COPD patients.
- •In hospital mortality (IHM) was significantly associated with suffering COPD.
- •IHM predictors included age, comorbidity, atrial fibrillation and oxygen dependence
- •Obesity was associated with lower IHM in COPD patients hospitalized with PE.
Abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), CCI (Charlson comorbidity index), CI (confidence intervals), COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), DRG (diagnosis-related groups), ICD-10 (international classification of diseases-10th revision), IHM (in-hospital-mortality), IRR (incidence rate ratios), LOHS (length of hospital stay), OR (odds ratio), PE (pulmonary embolism), PSM (propensity score matching), SNHDD (Spanish national hospital discharge database)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Prevalence and determinants of COPD in Spain: EPISCAN II.Arch Bronconeumol. 2020; (S0300-2896(20)30259-3)
- Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030.PLoS Med. 2006; 3: e442
Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. 2020 report. https://goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/GOLD-2020-REPORT-ver1.0wms.pdf. [accessed: 15 May 2020].
- Clinical outcome of patients with suspected pulmonary embolism. A follow-up study of 588 consecutive patients.J Intern Med. 2001; 250: 137-143
- Arterial and venous thromboembolism in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: from pathogenic mechanisms to prevention and treatment.Pneumonol Alergol Pol. 2015; 83: 485-494
- Pulmonary embolism in patients with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Chin Med J (Engl). 2018; 13: 1732-1737
- Pulmonary embolism in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a population-based cohort study.COPD. 2014; 11: 438-443
- Pulmonary embolism among patients with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: implications for emergency medicine.J Emerg Med. 2018; 55: 339-346
- Incidence and impact of pulmonary embolism during severe COPD exacerbation.Respir Care. 2019; 64: 1531-1536
- Prevalence and risk factors for pulmonary embolism in patients with suspected acute exacerbation of COPD: a multi-center study.Eur J Intern Med. 2020; 80: 54-59
- Venous thromboembolism in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Am J Med. 2012; 125: 1010-1018
- Clinical presentation and outcome of venous thromboembolism in COPD.Eur Respir J. 2012; 39: 862-868
- Incidence and impact outcome of pulmonary embolism in critically ill patients with severe exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases.Clin Respir J. 2015; 9: 270-277
Ministry of Health. Spanish National Hospital Discharge Database (Conjunto Minimo Basico de Datos). https://www.mscbs.gob.es/estadEstudios/estadisticas/cmbdhome.htm. [accessed 15 April 2020].
- Analysis of national trends in admissions for pulmonary embolism.Chest. 2016; 150: 35-45
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1130-1139
Instituto Nacional de la Salud. Ministerio de Sanidad y Consumo. CMBD Insalud. Análisis de los GRDs. Año 2000. https://ingesa.sanidad.gob.es/bibliotecaPublicaciones/publicaciones/internet/docs/cmbd2000.pdf. [accessed 15 May 2020].
- An introduction to propensity score methods for reducing the effects of confounding in observational studies.Multivariate Behav Res. 2011; 46: 399-424
- Propensity score methods for bias reduction in the comparison of a treatment to a non-randomized control group.Stat Med. 1998; 17: 2265-2281
Instituto Nacional de Estadística. Encuesta Nacional de Salud 2017 [Spanish National Health Survey 2017]. https://www.mscbs.gob.es/estadEstudios/estadisticas/encuestaNacional/encuesta2017.htm. [accessed 20 January 2020].
- Population estimates.National Stadistical Institute, 2016 (http://www.ine.es. [accessed 8 January 2020])
- Cardiovascular disease in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Saskatchewan Canada cardiovascular disease in COPD patients.Ann Epidemiol. 2006; 16: 63-70
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and the risk of cardiovascular diseases.Eur J Epidemiol. 2010; 25: 253-260
- Infections and inflammatory diseases as risk factors for venous thrombosis. A systematic review.Thromb Haemost. 2012; 107: 827-837
- COPD and risk of venous thromboembolism and mortality in a general population.Eur Respir J. 2016; 47: 473-481
- Incidence of pulmonary embolism during COPD exacerbation.J Bras Pneumol. 2014; 40: 38-45
- Prevalence of pulmonary embolism in acute exacerbations of COPD: a systematic review and metaanalysis.Chest. 2009; 135: 786-793
- Risk factors for venous thromboembolism in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Chronic Obstr Pulm Dis. 2014; 1: 239-249
- Prevalence and localization of pulmonary embolism in unexplained acute exacerbations of COPD: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Chest. 2017; 151: 544-554
- Obesity paradox in pulmonary embolism: myth or reality?.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 1925-1927
- Obesity and pulmonary embolism: the mounting evidence of risk and the mortality paradox.Thromb Res. 2011; 128: 518-523
- [Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in patients with acute symptomatic pulmonary embolism].Arch Bronconeumol. 2009; 45: 286-290
- Predictors of costs from the hospital perspective of primary pulmonary embolism.Eur Respir J. 2016; 47: 203-211
- Pulmonary embolism in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or congestive heart failure.Am J Med. 2006; 119: 851-858
- The structural basis of pulmonary hypertension in chronic lung disease: remodelling, rarefaction or angiogenesis?.J Anat. 2002; 201: 335-348
- Prognostic impact of the Charlson comorbidity index on mortality following acute pulmonary embolism.Respiration. 2013; 85: 408-416
- Comorbidity assessment as predictor of short and long-term mortality in elderly patients with hemodynamically stable acute pulmonary embolism.J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2017; 44: 316-323
- Long-term mortality after massive, submassive, and low-risk pulmonary embolism.Vasc Med. 2020; 25: 141-149
- Atrial fibrillation in patients with acute pulmonary embolism: clinical significance and impact on prognosis.Biomed Res Int. 2019; 20197846291
- Survival benefit of obese patients with pulmonary embolism.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 1960-1973