- •Sleep apnea shares symptoms and risk factors with gastroesophageal reflux
- •A large cohort of patients with suspected sleep disturbances were screened
- •Non-obese sleep apnea patients are not at higher risk of having reflux symptoms
- •Nevertheless, daytime sleepiness correlated with gastroesophageal reflux
- •Gastroesophageal reflux should be ruled out in patients with bad sleep quality
Abbreviations:OSA (obstructive sleep apnea), GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), PPI (proton pump inhibitors), PKY (pack year), ESS (Epworth Sleepiness Scale), AHI (apnea-hypopnea index), GerdQ (gastroesophageal reflux disease questionnaire), GerdQsd (gastroesophageal reflux disease questionnaire sum score for sleep disturbance), MMDL (mean maximum decibel level), BMI (body mass index), NONS (non-OSA non-snorers)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- The occurrence of sleep disordered breathing among middle-aged adults.N Engl J Med. 1993; 328: 1230-1235https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199304293281704
- Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome and gastroesophageal reflux disease: the importance of obesity and gender.Sleep breath. 2015; 19: 585-592https://doi.org/10.1007/s11325-014-1051-4
- Effects of gastroesophageal reflux disease on sleep and outcomes.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009; 7: 953-959https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2009.04.005
- The effect of acid suppression on upper airway anatomy and obstruction in patients with sleep apnea and gastroesophageal reflux disease.J Clin Sleep Med. 2009; 15: 330-334https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.27543
- Marked improvement in nocturnal gastroesophageal reflux in a large cohort of patients with obstructive sleep apnea treated with continuous positive airway pressure.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 41-45https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.163.1.41
- A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: The Epworth Sleepiness Scale.Sleep. 1991; 14: 540-545https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/14.6.540
- Development of the GerdQ, a tool for the diagnosis and menagement of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease in primary care.Aliment Pharma Ther. 2009; 30: 1030-1036.https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2009.04142.x
Berry RB, Brooks R, Gamaldo CE, et al. The AASM manual for the scoring of sleep and associated events. Rules, Terminology and Technical specification, version 2.2. American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Darien, IL, 2015.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease and sleep disorders: evidence for a causal link and therapeutic implications.J. Neurogastroenterol Motl. 2010; 16: 22-29https://doi.org/10.5056/jnm.2010.16.1.22
- Obstructive sleep apnea and gastroesophageal reflux.Am J Med. 2000; 108: S120-S125https://doi.org/10.1016/s0002-9343(99)00350-2