- •NAIs comparing to placebo therapy did demonstrate to be effective in reducing time to clinical resolution, total influenza-related complications, otitis media, and antibiotic use.
- •NAIs increased the risk of nausea and vomiting, but reduced occurrence of diarrhea.
- •Reductions on mortality, pneumonia, bronchiolitis, asthma or hospitalization rates required further research.
Abbreviations:AE (Adverse Events), NAI (Neuraminidase Inhibitors), OR (Odd Ratio), RCT (Randomized Controlled Trials), SR (Systematic Review)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Influenza and other respiratory viruses: standardizing disease severity in surveillance and clinical trials.Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2017; 15: 545-568
- Intensive care adult patients with severe respiratory failure caused by Influenza A (H1N1)v in Spain.Crit Care. 2009; 13: R148
- Estimates of global seasonal influenza-associated respiratory mortality: a modelling study.Lancet. 2018; 391: 1285-1300
- Vaccines against influenza WHO position paper – November 2012.Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2012; 87: 461-476
- Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices-United States, 2018-19 Influenza Season.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2018; 67: 1-20
- Global update on the susceptibility of human influenza viruses to neuraminidase inhibitors, 2015-2016.Antiviral Res. 2017; 146: 12-20
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC). Public health use of influenza antivirals during influenza pandemics 2009.
- Clinical Practice Guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America: 2018 Update on Diagnosis, Treatment, Chemoprophylaxis, and Institutional Outbreak Management of Seasonal Influenzaa.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 68: 895-902
- Safety and effectiveness of neuraminidase inhibitors in situations of pandemic and/or novel/variant influenza: a systematic review of the literature, 2009-15.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2017; 72: 1556-1573
- Alternative Regimens of Neuraminidase Inhibitors for Therapy of Hospitalized Adults with Influenza: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials.Adv Ther. 2020;
- Safety and effectiveness of neuraminidase inhibitors for influenza treatment, prophylaxis, and outbreak control: a systematic review of systematic reviews and/or meta-analyses.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2017; 72: 2990-3007
- Effectiveness of neuraminidase inhibitors in reducing mortality in patients admitted to hospital with influenza A H1N1pdm09 virus infection: a meta-analysis of individual participant data.Lancet Respir Med. 2014; 2: 395-404
- Neuraminidase inhibitors for preventing and treating influenza in healthy adults: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2009; 339: b5106
- Effectiveness of oseltamivir in adults: a meta-analysis of published and unpublished clinical trials.Fam Pract. 2013; 30: 125-133
- Oseltamivir treatment for influenza in adults: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.Lancet. 2015; 385: 1729-1737
- Effectiveness and safety of neuraminidase inhibitors in reducing influenza complications: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010; 65: 1330-1346
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: e1-34
The Cochrane Collaboration. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1 [updated March 2011] n.d. http://www.cochrane-handbook.org (accessed June 21, 2019).
- Estimating the mean and variance from the median, range, and the size of a sample.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2005; 5: 13
- Effect of Oral Oseltamivir on Virological Outcomes in Low-risk Adults With Influenza: A Randomized Clinical Trial.Clin Infect Dis. 2019;
- Efficacy of oseltamivir treatment started within 5 days of symptom onset to reduce influenza illness duration and virus shedding in an urban setting in Bangladesh: a randomised placebo-controlled trial.Lancet Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 109-118
- A multicentre, randomized, controlled trial of oseltamivir in the treatment of influenza in a high-risk Chinese population.Curr Med Res Opin. 2006; 22: 75-82
- Efficacy and safety of oseltamivir in treatment of acute influenza: a randomised controlled trial. Neuraminidase Inhibitor Flu Treatment Investigator Group.Lancet. 2000; 355: 1845-1850
- Efficacy and safety of the oral neuraminidase inhibitor oseltamivir in treating acute influenza: a randomized controlled trial. US Oral Neuraminidase Study Group.JAMA. 2000; 283: 1016-1024
- Zanamivir: a significant reduction in viral load during treatment in military conscripts with influenza.Scand J Infect Dis. 2003; 35: 52-58
- Efficacy and Safety of Inhaled Zanamivir for the Treatment of Influenza in Patients with Asthma or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.Clin Drug Investig. 2000; 20: 337-349
- Clinical efficacy and safety of the orally inhaled neuraminidase inhibitor zanamivir in the treatment of influenza: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled European study.J Infect. 2000; 40: 42-48
- The MIST (Management of Influenza in the Southern Hemisphere Trialists) Study Group. Randomised trial of efficacy and safety of inhaled zanamivir in treatment of influenza A and B virus infections.Lancet. 1998; 352: 1877-1881
- Efficacy and safety of the neuraminidase inhibitor zanamivir in the treatment of influenzavirus infections. GG167 Influenza Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 874-880
- Single dose peramivir for the treatment of acute seasonal influenza: integrated analysis of efficacy and safety from two placebo-controlled trials.Antivir Ther (Lond). 2015; 20: 709-719
- S-021812 Clinical Study Group. Efficacy and safety of intravenous peramivir for treatment of seasonal influenza virus infection.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010; 54: 4568-4574
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial evaluating the safety of early oseltamivir treatment among children 0-9 years of age hospitalized with influenza in El Salvador and Panama.Antiviral Res. 2016; 133: 85-94
- Early oseltamivir treatment of influenza in children 1-3 years of age: a randomized controlled trial.Clin Infect Dis Off Publ Infect Dis Soc Am. 2010; 51: 887-894
- Oral oseltamivir improves pulmonary function and reduces exacerbation frequency for influenza-infected children with asthma.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005; 24: 225-232
- Oral oseltamivir treatment of influenza in children.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2001; 20: 127-133
- Zanamivir for treatment of symptomatic influenza A and B infection in children five to twelve years of age: a randomized controlled trial.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2000; 19: 410-417
- Evaluation of intravenous peramivir for treatment of influenza in hospitalized patients.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: e172-e185
- Safety and efficacy of peramivir for influenza treatment.Drug Des Devel Ther. 2014; 8: 2017-2038
- Comparison of Efficacy of Intravenous Peramivir and Oral Oseltamivir for the Treatment of Influenza: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.Yonsei Med J. 2017; 58: 778-785
- Zanamivir for influenza in adults and children: systematic review of clinical study reports and summary of regulatory comments.BMJ. 2014; 348: g2547
- Zanamivir for the treatment of influenza A and B infection in high-risk patients: a pooled analysis of randomized controlled trials.Arch Intern Med. 2001; 161: 212-217