- •Rabies is a neglected tropical disease with a significant mortality burden.
- •Vaccination campaigns in wildlife animals achieved the control of rabies in Europe.
- •Rabies cases are still reported in Europe as imported cases.
- •Clinical suspicion is crucial to reach a diagnosis also in atypical manifestations.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Correction to: estimating the global burden of endemic canine rabies (PLoS Negl Trop Dis, 9, 5).PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015; : 9https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0003786
- Rabies, still neglected after 125 years of vaccination.PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010; 4https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0000839
Rabies n.d. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/rabies (accessed November 7, 2020).
- Evidence of two lyssavirus phylogroups with distinct pathogenicity and immunogenicity.J Virol. 2001; 75: 3268-3276https://doi.org/10.1128/jvi.75.7.3268-3276.2001
- Epidemiological and clinical features of human rabies cases in Bali 2008-2010.BMC Infect Dis. 2012; 12https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2334-12-81
- Clinical features of dog- and bat-acquired rabies in humans.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 57: 689-696https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cit372
- Antemortem diagnosis and prevention of human rabies.Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2008; 11: 3-12https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-2327.40219
- Trends and clinico-epidemiological features of human rabies cases in Bangladesh 2006–2018.Sci Rep. 2020; 10https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-59109-w
- Human rabies: clinical aspects, pathogenesis, and potential therapy.Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 1994; 187: 121-143https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-78490-3_7
- Difference in neuropathogenetic mechanisms in human furious and paralytic rabies.J Neurol Sci. 2005; 238: 3-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2005.05.004
- Rabies.N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 1632-1638https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199311253292208
- Human rabies: A disease of complex neuropathogenetic mechanisms and diagnostic challenges.Lancet Neurol. 2002; 1: 101-109https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(02)00041-8
Infectious Diseases of the Nervous System - 1st Edition n.d. https://www.elsevier.com/books/infectious-diseases-of-the-nervous-system/davis/978 -0-7506-4213-2 (accessed November 7, 2020).
- Epidemiology of human rabies in the United States, 1980 to 1996.Ann Intern Med. 1998; 128: 922-930https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-128-11-199806010-00012
- Child survivor of rabies in India: a case report.Paediatr Int Child Health. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1080/20469047.2020.1785198
- Survival from rabies encephalitis.J Neurol Sci. 2014; 339: 8-14https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2014.02.013
- The rabies situation in Western Europe.Dev Biol. 2008; 131: 19-25https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.233.6.884
- Rabies control in Europe: an overview of past, current and future strategies.Rev Sci Tech. 2018; 37: 409-419https://doi.org/10.20506/rst.37.2.2811
- Animal-associated exposure to rabies virus among travelers, 1997–2012.Emerg Infect Dis. 2015; 21: 569-577https://doi.org/10.3201/eid2104.141479
- The spread and evolution of rabies virus: conquering new frontiers HHS Public Access.Nat Rev Microbiol. 2018; 16: 241-255https://doi.org/10.1038/nrmicro.2018.11
- Rabies virus diversification in aerial and terrestrial mammals.Genet Mol Biol. 2020; 43: 1-12https://doi.org/10.1590/1678-4685-GMB-2019-0370
- Local rabies transmission and regional spatial coupling in European foxes.PLoS One. 2020; 15https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0220592
- Historical analysis of epizootiological situation of rabies on the territory of the Slovak Republic.Acta Virol. 2020; 64: 216-225https://doi.org/10.4149/av_2020_211
- The rabies situation in Eastern Europe.Dev. Biol. (Basel). 2008; 131 (Dev Biol (Basel)): 27-35
- Serological survey of lyssaviruses in polish bats in the frame of passive rabies surveillance using an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.Viruses. 2020; 12https://doi.org/10.3390/v12030271
General Information | Rabies - Bulletin - Europe n.d. https://www.who-rabies-bulletin.org/site-page/general-information (accessed March 9, 2021).
- Detection of rabies antibodies in wild boars in north-east Romania by a rabies ELISA test.BMC Vet Res. 2019; 15https://doi.org/10.1186/s12917-019-2209-x
- Rabies necropsy techniques in large and small animals.J Vis Exp. 2019; https://doi.org/10.3791/59574
- Rabies virus transmission via solid organs or tissue allotransplantation.Infect Dis Poverty. 2018; 7https://doi.org/10.1186/s40249-018-0467-7
- Rabies transmission by nonbite route.Public Health Rep. 1962; 77: 287-289https://doi.org/10.2307/4591470
- Management and outcomes after multiple corneal and solid organ transplantations from a donor infected with rabies virus.Clin Infect Dis. 2010; 50: 1112-1119https://doi.org/10.1086/651267
- Arctic fox rabies.in: Baer GM The natural history of rabies. CRC Press Boca Rant, 1991: 291-306
- Rhabdoviruses: Rabies Virus.University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, 1996
- Epidemiology of rabies cases among international travellers, 2013–2019: A retrospective analysis of published reports.Travel Med Infect Dis. 2020; 36https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmaid.2020.101766
- Raccoon rabies virus variant transmission through solid organ transplantation.JAMA - J Am Med Assoc. 2013; 310: 398-407https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.7986
- Transmission of rabies virus from an organ donor to four transplant recipients.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1103-1111https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa043018
Reported number of human rabies deaths n.d. https://www.who.int/data/gho/data/indicators/indicator-details/GHO/reported-number-of-human-rabies-deaths (accessed October 4, 2020).
Rabies - Annual Epidemiological Report 2016 [2014 data] n.d. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/rabies-annual-epidemiological-report -2016-2014-data (accessed October 4, 2020).
- Epidemiology of human rabies in South Africa, 2008 - 2018.S Afr Med J. 2020; 110: 877-881https://doi.org/10.7196/SAMJ.2020.v110i9.14324
- Modern biologics for rabies prophylaxis and the elimination of human cases mediated by dogs.Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1080/14712598.2020.1766021
- Risk factors for rabies in Côte d'Ivoire.Acta Trop. 2020; 212105711https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2020.105711
- Post-travel consultations in a Regional Hub city hospital, Japan.Intern Med. 2016; 55: 739-743https://doi.org/10.2169/internalmedicine.55.5823
- Imported human rabies cases worldwide, 1990-2012.PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013; 7https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0002209
WHO | World Health Organization n.d. https://apps.who.int/neglected_diseases/ntddata/rabies/rabies.html (accessed October 4, 2020).
- One-year descriptive analysis of patients treated at an anti-rabies clinic—a retrospective study from Kashmir.PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2020; 14: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0007477
- Re-emergence of animal rabies in northern Greece and subsequent human exposure, October 2012 - March 2013.Eurosurveillance. 2013; 18: 20474https://doi.org/10.2807/ese.18.18.20474-en
- 2008-2011 sylvatic rabies epidemic in Italy: Challenges and experiences.Pathog Glob Health. 2013; 107: 346-353https://doi.org/10.1179/2047772413Z.000000000175
- Rabies in North America and Europe.J R Soc Med. 2002; 95: 9-13https://doi.org/10.1258/jrsm.95.1.9
- Rabies exposure in travellers to Asia, the Middle East, Africa, South and Central America—a German Airport study.J Travel Med. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1093/jtm/taaa058
- Evaluation of a direct rapid immunohistochemical test (dRIT) for rapid diagnosis of rabies in animals and humans.Virol Sin. 2012; 27: 299-302https://doi.org/10.1007/s12250-012-3265-6
- Human rabies: neuropathogenesis, diagnosis, and management.Lancet Neurol. 2013; 12: 498-513https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(13)70038-3
CDC - Diagnosis: in animals and humans - Rabies n.d. https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/diagnosis/animals-humans.html (accessed November 7, 2020).
Negri Bodies - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics n.d. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/immunology-and-microbiology/negri-bodies (accessed March 7, 2021).
- Tick-borne encephalitis in Europe: a brief update on epidemiology, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment.Eur J Intern Med. 2019; 62https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2019.01.004
- Imaging findings in rabies encephalitis.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2001; 22: 677-680https://doi.org/10.1007/s13311-016-0452-4
- MR imaging in human rabies.Am J Neuroradiol. 2003; 24: 1102-1109https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2005.05.004
- Neuroimaging in Rabies.Adv Virus Res. 2011; 79https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-387040-7.00014-7
- Rabies: current preventive strategies.Vet Clin North Am - Small Anim Pract. 2019; 49: 629-641https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cvsm.2019.02.014
- | Zero by 30: the global strategic plan to end human deaths from dog-mediated rabies by 2030.WHO, 2019
- WHO guide for rabies pre and post exposure prophylaxis in humans.2014
- Rabies vaccines and immunoglobulins: WHO position.April 2018 (n.d)
- The “milwaukee Protocol” for treatment of human rabies is no longer valid.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2015; 34: 678-679https://doi.org/10.1097/INF.0000000000000641
- The prevention and management of Rabies.BMJ. 2015; 350https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g7827
- Challenges of Rabies.Int J Basic Appl Virol. 2015; 4: 41-52https://doi.org/10.5829/idosi.ijbav.2015.4.2.95113
- Rabies in travelers.Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2014; 16https://doi.org/10.1007/s11908-014-0394-0
(No Title) n.d. https://www.fda.gov/media/106795/download (accessed November 7, 2020).
First and Only US Pediatric human rabies Immune globulin Trial | Plasma-Derived Medicinal Products | Keep Life Flowing | Kedrion.com n.d. https://www.kedrion.com/first-and-only-us-pediatric-human-rabies-immune-globulin-trial (accessed November 7, 2020).