- •Severe OSAS is associated with increased comorbid burden and all-cause mortality.
- •The prognostic role of comorbidity remains poorly defined.
- •Age and comorbidity are crucial contributors to increased mortality in severe OSAS.
- •Clustering of comorbidities allows identify clinically meaningful phenotypes
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Epidemiology of sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndrome and sleep-disordered breathing.Eur Respir J. 2009; 33: 907-914
- The effect of sex and age on the comorbidity burden of OSA: an observational analysis from a large nationwide US health claims database.Eur Respir J. 2016; 47: 1162-1169
- Estimation of the global prevalence and burden of obstructive sleep apnoea: a literature-based analysis.Lancet Respir Med. 2019; 7: 687-698
Armeni P., Borsoi L., Costa F., Donin G., Gupta A. Cost-of-illness study of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome (OSAS) in Italy. Università Bocconi. CERGAS-Centro di Ricerche dell'Assistenza Sanitaria e Sociale 2019. Available at: https://www.cergas.unibocconi.eu/wps/wcm/connect/ad0ba356-ea26-455d-b098-b66c60ef5011/Cost-of-illness+study+of+Obstructive+Sleep+Apnea+Syndrome+%28OSAS%29+in+Italy_Report%281%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=mMZQH7r.
- Clinical practice guideline for diagnostic testing for adult obstructive sleep apnea: an American academy of sleep medicine clinical practice guideline.J Clin Sleep Med. 2017; 13: 479-504
- Obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2015; 1: 15015https://doi.org/10.1038/nrdp.2015.15
- Treatment of adult obstructive sleep apnea with positive airway pressure: an American academy of sleep medicine systematic review, meta-analysis, and GRADE assessment.J Clin Sleep Med. 2019; 15: 301-334
- Association of obstructive sleep apnoea with the risk of vascular outcomes and all-cause mortality: a meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e013983https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013983
- Is obstructive sleep apnea associated with cardiovascular and all-cause mortality?.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e69432https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0069432
- Obstructive sleep apnea and comorbidities: a dangerous liaison.Multidiscip Respir Med. 2019; 14: 8https://doi.org/10.1186/s40248-019-0172-9
- Prevalence and comorbidity of sleep conditions in Australian adults: 2016 Sleep Health Foundation national survey.Sleep Health. 2018; 4: 13-19
- Comorbidities and risk of mortality in patients with sleep apnea.Ann Med. 2017; 49: 377-383
- Long term management of obstructive sleep apnea and its comorbidities.Multidiscip Respir Med. 2019; 14: 21https://doi.org/10.1186/s40248-019-0186-3
- Classification and diagnosis of diabetes: standards of medical care in diabetes—2019.Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: S13-S28
Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (2020 Report). Available at https://goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/GOLD-2020-REPORT-ver1.0wms.pdf.
- KDIGO 2012 clinical practice guideline for the evaluation and management of chronic kidney disease.Kidney Int Suppl. 2013; 3: 1-150
- Comparing survival of a sample to that of a standard population.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003; 95: 1434-1439
- All-cause mortality in males with sleep apnoea syndrome: declining mortality rates with age.Eur Respir J. 2005; 25: 514-520
- Sleep-disordered breathing and mortality: a prospective cohort study.PLoS Med. 2009; 6e1000132https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000132
- Sex differences in lifespan.Cell Metab. 2016; 23: 1022-1033
- Obesity paradox does exist.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: S276-5281
- The single use of body mass index for the obesity paradox is misleading and should be used in conjunction with other obesity indices.Postgrad Med. 2019; 131 (Mar): 96-102
- Obesity or BMI paradox? beneath the tip of the iceberg.Front Nutr. 2020; (May 7;7): 53https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2020.00053
- Causes of death collaborators. Global, regional, and national age-sex specific mortality for 264 causes of death, 1980-2016: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2016.Lancet. 2016; 2017: 1151-1210
- Chronic kidney disease collaboration. Global, regional, and national burden of chronic kidney disease, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2017.Lancet. 2020; 395: 709-733
- Obstructive sleep apnea: implications for cardiac and vascular disease.JAMA. 2003; 290: 1906-1914
- Sympathetic activation in chronic renal failure.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20: 933-939
- INCOSACT initiative (international collaboration of sleep apnea cardiovascular trialists). sleep apnea and cardiovascular disease: lessons from recent trials and need for team science.Circulation. 2017; 136: 1840-1850
- Obstructive sleep apnea exacerbates airway inflammation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Sleep Med. 2015; 16: 1123-1130
- Nocturnal continuous positive airway pressure decreases daytime sympathetic traffic in obstructive sleep apnea.Circulation. 1999; 100: 2332-2335
- Sleep apnea and cardiovascular disease: a bidirectional relationship.Circulation. 2012; 126: 1495-1510
- Sleep apnea: types, mechanisms, and clinical cardiovascular consequences.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 841-858
- Efficacy of continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) in the prevention of cardiovascular events in patients with obstructive sleep apnea: Systematic review and meta-analysis.Sleep Med Rev. 2020; 52101312https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2020.101312
- Effect of obstructive sleep apnoea and its treatment with continuous positive airway pressure on the prevalence of cardiovascular events in patients with acute coronary syndrome (ISAACC study): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 359-367
- CPAP for prevention of cardiovascular events in obstructive sleep apnea.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 919-931
- A meta-analysis of continuous positive airway pressure therapy in prevention of cardiovascular events in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea.Eur Heart J. 2018; 39: 2291-2297
- Effect of positive airway pressure on cardiovascular outcomes in coronary artery disease patients with nonsleepy obstructive sleep apnea. The RICCADSA randomized controlled trial.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016; 194: 613-620
- Adaptive servo-ventilation for central sleep apnea in systolic heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1095-1110
- High Prevalence of chronic kidney disease among patients with sleep related breathing disorder (SRBD).Hypertens Res. 2008; 31: 249-255
- Polysomnographic phenotyping of obstructive sleep apnea and its implications in mortality in.Korea. Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 13207https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-70039-5
- High risk characteristics for recurrent cardiovascular events among patients with obstructive sleep apnoea in the SAVE study.EClinicalMedicine. 2018; 2-3: 59-65https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eclinm.2018.09.002
- Obstructive sleep apnoea: latest surgical advances and considerations during the COVID-19 pandemic.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: e98https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(20)30464-1
- Impact of the novel coronavirus disease on treatment adherence and sleep duration in patients with obstructive sleep apnea treated with positive airway pressure.J Clin Sleep Med. 2020; 16: 1917-1920
- Obstructive sleep apnea and risk of COVID-19 infection, hospitalization and respiratory failure.Sleep Breath. 2020; : 1-3https://doi.org/10.1007/s11325-020-02203-0
- Effect of high-risk obstructive sleep apnea on clinical outcomes in adults with coronavirus disease 2019: a multicenter, prospective, observational cohort study.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.202011-1409OC
- Mortality and morbidity in obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea syndrome: results from a 30-year prospective cohort study.ERJ Open Res. 2020; 6 (00057-2020)https://doi.org/10.1183/23120541.00057-2020