- •Physical activity and exercise help with loss in weight, body fat and visceral fat.
- •The effect on weight loss as outcome is relatively modest (a few kg).
- •Improvement in fitness (aerobic capacity, muscle strength) is important for health.
- •Prescription will depend on goals tailored for each patient to make progress.
- •Solutions should be proposed to patients to overcome barriers to physical activity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Tackling obesities: future choices - Project report.2nd ed. 2007 ([cited 2020 Oct 29].Available from)
- Physical activity, exercise, and physical fitness: definitions and distinctions for health-related research.Public Health Rep. Apr 1985; 100: 126-131
- Accelerometer profiles of physical activity and inactivity in normal weight, overweight, and obese U.S. men and women.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2010; 7: 60
- Adiposity and grip strength as long-term predictors of objectively measured physical activity in 93 015 adults: the UK Biobank study.Int J Obes. 2017; 41: 1361-1368
- The cross-sectional associations between objectively measured sedentary time and cardiometabolic health markers in adults - a systematic review with meta-analysis component.Obes Rev. 2018; 19: 381-395
- Which is more important for cardiometabolic health: sedentary time, higher intensity physical activity or cardiorespiratory fitness? the Maastricht study.Diabetologia. 2018; 61: 2561-2569
- Evaluation of cardiorespiratory fitness and respiratory muscle function in the obese population.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2014; 56: 457-464
- Reference values for the 6-min walking test in obese subjects.Disabil Rehabil. 2013; 35: 1199-1203
- Potential contributions of skeletal muscle contractile dysfunction to altered biomechanics in obesity.Gait Posture. 2017; 56: 100-107
- Study of differences in peripheral muscle strength of lean versus obese women: an allometric approach.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. May 2001; 25: 676-681
- The relationship between different body mass index categories and chair rise performance in adult women.J Appl Biomech. Dec 2013; 29: 705-711
- The influence of age, sex and body mass index on the effectiveness of brisk walking for obesity management in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Phys Act Health. 2017; 14: 389-407
- Effects of dietary and exercise intervention on weight loss and body composition in obese postmenopausal women: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Menopause. 2018; 25: 772-782
- The influence of high-intensity interval training on anthropometric variables of adults with overweight or obesity: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2019; 20: 142-155
- The effect of exercise on visceral adipose tissue in overweight adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PloS One. 2013; 8: e56415
- The role of exercise and physical activity in weight loss and maintenance.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2014; 56: 441-447
- Does the method of weight loss effect long-term changes in weight, body composition or chronic disease risk factors in overweight or obese adults? A systematic review.PLoS One. 2014; 9e109849
- American college of sports medicine position stand. appropriate physical activity intervention strategies for weight loss and prevention of weight regain for adults.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009; 41: 459-471
- Constrained total energy expenditure and metabolic adaptation to physical activity in adult humans.Curr Biol. 2016; 26: 410-417
- Dietary protein and exercise have additive effects on body composition during weight loss in adult women.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 1903-1910
- Resistance training prevents muscle loss induced by caloric restriction in obese elderly individuals: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Nutrients. 2018; 10
- Effect of exercise on 24-month weight loss maintenance in overweight women.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 1550-1559
- How much physical activity is enough to prevent unhealthy weight gain? Outcome of the IASO 1st Stock Conference and consensus statement.Obes Rev. 2003; 4: 101-114
- Effects of anti-obesity drugs, diet, and exercise on weight-loss maintenance after a very-low-calorie diet or low-calorie diet: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 14-23
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 1343-1350
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 393-403
- 10-year follow-up of diabetes incidence and weight loss in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1677-1686
- Effect of weight loss with lifestyle intervention on risk of diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 2102-2107
- Physical activity advice only or structured exercise training and association with HbA1c levels in type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1790-1799
- Breaking sitting with light activities vs structured exercise: a randomised crossover study demonstrating benefits for glycaemic control and insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetes.Diabetologia. 2017; 60: 490-498
- Effects of weight loss on lean mass, strength, bone, and aerobic capacity.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016; 49: 206-217
- Physical fitness and all-cause mortality. A prospective study of healthy men and women.JAMA. 1989; 262: 2395-2401
- Fitness vs. fatness on all-cause mortality: a meta-analysis.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2014; 56: 382-390
- Increased consumption of dairy foods and protein during diet- and exercise-induced weight loss promotes fat mass loss and lean mass gain in overweight and obese premenopausal women.J Nutr. 2011; 141: 1626-1634
- Effectiveness of exercise training after bariatric surgery—a systematic literature review and meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2018; 19: 1544-1556
- Resistance training and protein supplementation increase strength after bariatric surgery: a randomized controlled trial.Obes Silver Spring. 2018; 26: 1709-1720
PAGAC. Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Comittee Report. Washington, DC : US Department of Health and Human Services. 2018.
- Leisure time physical activity of moderate to vigorous intensity and mortality: a large pooled cohort analysis.PLoS Med. 2012; 9e1001335
- Global recommendations on physical activity for health.Geneva: World Health Organization, 2010
- 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and The Obesity Society.Circulation. 2014; 129: S102-S138
- The 5 as framework for obesity management: do we need a more intricate model?.Can Fam Physician Med Fam Can. 2017; 63: 506-508
- Effects of different doses of physical activity on cardiorespiratory fitness among sedentary, overweight or obese postmenopausal women with elevated blood pressure: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2007; 297: 2081-2091
- General practice physical activity questionnaire (GPPAQ) [Internet].GOVUK, 2020 Oct 29 ([cited]. Available from)
- Evaluation of reliability and validity of the General Practice Physical Activity Questionnaire (GPPAQ) in 60-74 year old primary care patients.BMC Fam Pract. 2015; 16: 113
- Exercise standards for testing and training: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2013; 128: 873-934
- Therapeutic exercise.Med Clin North Am. 2020; 104: 189-198
- The mysterious case of the public health guideline that is (almost) entirely ignored: call for a research agenda on the causes of the extreme avoidance of physical activity in obesity.Obes Rev. 2016; 17: 313-329
- Geographic determinants of healthy lifestyle change in a community-based exercise prescription delivered in family practice.Environ Health Insights. 2008; 1: 51-62
Special Issue on Obesity - Guest Editors Profs D. Dicker and L. Busetto