- •New drugs have proved to further improve long-term outcomes in patients with HFrEF.
- •A proposal for combing these new drugs in clinical practice is provided.
- •Frequent clinical evaluation in the first phases of disease is advisable to attain optimal therapy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC)Developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC.Eur Heart J. 2016 Jul 14; 37: 2129-2200
- How Should We Sequence the Treatments for Heart Failure and a Reduced Ejection Fraction? A Redefinition of Evidence-Based Medicine.Circulation. 2020 Dec 30; (CIRCULATIONAHA.120.052926)
- Update to the 2017 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway for Optimization of Heart Failure Treatment: Answers to 10 Pivotal Issues About Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2021; (S0735109720378670)
- Angiotensin–Neprilysin Inhibition versus Enalapril in Heart Failure.N Engl J Med. 2014 Sep 11; 371: 993-1004
- Association of Change in N-Terminal Pro–B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Following Initiation of Sacubitril-Valsartan Treatment With Cardiac Structure and Function in Patients With Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction.JAMA. 2019 Sep 17; 322: 1085
- Hyperkalemia in heart failure.Curr Opin Cardiol. 2020; 35: 150-155
- Angiotensin–Neprilysin Inhibition in Acute Decompensated Heart Failure.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 539-548
- Initiation of sacubitril/valsartan in haemodynamically stabilised heart failure patients in hospital or early after discharge: primary results of the randomised TRANSITION study.Eur J Heart Fail. 2019; 21: 998-1007
- Impact of systolic blood pressure on the safety and tolerability of initiating and up-titrating sacubitril/valsartan in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction: insights from the TITRATION study: Safety of sacubitril/valsartan in HFrEF.Eur J Heart Fail. 2018; 20: 491-500
- Sacubitril/valsartan and sudden cardiac death according to implantable cardioverter-defibrillator use and heart failure cause.JACC Heart Fail. 2020; 8: 844-855
- Dapagliflozin in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1995-2008
- Cardiovascular and renal outcomes with empagliflozin in heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1413-1424
- Mechanisms of Cardiovascular Benefits of Sodium Glucose Co-Transporter 2 (SGLT2) Inhibitors.JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2020; 5: 632-644
- Sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitor therapy: mechanisms of action in heart failure.Heart. 2021; (heartjnl-2020-318060)
- Sodium glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors: mechanisms of action in heart failure.Heart Fail Rev. 2021; 26: 603-622
- FDA approves new treatment for a type of heart failure.FDA, 2020 ([Internet] Available from:)
- SGLT2 inhibitors in patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: a meta-analysis of the EMPEROR-Reduced and DAPA-HF trials.The Lancet. 2020; 396: 819-829
- Two Tales: One Story: EMPEROR-Reduced and DAPA-HF.Circulation. 2020; 142: 2201-2204
- Effects of dapagliflozin in DAPA-HF according to background heart failure therapy.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 2379-2392
- Estimating lifetime benefits of comprehensive disease-modifying pharmacological therapies in patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: a comparative analysis of three randomised controlled trials.The Lancet. 2020; 396: 121-128
- Sotagliflozin in patients with diabetes and recent worsening heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 117-128
- Sodium–Glucose Co-transporter 2 inhibitors in heart failure: recent data and implications for practice.Card Fail Rev. 2020; 6: e31
- Vericiguat in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 1883-1893
- Cardiac calcitropes, myotropes, and mitotropes.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 73: 2345-2353
- Cardiac Myosin Activation with Omecamtiv Mecarbil in Systolic Heart Failure.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 105-116
- Comparing the benefit of novel therapies across clinical trials: insights from the victoria trial.Circulation. 2020; 142: 717-719
- Similar clinical benefits from below-target and target dose enalapril in patients with heart failure in the SOLVD Treatment trial: Below-target vs. target doses of enalapril and outcomes in heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2018; 20: 359-369
- Efficacy of sacubitril/valsartan vs. enalapril at lower than target doses in heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: the PARADIGM-HF trial.Eur J Heart Fail. 2016; 18: 1228-1234
- Renal protection: a leading mechanism for cardiovascular benefit in patients treated with SGLT2 inhibitors.Heart Fail Rev. 2021; 26: 337-345