- •eGFR, anemia, sarcopenia, cognitive and functional status may affect prognosis.
- •Survival tree revealed relevant prognostic interactions among these risk factors.
- •Multidimensional assessment should be part of routine care for older patients.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Epidemiology of chronic kidney disease and anemia.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2006; 7 (quiz S17-21): S3-S6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2006.09.004
- Low hemoglobin concentrations are associated with sarcopenia, physical performance, and disability in older australian men in cross-sectional and longitudinal analysis: the concord health and ageing in men project.J Gerontol Ser A. 2016; 71: 1667-1675https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glw055
- Sarcopenia in CKD: a roadmap from basic pathogenetic mechanisms to clinical trials.Clin Kidney J. 2019; 12: 110-112https://doi.org/10.1093/ckj/sfz001
- Chronic kidney disease and cognitive impairment.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis Off J Natl Stroke Assoc. 2020; 105529https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2020.105529
- Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 1296-1305https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa041031
- Chronic kidney disease and 1-year survival in elderly patients discharged from acute care hospitals: a comparison of three glomerular filtration rate equations.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011; 26 (Official publication of the European Dialysis and transplant association - European renal association): 360-364https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfq618
- Sarcopenia in chronic kidney disease on conservative therapy: prevalence and association with mortality.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 30. 2015: 1718-1725https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfv133 (Official publication of the European dialysis and transplant association-European renal association)
- Cognitive function and 3-year mortality in the very elderly Chinese population with chronic kidney disease.Clin Interv Aging. 2018; 13: 2055-2060https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S173696
- Severity of anemia predicts hospital length of stay but not readmission in patients with chronic kidney disease: a retrospective cohort study.Medicine. 2015; 94: e964https://doi.org/10.1097/md.0000000000000964
- Sarcopenia index based on serum creatinine and cystatin C is associated with 3-year mortality in hospitalized older patients.Sci. Rep. 2020; 10: 1260https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-58304-z
- Disentangling the impact of chronic kidney disease, anemia, and mobility limitation on mortality in older patients discharged from hospital.J Gerontol Ser A. 2015; 70: 1120-1127https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glv068
M. Di Rosa, S. D'Alia, F. Guarasci, L. Soraci, E. Pierpaoli, F. Lenci, et al. Cognitive impairment, chronic kidney disease, and 1-year mortality in older patients discharged from acute care hospital. 2020;9:2202.
- Sarcopenia in chronic kidney disease: what have we learned so far?.J Nephrol. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1007/s40620-020-00840-y
- Mechanisms of muscle wasting in chronic kidney disease.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2014; 10: 504-516https://doi.org/10.1038/nrneph.2014.112
- Bone is not alone: the effects of skeletal muscle dysfunction in chronic kidney disease.Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2015; 13: 173-179https://doi.org/10.1007/s11914-015-0261-4
- Sarcopenia and cognitive impairment: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Nutr. 2020; 39: 2695-2701https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2019.12.014
- Functional impairment is associated with an increased risk of mortality in patients on chronic hemodialysis.BMC Nephrology. 2016; 17: 72https://doi.org/10.1186/s12882-016-0302-y
- Iron balance and the role of hepcidin in chronic kidney disease.Semin Nephrol. 2016; 36: 87-93https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semnephrol.2016.02.001
- Association of chronic kidney disease and anemia with physical capacity: the heart and soul study.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004; 15: 2908-2915https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ASN.0000143743.78092.E3
- Low hemoglobin concentrations are associated with sarcopenia, physical performance, and disability in older australian men in cross-sectional and longitudinal analysis: the concord health and ageing in men project.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016; 71: 1667-1675https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glw055
- Effects of exercise training on red blood cell production: implications for anemia.Acta Haematol. 2012; 127: 156-164https://doi.org/10.1159/000335620
- Exercise and sarcopenia.J Clin Densitom. 2015; 18: 488-492https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocd.2015.04.011
- All-cause 1-, 5-, and 10-year mortality in elderly people according to activities of daily living stage.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 485-492https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03867.x
- Prevalence and clinical correlates of sarcopenia, identified according to the EWGSOP definition and diagnostic algorithm, in hospitalized older people: the GLISTEN study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017; 72: 1575-1581https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glw343
- Sarcopenia: revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 16-31https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afy169
- Measurement and interpretation of handgrip strength for research on sarcopenia and osteoporosis.J Bone Metab. 2020; 27: 85-96https://doi.org/10.11005/jbm.2020.27.2.85
- Portable mental status questionnaire for the assessment of organic brain deficit in elderly patients†.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1975; 23: 433-441https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1975.tb00927.x
- Two novel equations to estimate kidney function in persons aged 70 years or older.Annal Intern Med. 2012; 157: 471-481https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-157-7-201210020-00003
- Adapting a clinical comorbidity index for use with ICD-9-CM administrative databases.J Clin Epidemiol. 1992; 45: 613-619https://doi.org/10.1016/0895-4356(92)90133-8
- Relative risk trees for censored survival data.Biometrics. 1992; 48: 411-425
- Dementia and cognitive impairment in ESRD: diagnostic and therapeutic strategies.Kidney Int. 2011; 79: 14-22https://doi.org/10.1038/ki.2010.336
- Cognitive impairment in chronic kidney disease: keep vascular disease in mind.Kidney Int. 2014; 85: 505-507https://doi.org/10.1038/ki.2013.437
- Anemia and clinical outcomes in patients with non-dialysis dependent or dialysis dependent severe chronic kidney disease: a Danish population-based study.J Nephrol. 2020; 33: 147-156https://doi.org/10.1007/s40620-019-00652-9
- Reduced kidney function and anemia as risk factors for mortality in patients with left ventricular dysfunction.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001; 38: 955-962https://doi.org/10.1016/s0735-1097(01)01470-x
- Renal function and anaemia in acute myocardial infarction.Int J Cardiol. 2013; 168: 1397-1401https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2012.12.017
- Estimating the prevalence of muscle wasting, weakness, and sarcopenia in hemodialysis patients.J Ren Nutr. 2020; 30: 313-321https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jrn.2019.09.004
- Comparing EWGSOP2 and FNIH sarcopenia definitions: agreement and 3-year survival prognostic value in older hospitalized adults: the GLISTEN study.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2020; 75: 1331-1337https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/glz249
- Low creatinine potentially overestimates glomerular filtration rate in older fracture patients: a plea for an extensive use of cystatin C?.Eur J Intern Med. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2020.06.016
- Novel filtration markers as predictors of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in US adults.Am J Kidney Dis. 2013; 62: 42-51https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2013.01.016
- Kidney function and mortality in octogenarians: cardiovascular health study all stars.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 1201-1207https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2012.04046.x
- Chronic kidney disease and 1-year survival in elderly patients discharged from acute care hospitals: a comparison of three glomerular filtration rate equations.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011; 26: 360-364https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfq618