- •The importance of non-pharmaceutical treatment modalities in addition to medical treatment is increasingly recognized in recent years. Importantly, non-pharmaceutical treatment modalities are already recommended in various treatment guidelines in spondyloarthritis for many years.So far MRCT has shown to be effective in treating spondylarthritis (SpA) in a retrospective study
- •Multimodal rheumatologic complex treatment (MRCT) is a treatment modality, which is established in the German health system, but due to its multidisciplinary approach and an emphasis on non-pharmaceutical treatments an important blueprint for similar approaches that exist in various countries.
- •Carefully conducted studies on this topic are rare, but are very important to guide health management strategies and future treatment recommendations.
- •This study aimed to assess effects prospectively sponsoring a follow-up period of 12 weeks after MRCT to assess long-term effects
- •MRCT reduces pain in patient with SpA significantly and in a clinical meaningful manner and allows for a reduced use of analgesics with detectable positive effects 12 weeks after discontinued therapy
- •The study provides new data on an important topic on disease management which is underrepresented in the current scientific literature.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- The development of Assessment of SpondyloArthritis international Society classification criteria for axial spondyloarthritis (part II): validation and final selection.Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 777-783https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.2009.108233
- The Assessment of SpondyloArthritis international Society classification criteria for peripheral spondyloarthritis and for spondyloarthritis in general.Ann Rheum Dis. 2011; 70: 25-31https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.2010.133645
- EULAR recommendations for the management of psoriatic arthritis with pharmacological therapies: 2019 update.Ann Rheum Dis. 2020; 79: 700-712https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2020-217159
- Treating axial spondyloarthritis and peripheral spondyloarthritis, especially psoriatic arthritis, to target: 2017 update of recommendations by an international task force.Ann Rheum Dis. 2018; 77: 3-17https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2017-211734
- Development of ASAS quality standards to improve the quality of health and care services for patients with axial spondyloarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2020; 79: 193-201https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2019-216034
- Efficacy and safety of non-pharmacological and non-biological pharmacological treatment: a systematic literature review informing the 2016 update of the ASAS/EULAR recommendations for the management of axial spondyloarthritis.RMD Open. 2017; 3e000397https://doi.org/10.1136/rmdopen-2016-000397
- Assessing the effect of interventions for axial spondyloarthritis according to the endorsed ASAS/OMERACT core outcome set: a meta-research study of trials included in Cochrane reviews.Arthritis Res Ther. 2020; 22: 177https://doi.org/10.1186/s13075-020-02262-4
- 2016 update of the ASAS-EULAR management recommendations for axial spondyloarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2017; 76: 978-991https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2016-210770
- Efficacy of intensive physiotherapy in combination with low-dose etanercept in active spondyloarthritis: A monocentric pilot study.J. Rheumatol. 2014; 41: 1897-1898
- EULAR recommendations for the health professional's approach to pain management in inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2018; 77: 797-807https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2017-212662
- Rheumatic diseases and molecular physical medicine – new aspects.Phys Medizin Rehabil Kurortmedizin. 2017; 27: 205-210https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0043-113045
- Serial locally applied water-filtered infrared a radiation in axial spondyloarthritis – a randomized controlled trial.Int J Hyperth. 2020; 37: 965-970https://doi.org/10.1080/02656736.2020.1804079
- Complex and multimodal rheumatologic treatment (OPS 8-983) – challenges, solutions and perspectives.Z. Rheumatol. 2005; 64: 557-563
- Complex treatments in rheumatology and geriatrics – Challenges – Differences – Chances.Z Rheumatol. 2018; 77: 385-396https://doi.org/10.1007/s00393-018-0470-1
- Evaluation of a special concept of physical therapy in spondyloarthritis: German multimodal rheumatologic complex treatment for spondyloarthritis.Clin Rheumatol. 2020; 39: 1513-1520https://doi.org/10.1007/s10067-019-04887-6
- Measurement of patient outcome in arthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 1980; 23: 137-145https://doi.org/10.1002/art.1780230202
- Vergleichende evaluation einer deutschen version des Health Assessment Questionnaires (HAQ) und des Funktionsfragebogens Hannover (FFbH).Z Rheumatol. 1997; 56: 144-155https://doi.org/10.1007/s003930050030
- A new approach to defining functional ability in ankylosing spondylitis: The development of the bath ankylosing spondylitis functional index.J Rheumatol. 1994; 21: 2281-2285
- Validation of the 28-joint Disease Activity Score (DAS28) and European League Against Rheumatism response criteria based on C-reactive protein against disease progression in patients with rheumatoid arthritis, and comparison with the DAS28 based on erythr.Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 954-960https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.2007.084459
- Modified disease activity scores that include twenty-eight-joint counts development and validation in a prospective longitudinal study of patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 1995; 38: 44-48https://doi.org/10.1002/art.1780380107
- Simultaneous inference in general parametric models.Biometrical J. 2008; 50: 346-363https://doi.org/10.1002/bimj.200810425
- Combined spa-exercise therapy is effective in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: a randomized controlled trial.Arthritis Rheum. 2001; 45: 430-438
- The compelling link between physical activity and the body's defense system.J Sport Heal Sci. 2019; 8: 201-217https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jshs.2018.09.009
- Effects of whole body hyperthermia on plasma cortisol, total lymphocytes and -subpopulation in patients with ankylosing spondylitis and healthy controls.Phys Medizin Rehabil Kurortmedizin. 2005; 15: 44-47https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2004-834601