- •PET-CT is recommended as a first or a second-line imaging method for the evaluation of patients with FUO. We evaluated the yield of PET-CT vs. contrast enhanced CT (alone) for the diagnosis of classical FUO.
- •A single center, 8-year retrospective cohort study. All hospitalized patients who underwent PET-CT for the investigation of classical FUO between were included. For each case, we determined whether the diagnosis would have been reached based on the CT scan alone, or based on the PET-CT
- •A total of 303 patients with classical FUO were referred for PET-CT.
- •PET-CT had superior sensitivity vs CT (p=0.00) for all subgroups, with generally decreased specificity than CT for infections and inflammatory conditions. PET-CT was determined as necessary in 26% (79/303) of the patients.
- •Endovascular infection, hematological malignancy and large vessel vasculitis were the only factors associated with PET-CT necessity on multivariable analysis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Internal Medicine
- Fever of unexplained origin: report on 100 cases.Medicine (Baltimore). 1961; 40: 1
- Fever of unknown origin–reexamined and redefined.Curr Clin Top Infect Dis. 1991; 11: 35-51
- From prolonged febrile illness to fever of unknown origin: the challenge continues.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 1033-1041
- Fever of unknown origin in adults: evaluation of 144 cases in a non-university hospital.Scand J Infect Dis. 2006; 38 (632-)
- 18F-FDG PET and PET/CT in fever of unknown origin.J Nucl Med. 2007; 48: 35-45
- A meta-analysis of the value of fluorodeoxyglucose-PET/PET-CT in the evaluation of fever of unknown origin.Eur J Radiol. 2011; 80: 834-844
- Utility of fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography in patients with fever of unknown origin diagnosed as lymphoma.Med Principles Pract: Int J Kuwait Univ Health Sci Centre. 2014 Jul 17; (PubMed PMID: 25034855)
- Clinical value of [(18)F]fluoro-deoxyglucose positron emission tomography for patients with fever of unknown origin.Clin Infect Dis: Off Public Infect Dis Soc Am. 2001; 32: 191-196
- [18F]FDG-PET/CT for the diagnosis of patients with fever of unknown origin.QJM: Mon J Assoc Phys. 2015; 108: 289-298
Keidar, Z., Gurman-Balbir, A., Gaitini, D., & Israel, O. (n.d.). Fever of Unknown Origin: The Role of 18F-FDG PET/CT. https://doi-org.beilinson-ez.medlcp.tau.ac.il/10.2967/JNUMED.108.054692.
- Diagnostic performance of 18F-FDG PET/CT in patients with fever of unknown origin: a meta-analysis.Nucl Med Commun. 2013; 34 (Jul PubMed PMID: 23636293): 682-688
- A prospective multi-centre study of the value of FDG-PET as part of a structured diagnostic protocol in patients with fever of unknown origin.Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2007; 34: 694-703
- Fever of unknown origin (FUO) revised.Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2016; 128: 796-801
- Pyrexia of unknown origin 90 years on: a paradigm of modern clinical medicine.Postgrad Med J. 2015; 91: 665-669
- Role and cost effectiveness of PET/CT in management of patients with cancer.Yale J Biol Med. 2010; 83: 53-65
- KDIGO clinical practice guidelines for acute kidney injury.Nephron Clin Pract. 2012; 120: c179-c184
- Role of FDG-PET and PET/CT in the diagnosis and management of vasculitis.Eur J Radiol. 2010; 73: 504-509
- Large-vessel involvement in giant cell arteritis: a population-based cohort study of the incidence-trends and prognosis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2013; 72: 1989-1994
Ben Shimol J, Amital H, Lidar M, Domachevsky L, Shoenfeld Y, Davidson T. The utility of PET/CT in large vessel vasculitis. Sci Rep. 2020 Oct 19;10(1):17709. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-73818-2. PMID: 33077771; PMCID: PMC7572466.
- Positron emission tomography (PET) and single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) imaging of macrophages in large vessel vasculitis: current status and future prospects.Autoimmun. Rev. 2018; 17: 715-726
- Meta-analysis of 18F-FDG PET/CT in the diagnosis of infective endocarditis.J Nucl Cardiol. 2019; 26 (Jun Epub 2017 Oct 30. PMID: 29086386): 922-935https://doi.org/10.1007/s12350-017-1092-8
- 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of infective endocarditis: the Task Force for the Management of Infective Endocarditis of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Endorsed by: European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS), the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM).Eur Heart J. 2015; 36 (Nov 21): 3075-3128
- Diagnostic value of 18F-FDG-PET/CT in patients with FUO.J Clin Med. 2020; 9 (Jul 4 PMID: 32635566; PMCID: PMC7408628): 2112https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm9072112
- (1978) Metabolic trapping as a principle of radiopharmaceutical design: some factors responsible for the biodistribution of [18F] 2-deoxy-2-fluoro-D-glucose.J Nucl Med. 1978; 19 (PMID:214528): 1154-1161
- Worldwide availability and utilization of PET/CT from IAEA survey: potential for nuclear cardiology applications.Ann Nuclear Cardiol. 2019; 5 (https://doi-org.beilinson-ez.medlcp.tau.ac.il/10.17996/anc.19-00103): 44-46